Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

With the e85 I would rather have the higher compression even in a bus. With the programmable ignition I would think custom maps would ease any pre ignition concerns.
Chase1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

Vince,

First off, this thread has been great. It was extremely helpful when I built my engine. I probably account for a good number of views.

I don't know about France, but in the States--at least in my area--the percentage of ethanol is not very consistent and the quality of the fuel and how long it has been sitting in the tank. I live near the US Department of Energy and got luckily, as they fuel their vehicles at the same station and they monitor the fuel quality. A flex fuel sensor or hydrometer will tell you how much alcohol is in your system so you can account for it but being you have carbs it would be a pain to account if there are wild swings. Another issue is to make sure your fuel system is compatible with e85 and that you don't leave the e85 in your tank for extended periods of time as it will absorb water more readily from the air. Finally, e85 requires ~40% more fuel in the combustion chamber to equal the same amount of energy as gasoline (in layman terms).

All that considered, if you do go with e85 I would keep the compression where it is on the 86b as you are pretty much in the sweet spot for it. Plus from what I remember, you run a pretty tight deck already. If you choose to bump it up, a good tune for fuel and setting up your ignition curve for a bus will keep you out of the detonation zone. I'd prefer EFI for this but knowing the attention to detail of your build, I'm sure you are more than capable.

Despite the speed bumps, I use e85 on my engine and love the results; however, it is turbo and runs EFI (Megasquirt) with a knock sensor.

Good luck.
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

this would have been a very useful reference thread except all the images are dead, so it's basically useless.

what is it with hosting pics externally, is uploading to samba really that difficult?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

Yes this was one of the best threads for all the tips and tricks for building a VW performance engine. It is too bad it has been lost.
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

I have an offline version of those pages with all pics, if a moderator can let me edit all messages I could upload the pics in my gallery then make this topic live again. The engine will be opened in a few months to swap the rods for H beams, swapp the FK44 for a 86B cam, then some cooling mods.

Click here for my full pix detailed 2165 engine build with beehive valvetrain.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm a French guy ... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

that would be great. i'm holding my breath Sick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

Yes please fix the pictures if you want people to be able to get anything from this.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

Hey Vince.
What's the idea with the 86b?
Was you Fk44 a split duration or did I imagine that?
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

My previous engine 2074 had a split Fk43 intake Fk7 exhaust cam. I plan to swap the FK 44 for the 86 B because the FK44 is a bit Noisy and à little harsh for the valve train.

Edit : Rescued all 802 pictures of this topic, gonna start uploading those in my gallery tomorrow, then I'll Ask Everett to let me edit all posts when pictures are ready to be linked again.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

Pics are now uploaded in my gallery but I can't edit messages as I they've been written for too long, going to contact the admin to have the feature unlocked.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

That's awesome! I'm interested!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

Thanks for re-posting everything here.
I am giving him access to fix all the posts!
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Thank you for that EB!
Very nice of you to let Vince upload his pics here and update the thread.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

+1 thx
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

This topic is now fully readable, Thanks for your interest, Thanks Everett too !

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

Dancing Applause Popcorn
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

just read this after the image update, instead of working. fantastic! but my boss is going to kill me (i'm self employed).
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

Glad to see the pics back.

How have the beehives held up after all this time? Anything else you would change about the build looking back?
vince1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
Glad to see the pics back.

How have the beehives held up after all this time? Anything else you would change about the build looking back?

Engine will be torn down when I have time to do it, springs did not break but the engine don't have many miles on it (maybe 5000?). I started to work in the house (converted attic) and left the bus in the garage. I plan a quick tear down and rebuild just to check internals (will even keep bearings if they look good)

-Swap the FK44 (noisy) for a quieter web 86B bought this past winter, keeping the same tool steel lifters as you can do it with those.

-Swap the I beam rods for CB H-Beams bought this past spring.

-Swap the 38 vents for 36/40 Rick-Hunt/Berg grooved vents.

-Cooling mods by removing the stock oil cooler to give maximum air to cylinders and heads. New non dog house shroud, keep the venturi ring, mocal thermostatic sandwich plate, and a 96 pass vented oil cooler under the rear axle.

-Ditch the generator for an alternator, new powder coated engine tins, AN push lock hose fittings everywhere.

-Maybe a CB black box, I use a smartphone appication combined with an ELM327 bluetooth transmitter in my modern car and when I look for timing advance, I can see that we are in prehistoric ages with our centifugal distributors lol.

I'm currently slowly collecting those parts then, when all is here, I'll start the tear down and rebuild to have a fast turn around.

Grego in Sac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A Hot 2165 engine for my '71 panelvan (beehive valvetrain) Reply with quote

Great thread, excited to start my motor build and this has given me a lot of confidence!

On a side note regarding the powder for the total seal rings to help seat them, a story that my old shop foreman who was a NASCAR mechanic back in the 70’s and 80’s told me was they use to use Comet, the green bathroom abrasive cleaner, on the cylinder walls to break in a rebuilt motor in a hurry. Like between the pits and the starting grid kinda hurry!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: