Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you have seen improvement.

I thought I'd mention one other tidbit. There is usually a decent amount of play between the m8 oil pump mounting bolts and the oil pump. That play allows the oil pump pickup to swing ~1/8"-1/4" up or down. I like to rotate it to the down direction before tightening the mounting bolts down.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Thanks for the update. I'm glad you have seen improvement.

I thought I'd mention one other tidbit. There is usually a decent amount of play between the m8 oil pump mounting bolts and the oil pump. That play allows the oil pump pickup to swing ~1/8"-1/4" up or down. I like to rotate it to the down direction before tightening the mounting bolts down.

you're welcome and thanks; it sure looks like this has solved the issue.

Good tip. And it reminded me of an image I meant to post showing the oil passage hole at block. The oil outlet hole on the ABA or Febi pump is fairly large but since KS pump has a differently shaped outlet hole that is likely smaller, overall, would indexing the pump slightly, run the risk of slightly blocking the passage hole on the block. (?) I doubt it would though.

I noted that play at the M8 bolt holes on the pump and had to wonder if another reason VW put it there was to allow "wiggle" room if one assembled the cover to housing slightly off. Doing so can close those holes a bit. BTDT.

Neil.

view: where pump mounts to block. Not easy to see (iPhone photo) but the oil passage hole at upper left, steps down twice that I could see. The male end of a 3/8" drive extension fits easily into the first stepped down part of hole but not through the second stepped down part.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

I am glad to see you are getting to the bottom of this. John
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

Thanks again John for enrouraging me to remove the oil pan and have a look. Not too much work to do so. Heck. There wasn't even an engine carrier bar strap to remove. Still have to make that part. Rolling Eyes Wink

I learned some things doing this "small" job. If I ever do another swap (haha, ha), in terms of the oil pump, at a minimum I'd Plasti Gauge for gear axial play and would suggest others do the same regardless if the pump parts are new.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
... Reducing gear axial play seems to have fixed the issue. .... So far, so good.

With the repaired used ABA pump + new diesel pickup tube installed, pump primed by hand, I let the engine sit overnight. 1st start next day, pressure gauge showed good pressure nearly immediately. ....

The head was (is) used, ......

The new pump had a questionable quality at the blind M6 bolt hole. .... As noted, gear lash appeared to be the same as on the used pump I re installed. ....

After leaving the van unused for nearly a week, 1st cold start, oil light kept flashing until engine held at higher RPM. But if engine was started at least every 3rd day, the oil light would go off nearly immediately. So, a few thoughts:

- IF the diesel Vanagon oil pick up tube holds more oil volume/weight than the ABA pickup tube, on the diesel tube, is that larger volume a significant factor in a pump losing its' prime?

- if pump gear lash is close to max wear limit, does that affect the pumps ability to hold its' prime?

- would wear at parts in a used engine head factor into oil pump losing prime, especially on a "diesel" pump?

- does pump mount angle affect amount of time it can hold oil prime? Do milling marks left behind at block and pump mating surfaces cause oil to leak out at join between pump and block?

- since pump housing is aluminum, could a slight over torque at bolts cause pump housing to warp?

I'm not calling this problem "solved" per se but things are certainly improved.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

Neil, where are you reading the oil pressure?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Neil, where are you reading the oil pressure?

Hi Mark.

Oil pressure was read at head only.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

Neil, I would suggest checking the pressure at the block outlet. Years ago, I had built a mildly trick 1.8 engine for a customers 86 Scirocco. There was maybe a 15- 20 pound difference hot between the block outlet and the head outlet. Hydraulic lifters were new for VW at the time and I believe they had some affect on the oil pressure reading differences.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. That's a helpful clue.

The engine hasn't been driven yet so if the hydro lifters are bleeding down overnight or over a few days or more, I'd wondered if that would allow oil to drain out of head which might exacerbate oiling at 1st start.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

Hi Neil. Just for reference my first oil pressure tests were done at the head. Now my oil pressure light sender is on the head and my oil pressure sender for the gauge is on the oil filter housing. This is the fourth in-line-four conversion I have done not counting the failed turbo diesel conversions I blew apart with a lead foot in my twenties. All but this one were done in the 80’s on van’s I bought with blown engines. In the day nobody cared and I threw them together without any more than a visual inspection. I would mix and match parts as necessary to make it work and it always did. The engine I removed from my current van had about two hundred and twenty thousand miles on it when I removed it for the upgrade. It’s oil usage had gone up to a QT every 700 miles or so and the lifters clattered when you would first start it in the morning but that’s pretty normal for a engine of that mileage. I had an engine with a known good pump. Unfortunately I sold it to someone who was starting a diesel conversion just before you started having problems. Otherwise I would have sent you a known working pump a long time ago. Certainly some wear in the head could cause the leak back you are having. I think you should just drive it enough that the oil doesn’t leak back. I would want to give everything a chance to break in. You may find this issue will go away. If I am wrong of course it will get worse but I don’t think so. In either case the correct thing to do will become clear. John
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

Thanks very much John.

Ya, I kind of think driving it may change things but that may be wishful thinking. That said, I don't really think there's a potential issue related to the oil pump. The bigger area of potential issues lies in my engine rebuild skills, or lack there of. But, I was careful and asked a lot of questions during the rebuild so .....

I took the van for a quick "boot" up the driveway. Very premature observation but it feels peppier than my 15º ABA with about 150K miles on it.

Time will tell! I'm more concerned right now about fabricating a tie between carriers, exhaust design, heat shields for exhaust and proximity of intake to the (fibre glass? Not plastic?) engine lid, which is pretty close. I think theres info here from the Bostig folks about engine temps and lids but I'm getting way off track here.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

There is all ways more to do. I forgot are you running 82 or 83 carrier bars.
I was traveling for work a lot of this summer so I have just been driving my van. I an going to remake my exsust. I still have the crazy loud intake and a bunch of of rattles to take care of. It doesn’t end.
I don’t think I would worry about how close the engine is to the deck lid the intake and the alternator aren’t that hot.
It’s always good to see progress.
John
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

A report back on my 50º ABA-diesel Vanagon oil pump priming issue:

after 20 hours or more, at first start cold I'd have to hold the idle at min. ~ 1200 RPM to get the oil pump to fill. As the pump filled, I'd hear a whirring sound then the oil light would go off.

For some miles now, consistently, regardless if van sits 20 hours or a week or more, right after engine starts, oil light goes off quickly.

Possible reasons for this change:

- use of a "high mileage" VW oil filter (for synthetic oil). But, priming issue may've improved before that. Sorry. Can't recall.

- because of work done to reduce gear end play to pick up tube and or because pump consists of an ABA pump/gear and diesel pickup tube, a "break in" period is required to allow gear ends to wear, mate, to the pickup tube face. This might improve the seal between them might help reduce amount of oil draining out of the pump.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
drip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

As well in the oil filter adapter on the ABA 1 there’s a very small check valve/spring assy. I believe it’s to prevent drain back from the top end. Way to small for any kind of pressure relief.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

drip wrote:
As well in the oil filter adapter on the ABA 1 there’s a very small check valve/spring assy. I believe it’s to prevent drain back from the top end. Way to small for any kind of pressure relief.

Cool. Thanks. Didn't know about that detail. Since I did not replace the valve guides on this engine (machine shop tech pointed out the play at valves but said they were "ok". But even though they replaced the valve guide seals, engine blows a little blue at first start of the day) later on, I wondered if oil wasn't draining back due to some other wear points at the head. So that valve/spring assembly you point to may be something to consider; the oil filter adaptor I'm using had about 250K km's on it. (I rebuilt the engine it was on, the one currently installed).

I now further regret tossing the 1.8 RV block with that part. I could've looked into it. On the relief valve topic, if my logic is not incorrect, I wondered about possible "break in" of the pressure relief valve on the pick up tube and if it was sticking, how that might've applied to all this. But, it might be obvious if that valve weren't working correctly, right out of the box.

The image below shows the then new diesel vanagon oil pick up tube, currently installed. Prior to first start, I did some plasti gauge measurements on after doing the gear end play adjustment (milling down pickup tube plate on emery over thick piece of glass). Unlike the used diesel Vanagon pick up tube it replaced, there are no scoring marks on the pressure relief valve so I assume it has always been working correctly.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
drip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

I’ve got an 82 diesel Westy that I put in a ABA bottom end with a early 1.8 CIS
head/injection system. Works good very tuneable and smooth. Of course diesel pan and pick up tube. On almost all engines I put together I check and adjust oil pump clearance but this one I didn’t. No gasket between the pick up and pump but it looses its prime if sits for a few days. So I guess it still has that diesel sound for a sec. 😀
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

haha. "diesel sound".

Did some early VW inlines have a gasket between oil pump gear housing and pick up tube?

IIRC, it was list member Captain Pike who had a CIS mechanical swap he swore by (was quite reliable) and there was another Vanagaon with same, or E-CIS, "tiger van" ? that was also quite reliable.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

No, no gasket on the oil pick up tube, it`s submersed in oil anyway.

What oil pressure sender are you using on the cylinder head? a blue one?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

Cool. That's what I thought.

So the union between oil pick up tube and gear housing is submerged in oil? I didn't know that.

Yes. Blue oil pressure switch. Thanks for the double check though!

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:

Cool. That's what I thought.

So the union between oil pick up tube and gear housing is submerged in oil? I didn't know that.

Yes. Blue oil pressure switch. Thanks for the double check though!

Oh that gasket, sorry I was thinking upside down somehow but there`s nothing down lower. Not that part is not submersed I believe, my bad. I don`t think it would make much difference unless it`s crazy warped. have you spun the oil pump in the block with a drill? It will shoot oil like cray from any open port Laughing Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: