Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kit Car Shifter issues
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Kit Car Shifter issues Reply with quote

Merry Christmas to all. It's been a few years since I owned a "newer" beetle. My last one was a '63 - previous to that a '63 convertible, and this issue wasn't present on those two. My advancing years are messing with my memory, I think.

My experience level is pretty good having owned 58 VW's since the early 70's, and I have rebuilt or "refurb-ed" almost every one of them before selling. I just traded for a Gazelle built on a '72 pan (has title). I've straightened out a couple of minor issues to get it running well and stopping straight. All the valves were too loose with a couple being at .015"+!!! Much quieter now. The engine appears (and runs like) a pretty strong 1600 DP with a H30/31 carb (with offset adapter) and Bosch 009.

The shifter appears stock. It needs at least a new shift shaft bushing and maybe even a coupler in order for me to sell it. I have to literally hunt for each gear since there's so much wobble. Is the stick supposed to turn around and around? Even with completely missing shift shaft bushings, the bent stick shifters on older cars don't do that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all the shifters have a pin and indent on the cup. Mine spins in my Sterling. If it bothers you, you'll need to swap out the shift rod for one that has the indent and a shifter with a locating pin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'68 and later shifters do spin, they're made to.
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. Late model shifters were straight from the factory so spinning was not an issue. You could remove your shift rod, cut a slot into the cup (cutoff wheel on a grinder will do fine) then drill & pin the shifter ball. Problem solved.

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. The spinning doesn't bother me - I just couldn't remember whether it was supposed to be there or not.

Now to the tedious part of replacing the bushing and coupler. Wish me luck.
Skamenir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just did the shift bushing and coupler in my gazelle, what a pita, working thru the center console. dont forget to run a string line from the shift rod before you pull it out, the shift rod is only 18 inchs long. i used a long i inch dowl rod with a safety wire tied to it to wrap a round the shifter housing on the rod to pull it out and reinstall it, its a pain being so short.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldent get mine out on my baja,so I reworked the bush so it would go through the holder with the shift rod still there then add a tie rap to the rear of it so I wont slide through, dont forget to clean&greessee the shaft,in dusty conditiond spray graphite may be better so it dosent attract dirt&crap.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too damn late for your advice Skamenir! I was inching it forward with my fingers and it fell out. Forgot it was so short. Now the fun begins! Whose idea was it to not cast in a removable access panel?
I built one of these in the late 70's. I didn't warn the owner about this. Bet he has said a few Sunday school words about me sometime in his life.
Skamenir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I did'nt see the post sooner. Take a rod or a piece of 1/2 " conduit and make a wire snare like a dod catcher. Have someone in the car as you work it in. It works for removal too.
pumpedto2365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya the "gear hunting" can be a challenge but you'll get the hang of it.
also makes a good theft deterent and other people wont want to drive it. Laughing
Mike_CNYBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old boss used to call that "Security through Obscurity"

Kristen's Buggy (UltaViolet) Build Thread

VW Club of Central New York
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: