Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Frozen door hinge
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Frozen door hinge Reply with quote

The passenger door on my 1959 VW bus that I am restoring has a frozen lower hinge. Someone over in the split window bus section recommended pouring some muriatic acid over the hinge. Does anyone recommend this and, if so, should I mix it with water like I have done when cleaning the inside of fuel tanks?
racoguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: Frozen door hinge Reply with quote

Campy wrote:
The passenger door on my 1959 VW bus that I am restoring has a frozen lower hinge. Someone over in the split window bus section recommended pouring some muriatic acid over the hinge. Does anyone recommend this and, if so, should I mix it with water like I have done when cleaning the inside of fuel tanks?

Heat it up with a torch and have a helper open and close the door while spraying wd40 at the hinge pin, have used this technique many times.
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what has worked for me. I soak the pin/hinge in pb blaster or a 50-50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. I apply liberally several times a day for a few days. Sometimes this will be enough. If not I then use an air chisel with a punch attachment and hit the bottom of the pin driving it up. Always works. Whatever method you use good luck.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oldmanmark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

every time i went into the garage for whatever i sprayed frozen hinge with WD40. after several weeks took channel locks and tried to break loose. Nope. try over n over. got out the propane and heated it up each trip into garage and it wiggled more. added WD40, heat until free. never severe heat. several months.
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try spraying more PBblaster on the hinge for several days, then get out the air chisel with a punch on it. If that does not work, I will heat it up. What if it still won't break free?
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PB blaster has not loosened the hinge. Muriatic acid did not loosen it. I put a punch on my air tool and all that did was spread out ther bottom of the pin. I used a propane torch to heat it and that did nothing. Should I use my oxy/acetelyne welder to heat it up? I am worried that too much heat will ruin it. What else can I do? This is really disturbing.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Frozen door hinge Reply with quote

racoguy wrote:
Campy wrote:

Heat it up with a torch and have a helper open and close the door while spraying wd40 at the hinge pin, have used this technique many times.

racoguy says he's used this technique many times.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The center part of the piece that the pin goes through is attatched to the front part of the hinge (on A pillar) and stays stationary (the top and bottom pieces are attatched to the rear part of the hinge on the door and move with it), which must be where the pin is frozen. I would like to soak the hinge but there is no way to do it. There seems to be no way to get PB blaster inside the piece by spraying it over it.
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have continued to spray PB blaster over the hinge and it is still stuck. There is no way to get the liquid insided the hinge to the pin. I would like to soak the hinge in a solvent but there is no way to have a container around the hinge.
MMW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would heat the hinge with oxy/acet real hot, even cherry red if needed. At this point you don't have much to loose as nothing else has worked.

You could also drill a small hole in each section of the hinge to spray pb in it to soak.

Drill out the pin & replace it with a new one?
Update - third pc. found!
Now just need the case halves.
1965 fenderless beetle
Middle child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has addressed heat warping the door...years ago we used in the auto body field asbestos in a paste form about as thick as toothpaste but made entirely of asbestos...probably illegal and not recommended today. I've done the heat with acetylene torch wd/40 it works....no more paint left but it works.
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a propane torch so the paint is already messed up; the bus is going to be repainted, anyway.
I had thought of drilling two little holes, one on each side, into that center part of the hinge that the pin is stuck in. Once freed, I would cover each hole with a tack weld.
How about grinding off the head on the pin, supporting the base of the hinge with a board between it and the floor, then trying to pound it out? Also, PB blaster might trickle down from the top. Are new door pins available?
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Campy wrote:
I tried a propane torch so the paint is already messed up; the bus is going to be repainted, anyway.
I had thought of drilling two little holes, one on each side, into that center part of the hinge that the pin is stuck in. Once freed, I would cover each hole with a tack weld.
How about grinding off the head on the pin, supporting the base of the hinge with a board between it and the floor, then trying to pound it out? Also, PB blaster might trickle down from the top. Are new door pins available?

If you are going to do that, why not drill the pin out? Start small and work up. If you screw up you could ream out and use/make and oversized pin? Not sure they are available aftermarket, but it seems simple enough for a machinist

From now on, I'm gonna connect the dots my own way!______________________________________
ritchiet002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used one! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1557402

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

New! And OD sizes!

http://www2.cip1.com/searchresults.asp?cat=578

From now on, I'm gonna connect the dots my own way!______________________________________
Campy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drilled a small hole in the upper rear side of the center part of the hinge where the pin is stuck and I have been spraying PB blaster in there, then putting a sheet metal screw in the hole to try and hold the solvent in. It is as frozen as ever.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it to a Muffler Shop if you are skeered to put heat on it and drive it out. They can weld up the new screw hole while it's there. You've been dinking around with this for 5 months. Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: