Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
We had the annual Bug Jam event here in Auckland over the weekend.
How is this for a tidy engine bay? I have the VintageSpeed roofrack: Martin has the VintageSpeed exhaust/muffler underneath.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looks like a great day!
That is a beautiful engine bay! Real attention to detail, so I'm interested that he has put a filter on the higher pressure side of the pump.
I wonder if he's planning to paint the wood under the battery the same colour as the rest of the engine bay!? Wink

Love your roof rack! Cool

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:
We had the annual Bug Jam event here in Auckland over the weekend.
How is this for a tidy engine bay? I have the VintageSpeed roofrack: Martin has the VintageSpeed exhaust/muffler underneath.

Looks like a great day!
That is a beautiful engine bay! Real attention to detail, so I'm interested that he has put a filter on the higher pressure side of the pump.
I wonder if he's planning to paint the wood under the battery the same colour as the rest of the engine bay!? :wink:

Love your roof rack! 8)

Hi Phil, To do him justice, Martin has just completed his restoration, and we spoke about his fuel-filter. He is going to move it to a position next to the gear box underneath and is likely going to get one of those steel and glass filters.

I'm going to try persuading him to kove the battery to under the back seat.

You should see his Ghia: The attention to detail is unbelieveble.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

After a year of prevaricating I got around to replacing and repositioning the quarter window channels. I haven't been able to close (into the lock position) the pop-outs ever since I got my Ghia back on the road. The result was a lot of road noise in my ears.

Here's the damaged old part.

Old and new together:

I started by cleaning the bed where the channel has to sit.

Next I put some window rubber sealant under the corner to prevent/reduce leaking.

The new channel in its rubber bed: The rubber also received a dose of sealant on the underside:

Everything back together before the final rubber:

With everything reinstalled, my pop-outs can lock at last.

I took Emiko for a test drive: The car is so quiet now - with the pop-outs closed - that I'm now considering reinstalling my radio.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
After a year of prevaricating I got around to replacing and repositioning the quarter window channels. I haven't been able to close (into the lock position) the pop-outs ever since I got my Ghia back on the road. The result was a lot of road noise in my ears.

Old and new together:

I took Emiko for a test drive: The car is so quiet now - with the pop-outs closed - that I'm now considering reinstalling my radio.

While it could be just a trick of the camera angle or something like that, it appears to me that the new piece looks slightly wider than the old one.

Assuming that it actually is wider, do you think that may have something to do with the quarter window being able to close more completely and lock easier now?
Perhaps with a wider area in which to spread out, the rubber seal can now compress a bit easier?
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

A quiet car is a happy car driver. Nice work.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I've finally got around to tackling the gas fumes problem on my car. When I turn hard right, gas fumes fill the cabin. Filled, I should say, because it's a problem no more.

There were gas stains on the paintwork in the wheel well below the air vent for the gas tank. I deduced that on a right hand turn the gas spurts out that vent. The stains are faintly visible here.

This is the kit for the cure. (I used the plastic tube to test my repair plan. I attached it to the vent tube and drove around the block. It was filled with gas.)

The problem begins and ends with the vent the gas tank needs to suck in air as the fuel pump and carbs suck gas from the tank. I plugged that vent once, and my Ghia chugged to a halt, and only recovered when I removed the plug. The vent is the small black pipe (unplugged) you see here. The other is the drain pipe for gas or water around the filler cap ('68 Ghia).

Step 1 is to attach a short piece of gas hose to the vent, like here:

Step 2 is to secure the gas hose to the splash guard with a clamp. This requires some drilling into the guard. The hose is also clamped at both ends to ensure no spill.

Step 3 is to attach the hard line (copper) and secure it also with clamps. The clamps have rubber sleeves to protect the copper from the stainless steel of the clamps.

This system allows the vent to do its work - drawing in air as the gas level in the tank falls - while also allowing gas to escape to a position under the car instead of splashing against the wheel well and finding its way in the form of fumes into the cabin.

If I were to do the job again, I would route the gas hose and copper line behind the splash guard. Come to think of it: I'll definitey do that some other day.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:

The problem begins and ends with the vent the gas tank needs to suck in air as the fuel pump and carbs suck gas from the tank. I plugged that vent once, and my Ghia chugged to a halt, and only recovered when I removed the plug. The vent is the small black pipe (unplugged) you see here. The other is the drain pipe for gas or water around the filler cap ('68 Ghia).

Step 1 is to attach a short piece of gas hose to the vent, like here:

Step 2 is to secure the gas hose to the splash guard with a clamp. This requires some drilling into the guard. The hose is also clamped at both ends to ensure no spill.

Step 3 is to attach the hard line (copper) and secure it also with clamps. The clamps have rubber sleeves to protect the copper from the stainless steel of the clamps.

Looks good, But I would recommend putting in a 'shepherds crook' in at the top , tucked in to the top of the stash guard. Just to give a little more hieght clearance from the fluid level.

Theory:
You fill up the tank full. Then go park the Ghia somewhere on an angle towards the cap side. The sun bakes down and the gas expands . Gas pushes out and starts to drip towards the new vent line....... Suddenly there is a siphon effect because the drain is below the holding tank . Later cars had and expansion can to prevent that.

Some carb-distributor combos had shepherds crooks for basically the same reasons:

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

swavananda wrote:
kiwighia68 wrote:

Looks good, But I would recommend putting in a 'shepherds crook' in at the top , tucked in to the top of the stash guard. Just to give a little more height clearance from the fluid level.

Theory:
You fill up the tank full. Then go park the Ghia somewhere on an angle towards the cap side. The sun bakes down and the gas expands . Gas pushes out and starts to drip towards the new vent line....... Suddenly there is a siphon effect because the drain is below the holding tank . Later cars had and expansion can to prevent that... Some carb-distributor combos had shepherds crooks for basically the same reasons:

Sound advice, no doubt, and thank you for it. I'm going to implement it today.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I have no idea what a "shepherds crook" is but I would have put a loop in the line up at the top. Cool Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
I have no idea what a "shepherds crook" is but I would have put a loop in the line up at the top. 8) :wink:

I didn't either, but now I'm better informed (if none the wiser). Swavananda's photo of the engine bay with one in place educated me.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Implemented Swavananda's advice today: Shepherd's hook tucked in high up:

Wheel arch tidied up, as you see it here:

I bought some thicker gas line from a marine equipment supplier. He told me 2 things: "This fuel line has been approved by the US Coastguard."

And:

"Wow, that's the nicest Porsche I've ever seen."
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Either you cheated and knew how that vent hose looks on later ghias or you're a clever man. Here's my 71 and I happen to be dealing with that hose now. It goes upwards, into the body, then shortly back out again as a metal line (as seen here) all the way down to the pan. Feels a little circuitous and the metal line is exposed so your solution actually looks a little cleaner!

I'll have to try a marine equipment store too for that fuel hose. Haven't been able to find one in that small diameter so I just have a vacuum hose for now.

And what are you using for that other overflow hose? It looks like a clear accordion style hose. I need a replacement there as well.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
Either you cheated and knew how that vent hose looks on later ghias or you're a clever man. Here's my 71 and I happen to be dealing with that hose now. It goes upwards, into the body, then shortly back out again as a metal line (as seen here) all the way down to the pan. Feels a little circuitous and the metal line is exposed so your solution actually looks a little cleaner!

I'll have to try a marine equipment store too for that fuel hose. Haven't been able to find one in that small diameter so I just have a vacuum hose for now.

And what are you using for that other overflow hose? It looks like a clear accordion style hose. I need a replacement there as well.

No cheating - and I've made a fool of myself so many times that clever is not a word even I would associate with my efforts.

I've seen no post 1970 Ghias in New Zealand. My mate Dean has a '69, and Michael a '65, and they have the same problem. Dean, at least, I know does. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and after a bit of experimenting, and some help from Swavananda, I settled for the configuration you see in the photos.

As to your car: Yours has an extra pipe going into the body and exiting again, as you point out. Then there is the small pipe going towards the back of the car, but ending right there. That looks like the vent I have on mine and to which I attached the gas/fuel hose you see in my photos.

The other hose you mention (short with the 90 degree bend in it and on the right in your photo) also takes spill from the gas tank back to the tank (I think of the process as reflux). The hose I have there is impervious to gas and has a spiral wire inside. I have a small piece spare (enough for your purposes). PM me your address and I'll put it in the mail for you. I was told it is special gas line and received it at no charge.

The gas hose you need is of the same internal diameter as the ones we use for the carbs on the VW motor. It shouldn't be too difficult to find that, although I went for the more sturdy hose used in marine environments.
J1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Thanks for your generosity on that elbow piece! PM coming soon.

Do you happen to know if that is intended to be a fuel hose and where one might find something like that? For future reference
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

J1 wrote:
Thanks for your generosity on that elbow piece! PM coming soon.

Do you happen to know if that is intended to be a fuel hose and where one might find something like that? For future reference

This is what the hose looks like I was told that it was "fuel rated."

Where to buy? I found it at a place here that sells hoses and clamps. The 2 men working there are both VW nut cases (like me) and when I showed them the application, they agreed that this hose would serve the purpose.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

For a minute I thought you'd been drinking at the Cricket Chris... Wink

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
For a minute I thought you'd been drinking at the Cricket Chris... :wink:

Looks like a lot of English and Australians there, judging by the colours and uniforms. No good at cricket, but can they drink! As your photo demonstrates.
swavananda
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
Implemented Swavananda's advice today: Shepherd's hook tucked in high up:

"

Wow, nicely done. But it is a crook ,not hook Laughing I'm not making that up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shepherd%27s_crook

Although ,I'm not sure if thats the 'official VW' term for the distributer vac line.....
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Shepherd's crook it is, and I stand corrected.

Writing from a country with only 4.5 million people and more than 50 million sheep, one would have thought I would get that right.Not even counting Swavananda's prompt.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I installed a speedometer gear to accommodate the smaller tyres I have on the front - 165/65/R15.

It fits on the back of the speedo - 5 minutes installation - and corrects the reading on the speedo to within about 2% accuracy.

I have a niggle with my carbs. Twin webers. From a cold start there is no problem with the car accelerating smoothly through the gears and even at low revs going uphill it pulls strongly and smoothly. Note, at low revs. However, when the motor has warmed up - say, after ten minutes of running - there is some hesitation and spluttering at low revs.

Help please.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Page 78 of 90

Jump to: