Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need advice on a condenser problem.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rs58rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rust and nug......did you ever check the ohms output on primary and secondary circuits of your coils....bad wires and/or bad plugs can cause voltage overload....once that coil is overheated, it can cause hit and miss issues.
rusty shackleford
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a condenser problem. Reply with quote

Haven't posted in quite a while, not sure this needs its own separate subject, but:

Had a Bosch condenser fail at about 1000 miles, had to change it on the freeway left shoulder. Actually later re-installed the one that failed to confirm the failure would repeat, it did.

This is the second condenser I've had fail. The first one was conveniently at my house, but took a while to trouble shoot.

Anyway, local shops say "all the new production Bosch condensers will fail" and they've stopped selling them. Also they say they've contacted Bosch but "Bosch doesn't care".

I'm running a Rabbit condenser now, it kinda fits.

So, am thinking I might post a harshly-worded video ... would that be out of line ?

Thanks,

RS
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a condenser problem. Reply with quote

Well, they don't put the part # or the classic Bosch "magneto", or
whatever that was, on them anymore either.
Maybe that's warning enough?
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a condenser problem. Reply with quote

Necromancing a dead thread with an update...

I was cleaning the garage a few weeks ago, and found the .010. Dug out an old condenser from my pile, spliced a connector to it and put it and the .010 on the engine.
Zero issues so far. So unless I post up with another dead condenser story, consider this closed.... Thanks for all the advice, guys!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a condenser problem. Reply with quote

Kind of scary, the amount of the "new" Bosch condensers failing. I've actually never experienced a condenser failure. I haven't installed any new Bosch condensers. The last batch of points and condensers I bought was about 10 years ago and I still have some left. Lately, I've been checking the used Bosch condensers in used distributors I buy that are made in Germany and run them if they check ok.

My bus distributor had an original Bosch condenser from the 70's in it when I bought it at a swap meet. The distributor had clearly sat on someone's shelf for decades after the vacuum can blew. After rebuilding the distributor, I checked the used Bosch points and the condenser (which checked out fine) and have run them for 6k trouble free miles since.

I think people were very quick to throw out points and condensers at a certain "mileage" on them. In many cases, they were still good. There's lots of VW veteran owners who've run the same condenser for decades. They only change the points when they are worn out.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a condenser problem. Reply with quote

Can't find a good condenser?
Polyester film capacitors have been known to last a LONG time, and should be readily available. Condensers from other makes can be used. You can test them with a tester and find out the values.
I don't have any interest in it, but it might be of help to you.
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a condenser problem. Reply with quote

Back from the dead. I have not driven the car that much, life and the Texas heat/humidity puts a damper on the fun...
Well, it killed another condenser- that one I spliced the connector onto. I guess I'm stuck with the Chinese .009.
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a condenser problem. Reply with quote

Hey Rustforlife, have you considered an electronic ignition adaptation using points? Get rid of the problem forever. And use your 010.

-Frank
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a condenser problem. Reply with quote

Frank Bassman wrote:
Hey Rustforlife, have you considered an electronic ignition adaptation using points? Get rid of the problem forever. And use your 010.

-Frank

It had one in the chinese distributor, and it died right after I bought the car in 2011.
*edit* Can an otherwise operational alternator be the culprit?
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a condenser problem. Reply with quote

What's your C/R?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a condenser problem. Reply with quote

I've also had bad luck with the new Bosch condensers on a German 009. Now I'm running a 034 with a condenser that's probably 30 years old and no more issues. I used to toss unknown condensers into the round file as a matter of "maintenance" but not anymore. Seems the quality of the new ones is very poor.

Actually there was a thread here somewhere where someone cut open a old one, and a new replacement to see if there was a difference. The new one had crappy insulation between the coils, and had almost none on the bottom of the coils and they would short out to the housing and burn up. I can't find the thread, but I'm sure it's here somewhere if someone wants to hunt it down.

It's just another replacement part that sucks right out of the box. If someone knows a part from another make/model that works, and will last, that would be good info to post for everyone to know.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a condenser problem. Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
If someone knows a part from another make/model that works, and will last, that would be good info to post for everyone to know.

I continue to hear Echlin brand points and condensers from Napa are now the best to get. Robbie in the bay forum is at 35k miles on a set right now.

I also don't throw out German 70's condensers on used distributors either.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a condenser problem. Reply with quote

One thing missing in this is the type of construction of capacitor used in the condenser., specifically the plastic dielectric.
Some types can self heal if subjected to a very high voltage like if you pull a plug wire without connecting it to a plug and let it zap across a gap of an inch.
Each time they heal they lose a bit of capacitance and eventually to points will burn and the spark will weaken.
Other types of capacitor will just short if they break down.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a condenser problem. Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
What's your C/R?

8-something to 1. Got it written down somewhere....
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a condenser problem. Reply with quote

Rustforlife wrote:
FreeBug wrote:
What's your C/R?

8-something to 1. Got it written down somewhere....

ok, so that's not it...thought maybe the spark would have trouble jumping if you had said 13:1.
Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a condenser problem. Reply with quote

Back again.

It killed another condenser. Engine was idling then just stopped, as if I had turned the ignition off. Tried to restart to no avail, had to push it through a busy 4 way intersection into a parking lot. Pulled the distributor, swapped in a new condenser and it fired right up.

Here's the difference: it wasn't the .010 this time. The Chinese .009 was installed, and I believe that it was the first time I had a failure with this distributor since the Compufire crapped out way back when.

A friend suggested using an external resistor... opinions?
Thanks again, guys.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a condenser problem. Reply with quote

I have to love my Compufire.... 15 years so far and not a issue....

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a condenser problem. Reply with quote

Rustforlife wrote:
Back again.

It killed another condenser. Engine was idling then just stopped, as if I had turned the ignition off. Tried to restart to no avail, had to push it through a busy 4 way intersection into a parking lot. Pulled the distributor, swapped in a new condenser and it fired right up.

Here's the difference: it wasn't the .010 this time. The Chinese .009 was installed, and I believe that it was the first time I had a failure with this distributor since the Compufire crapped out way back when.

A friend suggested using an external resistor... opinions?
Thanks again, guys.

I didn't read this whole thread but wonder if you're installing "new" condensers or NOS Bosch ones? The "new" Bosch ones can be problematic with quality. I only run NOS German made Bosch condensers now in my VW's. I install them in my restored distributors that I sell as well.

I also purchased a vintage 60's Merc-o-tronic ignition/coil/condenser tester and had it repaired and calibrated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I check ALL condensers now with it that I mount on distributors that I restore. I find most used German Bosch condensers test perfect as well.

If you want to send me your bad condenser or more, let me know. I'd check them for free to see what they do on the machine.

Rustforlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a condenser problem. Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

If you want to send me your bad condenser or more, let me know. I'd check them for free to see what they do on the machine.

Sure, Pm me your address and I’ll do that. Thanks.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice on a condenser problem. Reply with quote

If I wanted a bulletproof condenser I would substitute a polyester (PET) capacitor of similar value, or... something like that....well I'm not an electronics guy but I'm sure that there is a better condenser out there and it probably costs a whole 3$, in this day and age.

Probably has been done. http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/cap_failure/

But I have no desire to do that, I rather use a TFI module.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: