Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Valve Tick
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Valve Tick Reply with quote

My motor-Type1 1776 stock cam and heads- developed a loud tick. Valves were confirmed to be set at .005. I pulled a rocker arm off and noticed one of the adjusters was pitted a little bit where it meets the valve. I also discovered the valves are at different heights-the exhaust valves sit lower than intake (end of stem sticks out less than intake). So I am mulling over the idea of pulling the heads myself or taking it in for repair. Would this possibly indicate a problem with the valve seats? The noise was coming from the 3-4 side and I haven't pulled the 1-2 rocker yet. When/if I re-assemble does the notch in the block that the rocker bolt goes through face up or down? I am a little concerned if I re-assemble that I will develop a leak between the cylinders/head. Motor has about 1500 miles approx. It was rebuilt using my existing stock heads-sorry for the wordy post and thank you for any advice/help offered.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure the pully tin isant being rubed by the pully,check for bent pushrods,rocker side play.always pull the rocker to the rear of the car when adjusting.
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much side play is acceptable? Do you fully compress wavy washers when checking? The exhaust valves were replaced when motor was rebuilt-but the intakes were not-wonder if this would acount for height difference. I will ck pushrods. Thank you!
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a variance of .007 between the tips of some of the intake and exhaust valves- also I am seeing circular patterns on some of the pushrods-indicating that they are possibly rubbing on the pushrod tubes. I don't see how the valve geometry can be consistent with this difference in height. When some valves are replaced and some aren't is it normal practice to have a variance in height like this? Any input from the experts would be appreciated.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.007 wont do squat. find out why the pushrods are rubbing, get a solid shaft kit or drill tap &make your a solid shaft & get a shim kit &get rid of the springythingys that break,go to the oil pump screw it up then get spit out of it & go to???? and the rocker is doing the kerry dance flipfloping around,just not a good pic.
THINGONER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/CB-Performance-Super-Stock-Rockers-1-1-1-Ratio-p/cb1684.htm
Thinking about buying a set of these as well as some HD aluminum P.R. anyone try a set?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: