Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 71 Small Pop Top Riviera
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: My 71 Small Pop Top Riviera Reply with quote

TOOTSIE!!! That's her name. She's a 1971 Small Pop top Riviera. Let's back up a little. I had VWs in different type but never had a Type 2. But I always dream of a DC which I have right now before I saw Tootsie, her name is Zoey, but that's a whole different story. After I got my DC, I had a craving for a camper. And there were 3 major things that I want when I was looking. 1st, it's gotta be a bay. 2nd, it's gotta be a small pop top. And 3rd, it's gotta be a 71.

I live here in SoCal. And I looked and waited, and then looked and waited some more but I can't find those 3 combination that I want. Until one day, there she was in Craigslist. A 1971 Small Pop Top Riviera! BINGO!!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There was one big problem though, she was in Oregon. A 12hour long drive. Confused But I was not doing anything and bored (I was on family leave at that time) so what the heck. I called the PO and we talked over the phone. He said that the photos on CL were old, those were before they stripped her. Now the bus was on primer, only the front seats and Z-bed, and the tranny and engine is out and in pieces. I asked him to send me photos of the current condition. And these what I got;

Ugh.. Shocked I asked him, what happen. He explained that he was in the process of fixing her but found a Split that he really wants. So he put her up for sale. He was originally asking $2900 for it. I offered $2000. And he agreed.

So off to Oregon I did. 12 long hours of driving. It was a nice drive though going there,

And I stopped and slept before I reached my destination. The next day, I arrived at the place and check her out. Lower windshield, no rust. Both dog legs, perfect. Under carriage, good. PO mentioned some bondo on the rear corner, I said ok. Not that bad, I said. The PO put a nice new carpet on the floor where he put all the parts (engine, tranny, etc. etc) inside the bus. I lifted the carpet partially by the sliding door to see the floor and it looked good. I said hmmmm even the floor is in good condition huh? PO didn't say anything. So we did the paperwork paid the guy. And then he asked me how am I gonna bring the bus home. I said, with my truck. "With that?!", he said. It's a 1998 Toyota Tacoma ext cab Wink . "Is that 6 Cylinder?", he asked. I said, "nope, 4 cylinder". And I can see the look in his face, thinking I was crazy. So how are you gonna do it? I said "I'll tow it with this, and showed him my "BUG" tow bar. I had a custom made bumper where I attached the short tow bar to make it work. And he watched me attached the the tow bar coz he wanted to copy my set up.

And here we go, I managed to pull out from his unpaved drive way which was very steep and very sharp curb with no problem. I stopped when I got down his hill and attached the safety chain and I noticed one tire was kinda low on air (front, right side). On my way out, I stopped by a small store to ask for the nearest gas station. On my way out I had to make a very sharp turn to get out of the parking lot. I made it to the gas station but I noticed my tow bar was bent.

(If you zoom the photo, you'll see the bent tow bar)

"Uh-oh!!! This is not good". I was only 5 miles away from where I got the bus. I took it off and I jumped on it and it straighten a little bit.

So I moved from the gas station to the parking lot and the tow bar collapsed completely Confused .I disconnected the bus from the truck to assess the damage and it was not good. I tried to straighten it again and I did but I knew I will not get far and it will be very dangerous to continue using it. Then I remembered on my way here I saw a VW junkyard. I did a search on my phone and I got the number. I called and somebody answered. I asked if they have another bug tow bar and he said yes but it was not for sale. I told him my situation and he agreed to sell it to me but he has to find it first and he said I need to be there in a few minutes because he was closing for the day, it was 4:30pm. "Oh great" I thought. "I'll call you back in few minutes", he said.

Few minutes later, nothing. "I'm screwed big time", I thought. "Think, think, think". Rolling Eyes And all of a sudden a bulb in mind lit up, 2 WORDS! HARBOR FREIGHT!! I googled if there was an HF nearby, and there was!! Only 5 miles away! So I called them if they have the universal tow bar on stock and they said, "Yes, and it's on sale for $74 right now". YES!! Woohoo!! So I unhooked the bus and left a message on the window, "Please do not tow my bus. I'm just fixing my tow bar. I'll be back." So I went to pick up the tow bar. Upon inspecting it, I noticed in the box, it says, "fit a 2" ball" (I had 1 7/8"). Ok, no problem I'll just buy a 2" ball. But HF didn't have a 2" ball with 2 3/4" shank length which I needed. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, I don't have a dedicated tow hitch on my truck. I only have the bumper with the 3500lbs limit. Twisted Evil So I looked for an Auto store and luckily there was an O'Reilly nearby and they had the ball that I needed.

Went back to the bus and started assembling the tow bar. Upon assembly, I found out that the configuration of the tow bar will not work on my custom made bumper. I needed 4 new holes on the bumper to make it work. Rolling Eyes "Oh crap!". So I asked in the gas station if there was an auto shop nearby where I can bring the bumper to drill holes on it. The guy said, "Yes, only 2 miles away that way. But they must be close by now." It was past 5pm already. "F€#%!!". Oh what the hell, let me try anyway". And I'm glad I did. Because they were still open. I told the guy where to drill and how big the holes I needed. After a few minutes, "here yah go, $20". I thanked him and told him what was going on and he said good luck.

I drove back to the parking lot to see if the bus was still there. And yes, she was still there. Smile I hooked up everything and it was perfect!

And then I transferred everything that was in the bus to the back of my truck to make it more stable on the freeway. So after $250 worth of gas. $74 for the tow bar, $10 for the tow ball, $20 for the machine shop, we finally made it home. Laughing

Oh yeah. On my way home, I was thinking, what am I gonna call her. And Tootsie Roll came to my mind, I know she's not really dark brown, I was probably hungry during that time and I love tootsie roll. Wink OK! TOOTSIE it is then. Laughing
1969 Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Skoolieman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a really awesome bus! That is one crazy story for the trip home. Glad you got it home safe. I was worried as I was reading the story as to what the end would bring. Congrats on the nice find. Now lets see some pics of the dc.
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here they are. The SISTERS. Smile DC is my daily driver. But the heater is not connected and it's kinda chilly here right now in SoCal. So I'm using my Tacoma for now. Also I need to troubleshoot my electrical because my battery dies after not using the truck for 3 days. But it rans really good.

1969 Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was a pretty decent story. Im glad everything worked out. whats your plans for her. cant wait to see what you do for it.
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skoolieman & Hoagy86.

Right now I'm doing body works. I'll post some photos later. But the plan is repaint her to OG color. I have to strip that ugly primer. PO stripped her to bare metal and used that brown primer. So it will be easy for me to strip, only one layer of primer. After I strip that primer, I'll spray her with epoxy primer. She's is originally red so we will paint her original color.

When she's ready to received a new "heart", we will give her e healthy 1776cc. I'm still thorn between SP & DP Rolling Eyes . I want SP for better torque but I want a single progressive carburetor (weber or dellorto). Is there anybody here with that kind of set up? If not possible, I'll probably consider DP so that I can ran that single progressive carburetor or a single stock carburetor if I get an SP. I don't want to deal with syncronising and adjusting 2 carburetors. I just want simplicity and easy maintenance. Tranny will be probably stock configuration, I might go with Rancho. Her shoes will be BF Goodrich AT.

And then when she's all healthy and kicking well, we'll give her a custom made interior. Sorry Purist but her interior will be different from OG. Twisted Evil This is why I didn't mint that she was naked when I bought her. She will have solid wood interior, my "boss" want Maple with natural stain. So maple all over her. And then she'll have a stove and oven combo, a sink, and a refrigerator. All of these are brand new. It's kinda hard to swallow the price of the ref because its almost $800 Confused , but we need it.

This is not gonna be a car show. In fact far from it. We will use this camper, we'll,,, to camp what else. That's why I'm not gonna go crazy with the paint. We'll do the paint ourselves (me & the boss). If it turns out good, great! If not, who cares. We just want a paint better than a rattle can.

As with the interior, woodworking is happen to be one of my hobby so I have all the equipment to do the cabinet and panelling.

I'll try to post here my progress but please forgive me for not having a descent photos. I'll only use my phone the whole time during this build. And this will also take some time but our target is to finish her by summer of 2014. Very Happy
1969 Buggy
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon close inspection, this is what I found. The good. Smile Windshield area (only a few pinholes). Lower nose/valance is good, both doglegs are good, roof is very good. The bad: both rockers, both rear corners, under the driver seat has some holes also, front floors, both battery trays are gone, and the big head ache is the cargo floor. It looks like I'm gonna need to change the whole cargo floor. Crying or Very sad

1969 Buggy
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackivory69 wrote:
It looks like I'm gonna need to change the whole cargo floor. Crying or Very sad

Looks from here like somebody already did, but sadly they used those crappy thin black floors and didn't do any sealing or paint afterwards. Too bad because the work looks OK for what was available 10-20 years ago and may have lasted if they finished the job.

BTW...nice tire Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
blackivory69 wrote:
It looks like I'm gonna need to change the whole cargo floor. Crying or Very sad

Looks from here like somebody already did, but sadly they used those crappy thin black floors and didn't do any sealing or paint afterwards. Too bad because the work looks OK for what was available 10-20 years ago and may have lasted if they finished the job.

BTW...nice tire Shocked

Hello to you Sir busdaddy. Smile Actually the floor is still the original. But the PO stripped it and let it rust. I was the one who started drilling all those weld spot and draw some line to prepare cutting the whole floor. No wonder when I made a comment on the floor the PO didn't say a word. Evil or Very Mad

I know. I can't imagine how I made that 750 miles trip with those tires. That's why I asked for a spare just in case. Rolling Eyes
1969 Buggy
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh,,OK, I saw the row of non factory welds along the left side panel and what look like welds along the back of the crossmember where it meets the floor in the tire pic, either way it's a bummer.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Ahhhh,,OK, I saw the row of non factory welds along the left side panel and what look like welds along the back of the crossmember where it meets the floor in the tire pic, either way it's a bummer.

Actually you are right busdaddy. The 2nd photo (under carriage) was taken after I finished welding the new floor. Yes, this blog is not up to date but it will catch up in a bit. You have good eyes busdaddy. Smile
1969 Buggy
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bus. My friend Mike has a 75 like yours with an upright engine. I especially like the way you rolled that thing all that way with thatt cheesy set up and bitchin tire. Very Happy Very Happy
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ned wrote:
Nice bus. My friend Mike has a 75 like yours with an upright engine. I especially like the way you rolled that thing all that way with thatt cheesy set up and bitchin tire. Very Happy Very Happy

Hi ned,

May I ask why your friend converted it to an upright? Believe it or not that set up is really stable and solid. I was doing 65 mph with out a problem. Although I only cruised 60 mph most of the time, I can go a lot faster Twisted Evil , but I don't want to get a speeding ticket.

When I saw the tires I asked for a spare right away and prayed. Luckily I made it with out a hitch. Smile
1969 Buggy
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to order the whole floor but I found a very healthy donor floor that also came from a 71 according to the seller in Craigslist. So I pick it up. It's already been cut.

It looks dirty because it was. Smile But it was really a solid floor. The only rust was under those plates where you anchor the bench. I cut them and welded new pieces that was left over when I did my DC.

And then I started cutting the floor. And drilled hundreds of weld spots. Confused

After breaking a few drill bits and a couple of spot weld bits. The whole floor was gone. I treated the cross member with the rust converter and then brushed a commercial grade primer on them.

1969 Buggy
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow your not messing around with it our you haha that's a real nice job still watching Popcorn
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After drilling hundreds of those spot welds, it's time to test fit the donor floor. And start welding it.

Welding the floor was not so bad but there were a lot of pin holes. Confused Hoping that POR 15 will take care of those. I ordered quart of POR 15 gas tank sealer. And started applying it with a brush.

The next day, it came out good.Smile

1969 Buggy
geopanoramic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strong work Cool
hoagy86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good man. Pinholes on german floors>no pinholes on aftermarket floor repair panels. I'm real happy for you getting that nice floor in and that you made it safe on you towing trip. I have a similar tale but I was in the bus and someone else was towing!
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
blackivory69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remembered the PO mentioning the rear corners have a "little bit" of Bondo. So I went to the rear to investigate.

It looks good right? I opened the hatch and looked inside. I looked to the drivers side, yeap a little bit, I think I can flatten it more, no biggie. And then I turned to the passenger side and "HOLY COW!" Shocked This is what I saw,

I dug a little area on the corner and this is what I got,

So I called the guy where I bought the floor and bought the corners that he had lying on his backyard. And I started cutting, this was what "little bit of bondo" the PO was talking about. Rolling Eyes

1969 Buggy
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress?
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: