Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Make your own Turbo?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Island Bwoy 420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Make your own Turbo? Reply with quote

Hey guys, I was talking to a friend who owns the local aircooled shop around here and he was telling me about a turbo that he fabricated and build for a 1800cc type 4 motor for around $300! I have been busy and so has he so I havent been able to get the building details for it but I am wondering if anyone has done this or know how to. Just throwing the idea out there. I will post instructions when I recieve them if no one else does. Thanks..

I and I fi gwaan ah to deh most I, jah rastafarii mi a praise!

Kyle
busrocker71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man..ask this guy if he can make one for a 1641cc type1 motor!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Island Bwoy 420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dude he told me the first turbo he made was for a 1600 cc but like I said I know no details as of yet. He is a pretty smart guy and he knows his shit. I am going to ask him to give me full on drawings and instructions to do mine for my type 4 engine. I guess if I throw him a few bucks he would do any other ones he knows how to.. Cant promise but I will check it out. How cool would it be to have 70% of the Samba Bays with homemade turbos?! LOL I am hoping all goes well. Ill keep you guys posted.

Thanks

Nuff Rudebwoy fi drive bus!
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any progress on the Turbo news?
Island Bwoy 420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busy with the holiday and work, but I will try to get some info after the new year. The bus is in the shop so after that I will be able to get some more news. Trust me I want to make one too!

Happy Sambadays!
twinfalls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 8:05 am    Post subject: TURBO ? may be COMPRESSOR ? Reply with quote

Sounds like bull shit to me.

A turbo is hight technology too far to be built by a smart mechanic.

May be a compressor could be made, it's basically a belt driven air pump.

A turbo is much more involved than a compressor.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Island Bwoy 420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, he made his for a 1700 but he said it can very easily be adapted to a 2.0l. I guess I shouldnt have posted anything until I had all the info. Not worth the critisism. Just tossing the idea around and letting people know what I know. Ill get more info asap.

Fire Haffi Bun, Stictly SENSIMILLA!
ekimthemad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: TURBO ? may be COMPRESSOR ? Reply with quote

twinfalls wrote:
Sounds like bull shit to me.

A turbo is hight technology too far to be built by a smart mechanic.

May be a compressor could be made, it's basically a belt driven air pump.

A turbo is much more involved than a compressor.

I think the mechanic is talkin about gettin a turbo off of something like an 80's chrysler k car and fitting it up to a vw engine. I doubt he is talking about actually building the turbo. Theoretically they are nothing more than two compressors with the shafts welded together anyways. Obviously getting one to work and last is a little more complicated than that.

Mike
59 single, 69 bus, 73 super
Island Bwoy 420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read my new post, (I couldnt find this one at the time) but I posted pictures and I got the guy to send me info about how it was made so I am taking that over what the mechanic told me. PM me in anyone wants that info. Thanks

Kyle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: