Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1959 Mango Westfalia SO-23
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
type47fan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus you are just starting. I started on mine and hit nearly every bare spot in the first weekend. I thought I should have just left it alone but 90% of the rest of the Bus came out pretty nice so I say keep at it. A few burn through spots are no big deal at all. Like others have said you can always blend.

Looking good from my monitor.

Phillip
My 66 Westy Build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5825134#5825134
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with that paint. If the rest of the bus comes up that good I would be proud to own it.
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll give it another shot today, maybe finish the rear hatch or jump to another panel entirely to see if it's any better. A friend (Lorne) is coming over this afternoon to give a second look...nothing ventured, nothing gained Smile
IG:j.stenner
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting the paint in the context of the rest of the bus, I would say it deserves to be stripped back to original. This bus is so complete and nice that I think you'll be really happy you decided to strip it back if you see it through.

Personally, I think it looks great so far, take your time and enjoy it as much as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bubba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend the time and try to bring it back to original paint.. It tried on mine.. Put when I got to the long panel on mine... It was striped down to the primer by whom ever painted it in the past.. Confused I top was ok.. But by the time I got it finished it look like hell... So I only painted the exterior of mine. Left the bus original paint and all on the inside..
curtain Bungee cords for SO23, 22, 33 ,34 ,35
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1587591
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me. I have a bunch of imperfect spots on my OG paint, but stripping it back was still the best thing I did. I'll do some blending eventually. But I prefer OG paint over a new paint job anyway. If the rest of yours comes out the way it is, I say leave it! Very Happy

And those are some pretty cool docs you scanned!
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bubba wrote:
Spend the time and try to bring it back to original paint.. It tried on mine.. Put when I got to the long panel on mine... It was striped down to the primer by whom ever painted it in the past.. Confused I top was ok.. But by the time I got it finished it look like hell... So I only painted the exterior of mine. Left the bus original paint and all on the inside..

Yeah, if I end up repainting, that's what I'd do with mine. Paint up to, and behind the weatherstripping. Leave floors, everything inside orig.

That's a good point, though. Probably a good idea to go around to each major panel and do a spot check to be sure there's orig paint underneath! Just my luck, I wouldn't find out until the last panel, LOL.

otis_bartleh wrote:
Looks good to me. I have a bunch of imperfect spots on my OG paint, but stripping it back was still the best thing I did. I'll do some blending eventually. But I prefer OG paint over a new paint job anyway. If the rest of yours comes out the way it is, I say leave it! Very Happy

And those are some pretty cool docs you scanned!

Thanks!

Some progress so far today...we'll see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slow36hp
scott wimberley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Og paint is great. some buses strip back some don't. No shame in painting either unless of course your goal is to preserve the look of a bus worked on with a disc sander. a clean "budget" respray in the original colors to the exterior will do nothing but make it more valueable and preserve it. i always love the sentiment you can't possibly enjoy and use a painted bus that looks good. The first owner did.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=426468&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
1957 dd kombi
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=186478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks slow36hp. I'm happy with this bus either way, and am well over the garage queen fascination at this point in life Very Happy

I alternated from euphoria to gloom today. I decided to change techniques from KS-3 to Strip-X realizing the harsher KS-3 was damaging the surface of the original paint too much. I found that I could brush on Strip-X and scrape it with a plastic putty knife fairly soon after application. Then, the trick was removing as much of the paint with a razor blade as possible. The thin layer of paint that remained cleaned up nicely with 0000 steel wool and acetone. You can see the difference in the upper right corner of the rear hatch. It looks sweet except for a couple of razor marks. The gloom came when I started doing the mango part of the hatch. Everything was going great until I took a huge chunk with the razor Brick wall ...and a couple more blow-throughs happened.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was ready to toss in the towel at that point. I guess the lesson is to not get too confident and only work in 2 or 3 hour stretches.

Lorne and Kent came by and were impressed, too, by the seagull section. Lorne thinks I should keep at it, and thinks the blowouts can be blended.

Family time for the next few days, then I'll give it some more elbow.
ricekooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion would be to lose the razor. I stripped my old Westy down using just Jasco and 0000 steel wool. It took a lot longer but it's much safer. Once its done you can decide if you want to touch it up. Heres some before and after pics of OG SWR/BG touched up with tower paints.

BTW - Congrats on the new edition!
scvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Ricekooker. Applause
SOUTHERN INTEGRITY AIRCOOLERS

WTB - Sigla popout glass like in my ad.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1667775
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricekooker wrote:
My opinion would be to lose the razor. I stripped my old Westy down using just Jasco and 0000 steel wool.

Exactly what I used. I was too nervous to take a razor blade to it. Laughing

Before and after, no paint blending yet... ricecooker, the paint blending turned out great!

jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look great Ricekooker and Otis.

Jasco with 0000 is probably the only thing left to try at this point. I think I can handle the razor with a bit more practice, but I'll try Jasco/0000 next.

Thanks for the suggestions.
otis_bartleh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think you took the right approach by trying different methods. I've seen one method work on one, but not too well on another. It may suck to do, but it's great when it's done! Don't forget the pics. Very Happy
Bendango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always like this thought with regards to repaints - Vw pretty intended them to be repainted to keep up with the new range of colours / freshen up.

Just part of the history.

WANTED - [WTB] 55-62 Bus Thin Lip Package Tray SWR

Getting Used - SWR 60 westy copy built by vw ( apparently Rolling Eyes )
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=320866

Braukuche wrote:
Where did you find the elephant dick?
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to sneak up on Jack, but it's hard in a VW! After waiving me off in a fit of fury, I snapped this of him hard at work Cool .

I got out and went up anyway, only to find that his frustration stemmed from the inconsistency of trying to remove the respray paint while leaving the original (he had just scraped off a section down to the bare metal when I arrived, hence his frustration Confused ) I know this frustration, because I had burned through the engine lid paint similarly with Kleen strip Aircraft stipper Mad. Whoever repainted the bus was serious; sanding and prepping for a great bond with paint that doesn't take kindly to being removed!

It's so awesome to see Jack's progress, uncovering the original color. Even if he ends up repainting the original color, I know it won't be without giving a much more than honest effort to remove the repaint. I am so happy that Jack has this bus now and will do it the justice my schedule could not seem to accommodate. Plus, I can stop by anytime to see how it's progressing Very Happy !

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eddiemoney
East Coast Scavenger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the detailing industry they have plastic razor blades usually orange in color. if you can find a detail supply house they will probably have them. i use them at work to remove stickers from bumpers and other adhesives from paint. by far more forgiving that a metal razor blade.

instagram im_eating_pizza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
I tried to sneak up on Jack, but it's hard in a VW! After waiving me off in a fit of fury, I snapped this of him hard at work Cool .

It's so awesome to see Jack's progress, uncovering the original color. Even if he ends up repainting the original color, I know it won't be without giving a much more than honest effort to remove the repaint. I am so happy that Jack has this bus now and will do it the justice my schedule could not seem to accommodate. Plus, I can stop by anytime to see how it's progressing Very Happy !

Thanks Kent! Yeah, you caught me right at the moment I fu'd.

At this point, I'm committed...or maybe, should BE committed Wink Either way, it's getting stripped!

eddiemoney wrote:
in the detailing industry they have plastic razor blades ....<snip>

Thanks eddiemoney. I was having success using plastic putty knives from HD, but they get dull quickly and are relatively expensive. I just ordered some of the plastic razors. I bet they'll be a better option.

Back in town after the holidays and have some time before going back to work. I'm feeling pretty good about this. It's gonna take a while, but I think it's gonna work!

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks awesome so far, you should be happy with it! the kind of stuff people try and pass off as og paint these days is ridiculous.

I use these kind of razors but I put a shallow bend in them so there is no risk of digging the corners.

jjjjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sled, yeah, I'm happy with what I'm seeing so far. I should be able to blend the worst spots. That original paint is soooo amazing. It's almost like it's rubberized it's so tough.

My big slice was with one of the single-edged razors like that. I filed the corners so it wouldn't catch, but I'm gun-shy now, LOL.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 22

Jump to: