Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
have you spun the oil pump in the block with a drill? It will shoot oil like cray from any open port Laughing Laughing

Oh man, don't even remind me of THAT "episode".

After rebuilding the engine, I make a crude attachment out of 1/2" copper pipe to adapt my hand drill to the oil pump. I spun the drill VERY briefly and as soon as the pump developed pressure, like "maintenant", the ensuing torque almost took my @#$%^ fingers off my hand as the copper pipe jumped off the ABA oil pump drive.

So, yes, I spun the pump before the first engine start after rebuilding it. I can't believe that thing it still running. Ha ha.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
ALIKA T3 wrote:
have you spun the oil pump in the block with a drill? It will shoot oil like cray from any open port Laughing Laughing

Oh man, don't even remind me of THAT "episode".

After rebuilding the engine, I make a crude attachment out of 1/2" copper pipe to adapt my hand drill to the oil pump. I spun the drill VERY briefly and as soon as the pump developed pressure, like "maintenant", the ensuing torque almost took my @#$%^ fingers off my hand as the copper pipe jumped off the ABA oil pump drive.

So, yes, I spun the pump before the first engine start after rebuilding it. I can't believe that thing it still running. Ha ha.

Neil.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I did the same with a rubber hose, I didn`t know oil could shoot out for the oil pump shaft itself, it disengaged the hose and I had a geiser of oil for a few split seconds Laughing Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
europartsmonger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

I found that changing to a smaller filter solved everything. My oil light goes out in 3 seconds. I have the same exact setup 2.0 liter ABA block 1.8 liter head, etc.

The filter I use is the one designed for the early BMW 2002.
drip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Inline Conversion - Oil Priming Issues Reply with quote

Hey was your van an early diesel? Mine is a 82 Westy exdiesel. I really like the CIS injection so easy to tune. I’m still running with the diesel trans.
I’ll try the filter you suggest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: