Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

SpreadinTheLove64 wrote:
Hi, just wanting to confirm that this is a early 68-73 rear seat?

Just to be certain maybe post this same post in the Bay threads?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

SpreadinTheLove64 wrote:
Hi, just wanting to confirm that this is a early 68-73 rear seat? It has holes on the bottom of the legs, and a rounded seatback ilo the squared which I believe is the later bus from what i’ve researched? I’m still learning and am in process of re-doing this seat for my 64 split window, didn’t want to spend a small fortune on a split window rear seat. One other question I have (as I’m told the early bay seat will fit) is will I have any issued with it when I go to put heat in it down the road? Sorry if that’s a stupid question. I’m thinking for some reason I read somewhere that it might. Thanks in advance for anyone who’d be so kind as to shed light and clarify.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That is definitely bay window tan upholstery. If the pics of the bare frames are from that same seat, you have an early bay seat. It will be a little narrow for your split, but it can be made to work.

Are you worried about turning the heat on in the rear and melting something? If so, as log as you do not have anything directly in front of the heat outlet, you will be fine. I melted a plastic water bottle in my 64 bus one time. It fell down there while driving and I didn't notice until much later.
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

Looking for help identifying what year(s) these pieces were originally from?
And looking for opinions on what a fair asking price would be?
Thanks!

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

The little tab on the bottom of the back rest means it's from a Bay Window, I believe they are the same from 1968-1978?

Upholstery has been replaced, of course

Search rear seat in the Bay Window parts section for possible values:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...=rear+seat

Tab reference:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
The little tab on the bottom of the back rest means it's from a Bay Window, I believe they are the same from 1968-1978?

Upholstery has been replaced, of course

Search rear seat in the Bay Window parts section for possible values:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...=rear+seat

Tab reference:

Thanks. I figured the top was probably bay, but the bottom doesn’t have holes in the bottom of the legs so the bottom through me off a little.
Thanks for the info.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

I did not think about the seat bottom clamp holes but I can't see that area in the photos.

The seat bottom would only have holes in the tops of the legs for the clamps - they are not drilled all the way through.

If there are no holes on the legs, it could be a Split Bus seat bottom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
I did not think about the seat bottom clamp holes but I can't see that area in the photos.

The seat bottom would only have holes in the tops of the legs for the clamps - they are not drilled all the way through.

No holes at all on legs. Looks like back is from a bay, bottom may be from a split.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

volkswagen60 wrote:
EverettB wrote:

No holes at all on legs. Looks like back is from a bay, bottom may be from a split.

Ok, I think the seat bottom is probably the mid-63 to 1966 style then, according to some pics in the first post of this thread where it shows how one of the legs changed shape.
james309
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

On a pre 60 bus is the rear seat in a microbus only supported by the 2 brackets ?
Is the base connected to the back ?
I have the 2 brackets, does anyone know the bolt/screw sizes ?
TIA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

james309 wrote:
On a pre 60 bus is the rear seat in a microbus only supported by the 2 brackets ?
Is the base connected to the back ?
I have the 2 brackets, does anyone know the bolt/screw sizes ?
TIA

Correct.
2 brackets only.
No other atttachments for the back rest

Information is under this Gallery photo (also added to the first post of this thread):
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=218219

james309
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

Thanks Everett,

Most helpful.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
james309
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

Does anyone have pictures of the mounting of their seat, with wing nuts & plates under seat frame ?

Also I bought some retro WW clamps, which have a locating pin yet the 2 OG clamps don't.

Any thoughts ?

James
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

james309 wrote:
Does anyone have pictures of the mounting of their seat, with wing nuts & plates under seat frame ?

Also I bought some retro WW clamps, which have a locating pin yet the 2 OG clamps don't.

Any thoughts ?

James

The rear seat does not have plates, that is for the middle seat with a floor mat only.

The locating pin is 1967 up so if you have an earlier Bus you should grind those off.

I couldn't find a great pic of the rear seat mounting clamps but here's 2 photos I did find

Slip t-bolt into floor mount, rotate it 90 degrees so it stays in place, slide bracket over it, secure with nut (or wingnut)
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

Thought this was a good thread for this. These pieces of wood were in my 66 bus when I bought it. It looks like they were used to mount a later seat bottom frame (with holes in legs). The bolt with the big washer slides into the original slot.

vwcollective
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

I’m trying to determine if this rear seat seat-back is correct for a November 55 built Wolfsburg bus? I realize there is a curve to the profile but not sure how flat a correct seat would be for this year?

Any help is appreciated.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

The seat above looks like a '58 curved seat back to me

57 and earlier flat back seats are really flat, like it's a rectangle with no curve.

Not the best rear seat pic:

Middle seat photo:

vwcollective
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

Bummer - thanks for the help Everett!
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

vwcollective wrote:
Bummer - thanks for the help Everett!

Everett’s a heartbreaker with all his facts. Shattering hopes and dreams.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

If anyone has a good pic of a Standard or Deluxe flat back back seat backrest, please post a pic in this thread so I can add it to the reference listing in the first post of this thread.

I have a black back rest I will try to photograph soon but it would be nice to have one with the Standard/Deluxe pleats too.
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Rear / Back Seat information thread Reply with quote

I have a hardware question : exactly what type of screw or bolt is used to fasten the rear luggage bar to the backside of the seat?

I would have assumed it was some kind of self tapping screw - similar to something like this (I know these are tiny) :

I double checked a parts manual that I have and found this information :

Qty 6
N 11 976 1
Screw, countersunk raised head AM 6x25 DIN 91 high polish galvanized

I did a search of the classifieds for N 11 976 1 and found these :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1498898

Are these correct? I see the installed photo shows a Phillips head while the NOS screws are flat head.

Or was a self tapping style screw used?

Are the seat frames drilled & tapped to accept a threaded screw?

Thanks Smile
1964 Chop Top
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: