Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
Should I pursue the warranty they have? They have a 60,000 mile warranty.

I love how quiet they are, the stability compared to BFG AT, and the packed snow and ice performance also compared to BFG.

Yes. Persue it if you think the wear is abnormal.
Hopefully you have reciepts if you had a shop rotate the tires for you.
You know manufacturers-they will look for every reason you are at fault.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

Any 14" option other than 175 profile...???

- Dave

[EDIT] I guess not... https://www.nokiantires.com/all-season-tires/nokian-rotiiva-at/ [/EDIT] Crying or Very sad

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
I have 16K miles on my Rotiivas. They are below 60% now. Worthless on snow and ice at this point. I rotated them three times in that period. My syncro seems to eat tires for lunch.

Something isn't right here. Three questions that immediately come to mind were: Where are they worn out? What tire pressures were you running? and When was the last time you had the van aligned? It could also be that your suspension is somewhat worn and has more compliance than it should. Contrary to popular belief the rear control arm bushings do not last forever.

If memory served I run my 16's pretty high, 46 front 48 rear as I recall. They have probably 25-30k miles and are worn between 40-60% on the snow bars in the tread. I might be running them a tad high at this point but the van is reasonably stable and they do not seem to be wearing the center excessively.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

What pressures do you guys run on the Rotiiva? I've been a bit annoyed trying to figuring that out. I haven't put many thousands of miles on mine but I'd say they seem to wear out a lot quicker than I would expect, although it's all in-town driving on crappy roads.

Regarding pressure, if going by equivalent to the door jamb sticker for my 86 2WD, that would result in 36 PSI in front and 39 in the rear, although to keep a similar spacing as with the stock tires, you'd want to ignore the 39 and just add 6-8 PSI to the front pressure instead to use for the rear? So something like 36/42 or 36/44. (max pressure on tire is 51). 36 might feel/look a bit deflated, but perhaps it's correct.

I think that the last time I've inflated them I was at 40/42. I want to go for best safety first, hopefully keep them from wearing out too fast, and my other concern is that the van gets pretty squirelly as soon as there's a bit of wind (super straight without wind) and since I haven't tested it with any other tires, it's hard to be 100% certain that the tires have a big impact on that, but given that a lot of other things were upgraded (new Bilstein HD shocks, T3 anti-sway bar with the HD end links, poly bushings)...
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

Guy, I didn't think the Rotiiva's were squirrely compared to other tires I have tried. I did notice they were not super long wearing, but not bad, similar to Firestone Destination or Geolander ATS. I don't recall what I had mine inflated to, but I usually like 40 front 45 rear.
Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

Thanks Dave.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

I've been running 42 front 47 rear on my loaded tin top.

I'm either going to go with BFG AT or Cooper AT before winter time. Buying five tires $sucks.
professorplumb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

Steve, did you end up filing a warranty claim? If so, what was the outcome?

I'm in the same boat you are - my Rotiivas are at 60% after a year and a half and are near useless in deep snow and/or ice. Nokian's warranty page seems to have enough exclusions and caveats that it doesn't seem worth trying to make a claim though.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

I couldn't find my receipt from tires by web for the Nokian purchase so I sh!t canned them.

I went with BFG TAK02 215/70R16 for replacements. Five of them of course. I also got a set of studded Cooper evo winter tires and an extra set of CLKs.
professorplumb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

Sounds good, thanks for replying. I think I'll probably do the $$$ame.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

Just an update on the Rotiva AT

Twice in the past 3 yrs. I experienced hydraplaning with them when braking suddenly.
Both times it was after it rained and the road was wet where you see the water mist coming off tires of the cars around you. Speed was between 35-45mph.

I will be looking for another tire when the tread gets to minimum, maybe sooner.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

I have these on my F150 and they're fantastic in all road conditions. Wish I could put some on my Westy . . .
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: