Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Polo rack and pinion
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian Godfrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

could be easily done, it is already used on the Mendeola front ends but.... the tie rods are short so there would be bad bump steer.
the mendeola has A arms so the short tie rods work well in this situation
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

Anyone tried using a Mk1 Golf/Jetta steering rack to do a rack and pinion conversion? They're cheap and plentiful here in the US, unlike the unobtanium Polo racks.
cunningstunt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

-Alex77- wrote:
Dont really know about 1303 rack and pinion steering..

Alex are you still selling the kits for rack and pinion or just the bracket for a RHD?
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

They're there to stiffen the frame.
cudabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

not to derail but whats the reason for the frame stiffeners? the bars from the front beam to the pan? Are they really necessary
cudabear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

not to derail but whats the reason for the frame stiffeners? the bars from the front beam to the pan? Are they really necessary
Blasted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

I had seen this https://www.kerscher-tuning.de/kaefer/index.php?gruppe1=Lenkung&gruppe2=Lenkung

Expensive but looks to be a complete kit.

I wonder how much of a benefit R&P steering is over a well set up steering box with new tie rod ends and ball joints.
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

Citroen AX racks fit too Alex, no sure if that helps with not needing to flip them?
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

Dont really know about 1303 rack and pinion steering..
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

Alex--

Quick question (indulge me a bit, please). For a Super Beetle, if I were to get a RHD rack and flip it the other way to use on a typical U.S. version of a Super, would the steering input be the correct direction?

H2OSB
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

Yes, there is available RHD racks too, but they are only available from UK VW dismantlers, as no new or rebuilt ones are made.

Rack bracket can be made also RHD, just bending the L-profile other way.

RHD conversions may need double jointed steering joint.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

DOBBY-SA wrote:
Can this rack be flipped over and used for a right hand drive beetle?

I realise that the mount would need to be redesigned but would the rack work properly upside down? I.e no extra wear, lack of lubrication/ lubricant leaks etc...

@There is a kit available for the LHD models from France, kinda pricey but yeah:

https://www.mecatechnic.com/en-GB/kerscher-steering-rack-for-beetle_VJ51452.htm

I think there are rhd and lhd versions of these racks available, could be wrong on this, you should shout Alex who sells the kits.
DOBBY-SA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

CNC-Meister wrote:
Hi -Alex77-,

Just wondering if you are still making the Polo rack mount brackets?

I could do with one for my RHD link pin bug (56). It would probably be easiest for me to buy the set of laser cut parts ready for me to weld up the assembly, I have a 3" narrowed beam so things might need some modifying to fit.

I'll drop you a PM, please let me know..

Thanks
Adam

Looks like this is Alex's site: http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,16738.0.html
DOBBY-SA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

Can this rack be flipped over and used for a right hand drive beetle?

I realise that the mount would need to be redesigned but would the rack work properly upside down? I.e no extra wear, lack of lubrication/ lubricant leaks etc...

@There is a kit available for the LHD models from France, kinda pricey but yeah:

https://www.mecatechnic.com/en-GB/kerscher-steering-rack-for-beetle_VJ51452.htm
VW&MGman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm thinking of installing a rack and pinion on my '69 beetle. I have a couple of questions.

Is it worth the effort? Will it have the same steering feedback as a more modern car?

I have a 2'' narrowed beam, would there be any additional modifications to be made?

Are there any kits out there that I could purchase in which I would not have to do too much R&D on? I'm looking for something more on the plug and play side.

Thanks
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

I was also looking to convert my split bus to R&P steering.

I found someone with a LHD SB steering rack, he coverted his LHD beetle import to RHD and told me he wanted USD350 R&P.
lightice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
Anyone know of an alternative rack for a 1303? These Polo racks look great for a standard Beetle because the steering arms on Beetle spindles face rearward, but they won't work for a 1303 with the arms in the front.

H2OSB

If you are a LHD user, look for a RHD polo rack.
RHD user, look for LHD polo rack.

IIRC Meyle still makes them.
-Alex77-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

It is beetle steering damper. But i think its unnecessary Smile
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

Hi Alex, what kind of steering dampers are user on te pictures? Are these beetle ones or G40 polo?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Polo rack and pinion Reply with quote

Anyone know of an alternative rack for a 1303? These Polo racks look great for a standard Beetle because the steering arms on Beetle spindles face rearward, but they won't work for a 1303 with the arms in the front.

H2OSB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: