Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2.4 EcoTec rail buggy kit to Vanagon?
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: 2.4 EcoTec rail buggy kit to Vanagon? Reply with quote

I've been reading up on the 2.4 Ecotec and seems they are a viable option for the Vanagon. I've read a few posts here on the Samba from people whom have done it. Yet there are no kits.

I started digging around and found a company whom makes Ecotec rail buggy conversion kits. The kit comes with a low milage tested motor, a custom made stand alone wiring harness, the ECU, has a billet engine adaptor and flywheel.

The price is $2150.00

http://www.alphafabindustries.com/collections/ecotec-parts/products/afi-2-4l-le5-ecotec-swap-combo

Obviously a custom exhaust, motor mounts and water lines would need to be sorted, but it seems like a very viable option for do a DIY conversion. Anyone ever thought trying one of these Rail Buggy kits?

Obviously not up to Cali standards or anywhere there is a state inspection, but I'm registered in FL so no worries with that.
SCP_Austin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting swap idea...makes bostig seem expensive!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea the more I read about them, the more I like what I see. The only draw back I've seen so far, is the rear engine cover needs to be raised, however the engine supposedly has more clearance than the WBX and is lighter.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bostig IS expensive, but they provide a more complete kit.
Don't discount the difficulty of designing and building your own engine cradle and cooling system. They also support the engine tune for our vanagons. That AFI is tuned for a sand rail.
Not saying it can't be done. Just not apples to apples with Bostig.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
alnvilma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw an Eco-Tec conversion in a Bay window at BBB last January!
It wasn't completed and running at that time but fit in the engine bay well.
Maybe a search in that section would reveal more info?
That is a great price. Plumbing the cooling shouldn't be to hard. Heck, I had to find & cut preformed hosed/adapters to make my Bostig kit work right.
Intriguing.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Don't discount the difficulty of designing and building your own engine cradle and cooling system. They also support the engine tune for our vanagons. That AFI is tuned for a sand rail.

Well Bostig is a very solid kit, I wouldn't compare this to a Bostig or that 1.8t kit. Those are both very high quality complete kits and are priced accordingly.

This to me would be more like a DIY Subaru kit however with a much easier found and cheaper engine. But a bit more fab work required. However the electrical work is done meaning it's a painless job on wiring it up.

The other thing is, the guy that makes the above kits also can add a supercharged version for about $1400 more according to a post from him on another forum. However the stock engine is already 170hp and can easily be bumped to 190hp which is already more than enough to me. I personally don't think I'd want to SC or turbo it.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:

Well Bostig is a very solid kit, I wouldn't compare this to a Bostig or that 1.8t kit. Those are both very high quality complete kits and are priced accordingly.

This to me would be more like a DIY Subaru kit however with a much easier found and cheaper engine. But a bit more fab work required. However the electrical work is done meaning it's a painless job on wiring it up.

The other thing is, the guy that makes the above kits also can add a supercharged version for about $1400 more according to a post from him on another forum. However the stock engine is already 170hp and can easily be bumped to 190hp which is already more than enough to me. I personally don't think I'd want to SC or turbo it.

It is intriguing. Certainly cheaper. Might be a good choice for Dokas with they're taller engine bays.
Good luck and post lots of photos if you pull the trigger!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
DAV!D wrote:
MsTaboo wrote:

It is intriguing. Certainly cheaper. Might be a good choice for Dokas with they're taller engine bays.
Good luck and post lots of photos if you pull the trigger!

Well to be honest, if I were to give this a go, I'd likely buy the wiring harness from that company, then get the flywheel/adapter from either them or KEP. I'd then just pick up a engine at a local bone yard to save on shipping and get all the bolt ons.

It will all depend what I find out over the next week or so as I tear out my WBX to reseal the gas tank and try to figure out why my WBX is running so horribly.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found a topic here on the samba of a bay window ecotec swap. I bet a similar exhaust set up would work, and possibly a motor mount like his. His is a 2.2 but they are pretty similar.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=549056&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting.

I wanted to read more (and see why the kit was $6000 marked down to $21500) but that home page is a PITA to read! Anyhow....

Wouldn't that header type exhaust manifold be kind of close to the engine lid?

Is that a 0º mount kit? Would a 15º mount angle help? (IIRC, there is a KEP plate for that engine)

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Wessels (Euro Mog) loved his Ecotec motor swap. If you want it to be all German....swap an Opel valve cover on it...... Very Happy
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
interesting.

I wanted to read more (and see why the kit was $6000 marked down to $21500) but that home page is a PITA to read! Anyhow....

Wouldn't that header type exhaust manifold be kind of close to the engine lid?

Is that a 0º mount kit? Would a 15º mount angle help? (IIRC, there is a KEP plate for that engine)

Neil.

KEP makes a mount as does the company I linked with the kit. Far as I can tell they are just 0º mounts. I don't think much would be gained by tilting it, because the intake would stick up higher.

As far as the 6k vs 2,1k I think it's because it's not a rebuilt engine. He is buying low mileage engines to doing compression test, ect for his kits. There is another company that was offering blueprinted race motors for $6 0r $8k which is likely what the $6k is.

If yea do the math, the wiring harness + adapter/flywheel + used motor the kit is priced at a decent price. He charges $900 for the harness alone and $600 for his adaptor/flywheel.

However on car-part.com I saw quite a few low milage engines in the $400 range. Meaning if you buy his harness & ecu then KEP's adaptor/flywheel and a local motor you are roughly $1,7k. To get the same kit he's offering aside from him cleaning it up and checking it.

His kit is not a bad price though assuming shipping isn't crazy as it's ready to install once you do the fab work for mounts and so on. I would assume one of the bigger challenges would be figuring out how to hook into the factory gages.

Last edited by DAV!D on Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have this swap planned for this coming summer for my syncro. Luckily the local buggy guys use them. A local shop makes the adapters and the wiring harness and the computer flash get done locally to. I've measured plan on raising the deck about 2.5 inches
SCP_Austin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a certain amount of simplicity offered with bostig...probably worth every penny!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vw7266 wrote:
I already have this swap planned for this coming summer for my syncro. Luckily the local buggy guys use them. A local shop makes the adapters and the wiring harness and the computer flash get done locally to. I've measured plan on raising the deck about 2.5 inches

Yea seems to be a popular combo for the buggy guys. Just searching "ecotec" here on samba brings up quite a few guys running the engine in their buggies.

Any idea what your local shop charges for the harness and ecu?
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's an option. I see zero advantages over a Subaru swap and a lot of negatives compared to a Subaru, but it is pretty neat.

I reckon it might be a better financial option than a Bostig, initially, but all that "sorting out" you mention takes tons of time, ingenuity and/or trial and error.

Raising the decklid, and I bet that motor is heavy, both seem decidedly bad, but I look forward to hearing about the guys that get them together.

I can literally lift my subaru engine short block by myself. I actually picked it up in it's crate and stuck it in the trunk of my car to take home.

I doubt I could lift that motor.

The advances in the Subaru transaxle adaptation, I believe, keep Subaru in the top of the conversion choices. Add in low center of gravity, a "natural" fit and all the other factors and Subaru would still be my first choice for a swap.

So many people "gloss over" the fact you can buy a Brand New sti short block for $1800 direct from subaru.

I kinda like having a brand new motor in my 25 year old van, but it will be fun to see what evolves round that motor, if anything.

Neil2 Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the engine Bostig should've opted to pursue for their kits. Bostig thoroughness along with this level of solid engineering would make a non-VAG engine kit I could get behind. Until then, it's 1.8t/TDI or nothing at all.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
This is the engine Bostig should've opted to pursue for their kits. Bostig thoroughness along with this level of solid engineering would make a non-VAG engine kit I could get behind. Until then, it's 1.8t/TDI or nothing at all.

The Zetec is a solid engine. From what I can see the two are very similar except the VVT.
The one thing I don't like about my Zetec is the exhaust manifold being close to the engine cover. That Eco engine seems to have the same problem or worse if you have to raise the lid.
I have both the standard engine lid heat shield and the optional SS heat shield covering the manifold/cat and it still produces a lot of heat.
A custom exhaust manifold is one development I wish Bostig would come up with, diverting downward instead of up and then down.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Zetec seems like a perfectly decent engine, but the torque specs aren't particularly inspiring for a big heavy breadbox like the T3. A naturally aspirated engine really should have some cubic centimeters underpinning its torque efforts, and the Zetec isn't all that.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
The Zetec seems like a perfectly decent engine, but the torque specs aren't particularly inspiring for a big heavy breadbox like the T3. A naturally aspirated engine really should have some cubic centimeters underpinning its torque efforts, and the Zetec isn't all that.

I agree. It's no race car. Especially in my heavy Syncro Westy. But it's way better than stock and very reliable.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: