Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23 Reply with quote

Damn, that's a beautiful bus Jack.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23 Reply with quote

I know you told me you finally got the gold table trim, but I don't recall seeing a pic. LOVE it! I was actually down at the house in St. Pete during Bulli, but I was preoccupied and it totally slipped off my radar Mad . Would have loved to see the 'ol bus once again in its decked out camping mode at Ft. Desoto, and also finally see Lorne's. We all gotta do something together before I get the house sold and move away from Gville!

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23 Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Damn, that's a beautiful bus Jack.

Thanks Dan...hope you're still having fun with yours!

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
I know you told me you finally got the gold table trim, but I don't recall seeing a pic. LOVE it! I was actually down at the house in St. Pete during Bulli, but I was preoccupied and it totally slipped off my radar Mad . Would have loved to see the 'ol bus once again in its decked out camping mode at Ft. Desoto, and also finally see Lorne's. We all gotta do something together before I get the house sold and move away from Gville!

It's the icing on the cake, isn't it Kent? A guy in Germany found a stash of NOS trim, recently, that's better than the trim you see in the photos above. It has the rounded top edge exactly as the original trim on my cargo door table. I ordered a set and will be replacing what's in the pics. Yeah, missed you at Bulli! If you're in GV Jan 13 (Sunday), several of us are planning on going to the re-formed Gainesville Cars 'n Coffee. Ride with me or bring one of your babies Smile
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23 Reply with quote

jjjjack wrote:

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:

It's the icing on the cake, isn't it Kent? A guy in Germany found a stash of NOS trim, recently, that's better than the trim you see in the photos above. It has the rounded top edge exactly as the original trim on my cargo door table. I ordered a set and will be replacing what's in the pics. Yeah, missed you at Bulli! If you're in GV Jan 13 (Sunday), several of us are planning on going to the re-formed Gainesville Cars 'n Coffee. Ride with me or bring one of your babies Smile

We certainly talk and visit in person far more often than we chirp back and forth on this great forum. But to bring the rest up to date, I did see the gold trim in person and f'ing melted! It is PERFECT! I absolutely love that bus and continue to say that I am SO GLAD you are the current custodian. I haven't seen you drive it in quite some time. Now that I'm in town more, we need to do a Chuy's run again Razz

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23 Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
I am SO GLAD you are the current custodian. I haven't seen you drive it in quite some time. Now that I'm in town more, we need to do a Chuy's run again Razz

Danke Kent! Always down for Chuys Smile Let's take the VWs to the next Cars 'N Coffee!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thuestis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23 Reply with quote

Jack,

It was seeing your beautiful Westfalia & reading your bus's story several years ago is what inspired me to seek out and eventually find & buy my SO 23.

I have to admit, your colors are my absolute favorite.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23 Reply with quote

^^^It was certainly surprising to discover what lay beneath the respray! Remarkable feat by Jack to remove it revealing the original paint, then painstakingly testing and retesting colors to air brush in some of the flawed areas. The time lapse video is awesome!

Jack, the '66 KG gets delivered in the morning so maybe we can do the Cars and Coffee soon ('specially when it's a tad cooler Smile )

jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23 Reply with quote

Thanks Tim. They're all magic, aren't they. That sw red is poppin in that pic! Absolutely gorgeous Exclamation

Kent, can't wait to see the KG...will get in touch to do camera duty on arrival!
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23 Reply with quote

Another Bulli Brigade (26) come and gone...enjoying my baby more every year!

Absolutely loved using Jacek's Westy rack cover...much less hassle to use the rack. Looking forward to adding one of his SO-23 cargo nets Smile
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23 Reply with quote

Just curious how Jacek's roofrack cover worked in the rain- is the canvas someone rain shielding/shedding or did your stuff get wet?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23 Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Just curious how Jacek's roofrack cover worked in the rain- is the canvas someone rain shielding/shedding or did your stuff get wet?

I'm not really sure. The day I drove down, there was a little mist, so the leading edge of the cover was a bit damp, but that was it. The day I left was dry. It probably wouldn't hurt to treat it with some Scotchgard Water Shield. I had some firewood, a fire ring and grille up top. HTH
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23 Reply with quote

Cool thanks so much I have the same cover but haven't had a chance to use it and was wondering how weatherproof it was. Great looking bus!
perello
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23 Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:

It is not. I sprayed it with a water repelent and work charms
scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23 Reply with quote

I have always loved this Westy and the history behind it. Jack is a great custodian for it.
SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23 Reply with quote

scvw wrote:
I have always loved this Westy and the history behind it. Jack is a great custodian for it.

Thanks Joey. Missed you. Hope we can catch up at Spring Meet!
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjjjack wrote:
I've always liked the look of a camper "that's been places." Since the original owner provided a sort of history in his letter I decided to retrace that with some vintage water decals representing the places he mentioned....in addition to Florida, Texas, and of course the Westfalia Mafia decals that are more "current history."

The bottom left is reserved for a decal I'm working on that's a scan of a Westfalia logo on one of my original receipts. So, the chronology is roughly from bottom left (Germany), through the port in NY to Indiana where he said it stayed at a relatives for one year, to the west and up and down the west coast into Mexico and Canada, finally to his home in San Francisco.

Getting excited about Bulli Brigade XXII Dancing Dancing Dancing

Fantastic bus - that came out so nice it makes me wonder about breaking out the razor blades (but harder to justify the effort when its already a decent color match!

Just curious - this sounds like you printed these decals yourself, or did you order them?

I am familiar with Photoshop, but would you mind explaining what you used to create the stickers if you made them yourself.

I love the idea of showing the history of the bus though stickers, and if you dont mind I might steal that idea. I couldn't ask for better history with my 60' Kombi.

I found 2 ticket stubs to " The highest bridge in the world" when i removed the bulk head panel. The bridge in the picture didnt look that high so I am guessing I can track down a time period when that was the highest bridge in the world & imagine where and when it crossed it.

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23 Reply with quote

I made a bunch of fake decals by using window cling inkjet printer label media.
Print in reverse, and then spray paint white on the non-cling (printed) side to give it an opaque white background. Or yellow to reproduce many of the yellow backed decals.

I did a bunch of Bus Owners North East, BONE stickers which were well received.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burwin wrote:

Fantastic bus - that came out so nice it makes me wonder about breaking out the razor blades (but harder to justify the effort when its already a decent color match!

Just curious - this sounds like you printed these decals yourself, or did you order them?

I am familiar with Photoshop, but would you mind explaining what you used to create the stickers if you made them yourself.

I love the idea of showing the history of the bus though stickers, and if you dont mind I might steal that idea. I couldn't ask for better history with my 60' Kombi.

I found 2 ticket stubs to " The highest bridge in the world" when i removed the bulk head panel. The bridge in the picture didnt look that high so I am guessing I can track down a time period when that was the highest bridge in the world & imagine where and when it crossed it.

Hi burwin, thanks! Do it...love your idea re: the highest bridge in the world Exclamation

All of the water decals you see in that pic are originals I collected from eBay (mostly). A few of them split, cracked, crazed once they were wetted and installed, but to me, that made them even better, LOL. Look close at the Washington one, for example. I back sprayed all of them with clear to preserve them. One exception is the Westfalia Mafia decal I made by copying the original adhesive surface sticker from Todd (srfndoc). I scaled it down a little so it matched the scale of the others.

I wanted to insert at least one decal that represented the beginning of the journey in Europe in the bottom left corner. I started looking for period German/Europe water decals but could never find anything that seemed appropriate. They mostly used luggage, surface stickers back then, evidently. I made several Anhager and Westfalia water decals to place there, but they just didn't look good next to the period/og decals because of the white/opaque background. Anyway, I finally found a period Spa Francorchamp decal several years ago, and I was there for the F1 race in 2010, so that seemed personally fitting. Ironically, just last week I got it out so I'd remember to install it before the upcoming No Dough show here in Florida!

Look forward to seeing what you put together!

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23 Reply with quote

Jack... I think this is the first time I've seen the sloper on top of your Westy since it left here many years ago. Looks great up there!

jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23 Reply with quote

Thanks! No, really? It’s the crown jewel; a core part of the ritual prepping for shows and trips Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: