Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Made the front cross-member for the console.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There's no fun in working right next to my Ghia and not being allowed to drive it. Beautiful weather here in NZ.
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Agreed... I want to be passenger when you stress out the Z bar. Laughing
Nicholas
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Looking good. Are you going to upholster it?
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

xzener wrote:
Looking good. Are you going to upholster it?

For sure. I started with the foam padding.

Next will be the vinyl matching my Ghia's seat upholstery.

[I want to be passenger when you stress out the Z bar. Nicholas]

Our day will come, Nicholas, soon I hope. In the meantime we have to sit out the lockdown. I keep thinking that not many of our fellow Sambanista have the pleasure of having one of out editors around the corner, to share rides with, have a beer and a meal together, and generally to receive free advice on our projects (even foolish ones, like making a centre console to no real purpose).
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

First panel vinyl'd. Next will be the assembly. Still no more than a prototype for when I may leave my house and buy better material.

kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I'm getting there. I still have to add some more bracing and then I'll be able to fit my prototype later today.

It looks like we are going to come out of lockdown in about 10 days - only 18 new cases yesterday - and then I'll be able to buy some more substantial materials for the final product.

I'm already thinking of another project. Maybe a template for the rear "inner wings" for Lokari to make me a set to match the ones I've ordered for the front.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Assembled and fitted. There is room for a set of gauges, perhaps oil pressure, oil temp and voltage?

It works as a prototype but I'll have to get stiffer materials - marine ply? - and work on the fit, and maybe a little on the style as well. I could extend it so that the gear lever seat is within the console.

I'd appreciate comments and advice on a better model (and perhaps on the concept of having a console at all).

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Are you gonna be able to depress the clutch without getting your foot caught beneath the brake pedal or your other foot while it’s on the brake?

That just looks dangerous to me, but I wear 15s

The console looks a bit ‘80s HVWs cover car-ish.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I think you’re on the right track but I’d change the profile a little.

Also, think about cup holders

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Looks good but functionally does nothing at the moment. Gauges are one option, but might look slightly odd on the upholstery. I imagine a pull-out bin/storage cubby, hinged at the bottom. I can’t think of an example, but bank night deposit boxes used to hinge like that, or a laundry chute...

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Like this!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
I'd appreciate comments and advice on a better model (and perhaps on the concept of having a console at all).
Your handiwork is quite nice, but would you consider an alternative prototype? I'd like to see how a 1/3 height unit suspended from the dash might work. Are the openings used to mount the lower dash pad available to hang a similarly contoured cabinet? That could provide a place to sequester a (bluetooth?) audio system for music the radio doesn't offer, and of course one of those classy retractable cup or cell phone holders could be installed in the front. Cool While I do like gauges Wink, I think to be useful the voltage should be complemented with an indication of current; a combination oil pressure/temperature gauge in place of a clock could prove more useful to some, but I digress. I think the appeal of your dash lies in its clean simplicity, and the openness you sacrifice with a full height center console somehow detracts from the accessibility of the passenger compartment, but that's just my opinion Speak to the hand
Paul70Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

If you want a console it looks a pretty good start but has a lot of unused volume which seems a shame not to put to good use.

That said I prefer the open look - with a basket shelf for extra storage.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I like it, turned out great. I would have not upholstered the front piece. IMO would look better painted to match the dash with said gauges. I may steal this idea. Cool
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I think you’re on the right track but I’d change the profile a little.

Also, think about cup holders

Thanks everyone for your comments and advice. I think my next effort will be to construct something along the lines of Jeffrey's suggestion. (A modified version of the "cheap" plastic tray I have at the moment, eh Crocteau?) Jeffrey's model will also leave my painted dash uncluttered and leave space to hang a trio of gauges where the ashtray is currently.

To be honest, the prototype I've built looked better in the contemplation than it does once installed. It's going to come out.

It's true: There's a lot of wasted space there, and I need a console of this nature as much as John Moxon needs a pink spoiler on the rear deckled of his Ghia.

This project kept me occupied during a period of compulsory isolation and was good for my mental health. It looks like we'll come out of total lockdown in about 10 days. Nicholas and I will for sure have coffee somewhere far from home after a drive in my Ghia. It's time for Emiko (and me) to come off the battery charger.
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I for one have enjoyed following this build and you have given me some ideas when I figure out if/when I decide to build a console. I think the basic design is good, but after you set it in place and decided you don't like it, so be it!

Another question, where did you get the shift knob? It looks similar to my dash and looks large enough to fit my hand, that is if my shift threading matches, looks really nice.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
... Another question, where did you get the shift knob? It looks similar to my dash and looks large enough to fit my hand, that is if my shift threading matches, looks really nice.
Jeff

Jeff

I went through all my crates of used parts, discarded boxes etc. but could not find the box in which the gear knob came. I found the invoice, though, but I'm not sure it will be helpful. The item is described as KZ68K1 GEAR KNOB WOOD LONG. When I tried to find it on google there was no clear response.

Sorry.

Chris M
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Thanks Chris, no worries, I thought it would look nice in mine, so, the search continues!
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

Looks kinda like a Momo shift knob if that helps any.
https://www.amazon.com/MOMO-peach-shift-Short-SK106/dp/B00D8ZC598

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Saving Emiko: 68 RHD Restoration in New Zealand Reply with quote

I have developed such an antipathy to rust that I've gone hunting for rust to keep me busy (and near, if not in, my Ghia). We may be coming a level down on Covid-19 next week, with only 8 new cases yesterday (11 deaths from over 1400 cases so far), with the new case numbers reducing steadily, and that means that I may be allowed to drive my car again - up to about 45km from home, they say.

Anyway, I looked for rust in the fresh air vents, and found not rust but dirt that had accumulated on the tacky rust-proofing I had used. Four years' dirt in there.

Wash, wash wash with soap and water before cleaning with kerosene.

Then treat with Tectyl again before reassembly.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90  Next
Jump to:
Page 87 of 90

Jump to: