Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New fuel pump causing my really low mpg/ and richness?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djshutup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: New fuel pump causing my really low mpg/ and richness? Reply with quote

1967 original stock. 30-pict 1
Within the last year new points, valve adjustment, timing, new plugs/wires etc.
Been tracking mpg for most of the year and steadily averaged mid 20's.
The last 2 fillups I have gotten 16mpg and I've noticed the car is getting harder to start after being warm. So finally got smart and pulled a plug and this is what I saw.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The ONLY two things that have changed since the aweful mpg and starting issues is I had the carb rebuilt by Volkzbitz (awesome work)(my shaft was leaking) and my fuel pump was leaking very little

I bought a new one at a VW classic shop till I could rebuild the original and bought this.

I have no fuel pump psi tester to test the new pump but it sure sounds like the problem and how would one even make it the right PSI there is no adjustment. Seems kinda ridiculous they would sell a pump that pumps out the wrong psi.

Forgot to mention idles fine and runs fine just terrible mpg all of a sudden and finicky to start sometimes when it's warm you can smell gas badly when it struggles to start. And I know it's cause the plugs are black that is why its struggling to start according to my book.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The float valves in carb rebuild kits have been terrible for years. I made a habit of re-using the old ones. Maybe yours is sticking, and the pump is then allowed to overfill the float bowl, causing gad to be pushed out the bowl vent into the intake.

Or it could be the fuel pump.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those pumps out out too much PSI.

Yes, they can flood the carb. after you stop, making it hard to start again.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djshutup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I went and bought a fuel tester from harbor freight and this is what I got.

bounces around between 4.1 and like 4.3

and the book I have says it's supposed to be 2.8... hooray
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can add gaskets under the fuel pump to lower psi. 1 or 2 will probably get you where you need to be.
djshutup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
you can add gaskets under the fuel pump to lower psi. 1 or 2 will probably get you where you need to be.

oh for real. Just add gaskets to the PSI is 2.8 and I should be golden?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwkind wrote:
c21darrel wrote:

oh for real. Just add gaskets to the PSI is 2.8 and I should be golden?

Yes, on my Double Cab I have 4-5 gaskets.
I can't remember what I started at, I think it was above 4 at first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djshutup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanted to give an update.
Put on 4 gaskets and the PSI didn't change (might have gone up a small amount actually lol). Thought ok maybe the psi tester was screwy and I put my original pump and sure enough checks in at a perfect 2.8.

So long story short the place I bought the new fuel pump is gonna swap it out for another one and I will leave the old one on and monitor for anymore seeping.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI - there are different thickness gaskets, but I would have expected some change. Just curious - did you change the base and pushrod or just the pump?

One other thing - those pumps are notorious for the dowel pin that the pump foot rides on working its way out. Have seen it around 4 times over the last couple years. Had it happen on my 65 with my wife driving it on the worse possible section of road at 5PM on a Friday......

This is going to sound stupid to do but - install the pump. Make sure the pressure is good, then pull it back off.

There are a variety of ways folks have fixed this. JB weld over the ends, peening over the ends of the pin(my preferred method), longer pin with C-clips, retaining strap and theres a few others.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djshutup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
FYI - there are different thickness gaskets, but I would have expected some change. Just curious - did you change the base and pushrod or just the pump?

One other thing - those pumps are notorious for the dowel pin that the pump foot rides on working its way out. Have seen it around 4 times over the last couple years. Had it happen on my 65 with my wife driving it on the worse possible section of road at 5PM on a Friday......

This is going to sound stupid to do but - install the pump. Make sure the pressure is good, then pull it back off.

There are a variety of ways folks have fixed this. JB weld over the ends, peening over the ends of the pin(my preferred method), longer pin with C-clips, retaining strap and theres a few others.

all I did was change the pump. From the looks of what I got I would need 20 gaskets in there in there to lower the psi enough. Since I can exchange it for another I am gonna try to my luck for another. And thanks for the tip about that pin it looks like it's peened but I will do something extra to it.

edit found the answer to my question.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - you dont know that there are 2 different length pushrods for the fuel pumps. Can pretty much bet that is your issue. Do a search for fuel pump pushrod. See this link - theres probably at least a hundred of them.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=560704&highlight=fuel+pushrod+length
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djshutup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
OK - you dont know that there are 2 different length pushrods for the fuel pumps. Can pretty much bet that is your issue. Do a search for fuel pump pushrod. See this link - theres probably at least a hundred of them.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=560704&highlight=fuel+pushrod+length

I brought my original fuel pump into the shop and the guy handed me the one that matched They both have the same inset lever.
djshutup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="vwkind"]
andk5591 wrote:

I brought my original fuel pump+rod into the shop and the guy handed me the one that matched They both have the same inset lever depth.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From the looks of what I got I would need 20 gaskets in there in there to lower the psi enough

And my point about having the right pushrod was what???
Harleyelf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other method of achieving this is to grind or lathe-cut the pushrod.
djshutup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanted to give an update as it might help others in the future.

I've tried 3 different new replacement fuel pumps with various gaskets stacked since and the pressures were all between 4-6. I think what others have said (taking the long rod and grinding it down) is the only thing that will work in my case.

I rebuilt my original brosol pump with
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-198-555
re-installed and PSI was ~4. So I took the main spring out (one attached to big diaphragm) and put the original back on the PSI is perfect at 2.8. Car runs great however overnight I get gas seeping out of

Doesn't leak when it's running or shortly after. Just overnight in the morning its a little wet.
Anyone experience this? It's a lot better then it was before it was leaking out of every screw on the pump before. And yes I preloaded the diaphragm with a jig before screwing down and all the screws are tight tight. Almost like there is too much pressure when the gas evaporates and has no where to go or something I dunno.
estilholliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump causing my really low mpg/ and richness? Reply with quote

Definately looks like a washer or something is in between that top plate and the body of the pump, causing a gap. You have the screws tightened down on each side which is causing a bend in that plate. Even when you fix that issue, the plate may be warped too much to still be used.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
klroger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump causing my really low mpg/ and richness? Reply with quote

I don't understand the gaskets to shim the pump away from the engine to lower the fuel pressure. If you in effect make the pushrod shorter by moving the pump from the engine block, are you not also reducing the pump volume output as now the pushrod doesn't make the pump travel a full operating stroke??? This whole thing about gaskets reducing pressure doesn't make sense to me... I've always understood the spring makes the pressure. Your pump doesn't always pump, only when it's needed & the spring is what makes the pressure on the needle valve...
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump causing my really low mpg/ and richness? Reply with quote

Yes - by adding gaskets, you are reducing pump volume. It can help with pressure some and I have played around with it myself quite a bit in the past. Also, have done things like shorten the pushrod. Lots of folks do it and seem to get some help in fine tweaking, but the spring is the big thing and anymore I use a correct pump (have had good luck withe new Brosals) or use a pressure regulator. I have stopped using the round dial type and gone to the Holley one.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New fuel pump causing my really low mpg/ and richness? Reply with quote

klroger wrote:
I don't understand the gaskets to shim the pump away from the engine to lower the fuel pressure. If you in effect make the pushrod shorter by moving the pump from the engine block, are you not also reducing the pump volume output as now the pushrod doesn't make the pump travel a full operating stroke??? This whole thing about gaskets reducing pressure doesn't make sense to me... I've always understood the spring makes the pressure. Your pump doesn't always pump, only when it's needed & the spring is what makes the pressure on the needle valve...

There's no solid connection between the pushrod or pushrod lever with the diaphragm assembly. The action of those parts is just to pull the diaphragm spring down
to lowest (most compressed) position. It does this at a frequency of engine rpm divided by 2. Otherwise, there is no physical contact between the lever and the
diaphragm assembly. It is the upward push of the compressed diaphragm spring that is the sole source of fuel output pressure. If the spring is compressed a tiny
bit less than it otherwise would be because there's an extra gasket under the pump, then the output pressure will be a tiny bit less. The volume delivered to the carb
is determined by the carb float valve, and the level of fuel in the carb bowl, and the fuel output pressure. The pump output pressure stays almost constant, no matter the engine rpm,
and it is brought back to the maximum level with every other turn of the crankshaft. A single gasket under the pump will affect the output pressure very little: about 2% or so.
It would be only under very unusual conditions that this small pressure difference would affect the ability of the pump to deliver the volume of fuel that the carb is asking for.
It's pretty much a myth that adding gaskets under the pump will affect output pressure to any appreciable extent. There are lots of people who claim otherwise, but it's
pretty plain that there is no physical basis for the results they report, and it's reasonable to suppose it's because of the use of inaccurate and erratic cheap gauges and the
tendency of people to see what they expect to see, whether it's really there or not.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: