Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoring Camper Top FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Camper Top Reply with quote

So, I'm getting moving in my top. My canvas was in good shape, but it was gray, had some stains and overall I just wanted the yellow.
I came home from work today and started removing the screws around the alumnus trim. I got all out, and in a jar then marked my trim pieces so I put them back in the same places.
I rolled my canvas up a bit and was able to get to the staple strip.
Now, I have bought new strip from BD, but am more concerned about the condition of the roof.
Can someone tell me, should I be worried about this? What should I do to preserve the integrity of the wood/strips where the canvas staples to?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Camper Top Reply with quote

In keeping it simple and under $30, I used plastic pipe hangar from Home Depot for the staple strip, and rustoleum semi gloss with the finest small roller I could get (2 coats no finish sanding). Looks very good and I'm not doing anything new that hadn't been talked about here. The rustoleum seems to get thumbs up.

Installing the top canvas I removed the upper bunk and it made the job much easier than my other bus...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636839
yellowCOwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Camper Top Reply with quote

Just a quick reply to say thank you to the previous posters in this thread. Been a lurker here for a while and have not posted until now. This is my second bus, had a 78 back in college and decided to get one before these follow the air cooled 911 market into the stratosphere....

After a lot of reading here I tackled the canvas this past weekend leaving the top on. Like everyone said, just took my time with lots of breaks, mainly because it was 90+ degrees out an HOT in the bus. There are a few wrinkles, but I am pleased with my first attempt at this.

Bill

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Camper Top Reply with quote

Mike...I would not be too concerned with the wood unless you see rot. The key is using stainless staples and an electric staple gun. If the tack strip you bought splits at all during the process. Take it off and start over. I bought my tack strip from Jeffrey at BusOk....who probably buys it from Adam at NLA VW parts. I imagine that your strip is sourced from the same place. Take your time. That wood that Westfalia used is usually still very strong and rot free. If you still have the old strip you will notice they were not shy with the staples. I would "tack" it into place to make sure your happy with the fit first. Then go to town with the staple gun.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Camper Top Reply with quote

Thanks! I did use some exterior grade wood putty to fill in the larger "gaps" just so that there was a level surface for the tack strip to bind to.
Got the surface flush and did exactly what you mentioned. The tent came out great. I have one spot I wish was a bit more taught, but I think I am over-inspecting it.
Used the tutorials here and was very pleased. Not difficult, just time consuming and I had to be a bit of a contortionist.
I also painted the roof and put on all new seals.
I think I put some pics in my build thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bus_lover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Camper Top Reply with quote

I just got a 73 westy. The Tent looks to be in good condition but doesnt seem to stay up- is there a trick? The hinges dont seem to have enough room to lock out.

Also, is it supposed to be stapled all the way around on inside?

And does the 73 westy not come w a bunk up top- can you only order the cots? If so, do they have to be removed when top is down? I guess there is room for only one cot?

Thanks for the help!
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Camper Top Reply with quote

That's great to hear Mike! Keep in mind that if you have a cotton poptop tent that it will shrink and stretch a bit with moisture and heat. You may find that with a little time the fit is perfect. My first Westy had the original tent and it was almost too tight. Over time I think it shrunk and eventually ripped in places. So a little loose isn't going to hurt....too tight may over the long haul.
Dandelion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Camper Top FAQ Reply with quote

Does anyone have a resource for camper top/fiberglass refinishing? I don't have the desire to do it myself.
I'm in North East Los Angeles.
Thanks!
1994 Jetta
1981 Jetta
1973 Bug
Sally the Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Camper Top FAQ Reply with quote

Reviving this thread....

When you guys say "rust oleum" bright white. Do you mean the topside paint they make for boats?
or the normal enamel like this? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-1...lsrc=aw.ds

I would think the topside has better UV resistance?

I'm about to do this project this weekend!
BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Camper Top FAQ Reply with quote

Sally the Bus wrote:
Reviving this thread....

When you guys say "rust oleum" bright white. Do you mean the topside paint they make for boats?
or the normal enamel like this? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-Stops-Rust-1...lsrc=aw.ds

I would think the topside has better UV resistance?

I'm about to do this project this weekend!

I used the off the shelf type you listed from Home Depot. That was a few years back, and it seems to be holding up well. Yes, I would imagine that the boat variety would be better, and cost more. Just my opinion.

Life is short. Can I have some of yours?
Dandelion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Camper Top FAQ Reply with quote

Dandelion here, again...

Can anyone recommend a VW/Body/Paint shop who can do this for me? I have lung disease which prevents me from being around chemicals.

No cracks or damage, just worn and dingy.

Thanks!
1994 Jetta
1981 Jetta
1973 Bug
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Camper Top FAQ Reply with quote

Hi,
I was wondering if someone can give me some input here.
Replacing the top, which seems to be straightforward, but are noticing this chipping going on.

Mostly easily seen in the last pic. the previous pics are for perspective.
I thought at first this chip that comes off this area is dried paint, but actually I am not sure if it is some plastic or resin fiberglass.

If it is not paint, what is the best way to fix it.
Notice the lack of seam from the top to the wood... which makes me think it is plastic (?)
Thanks

Our79Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Camper Top FAQ Reply with quote

That stuff is the fiberglass epoxy hiding a piece of wood. Youll never notice it, so just paint over it to seal out moisture.

Good luck Smile

here's a link to my poptop refresh

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620475&highlight=

See the most up to date status of Constance on YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCvO1ZedS22IepvvRYaTxiPQ

My 1979 Westfalia Campmobile's sundry Tales of Constance
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620965

1990 Vanagon, Red, Driven 70,000 miles till sold.
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Camper Top FAQ Reply with quote

OK, thanks,

I ended up bondo - ing over it, another type of plastic I guess, then painted it.

Matt
mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Camper Top FAQ Reply with quote

I am working on mounting the tent to the bus now.
but to back up some.....

I took the top off the bus

This is one area that is not discussed... how much fabric gets stapled to the wooden frame?

With the top upside down, you are looking at the bottom of the wooden frame, which I will now refer it as the top of the frame base on point of view.

When I put the tent to the top, I stapled the cloth about a half inch down from the top of the wood all along the perimeter. This is the exactly how the one I removed was. So there is some play as to how much fabric to staple to the wood before putting on the thick plastic piece. I noticed BD plastic is wider than the original. This fabric play is maybe an inch?
Soooo, with the play of how much fabric to staple to the side of the wooden frame, that will give you possibly too much or too little fabric when you mount it to the bus.

Which is what I am doing now.
With the top on, and opened all the way, enough fabric falls to the front center for me to put the metal hold down bar with screws. The fabric is quite snug tho. This worries me in that I may have too much fabric (?) This is just the front by hand.. Things seem to tighten up a bit when I try to hold down the corners.. I really dont know how it will turn out until done tho. The sides seem very tight if I hold the ridge of the fabric to the body.

I am half expecting to have to redo it all ...
Any comments?

Thanks!
tjrm63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Camper Top FAQ Reply with quote

As long as you stapled the new fabric to where the old fabric was on the pop top
you should have enough for the metal strip that holds the fabric to the roof. I put a closed 6' ladder standing up next to the middle brace so I could lower the lift bar mechanism and let the pop top rest on the ladder which will give you an easier time installing the fabric under the metal brackets. The plastic ridge on the bottom of the fabric should just be past the metal bracket. Start in the front middle and work your way out to the corners pulling it tight to the corners and work your way to the back the same way pulling it tight towards the back. After the fabric is installed all the way around push the lifting bar slowly till it locks. The fabric will be very tight but it will lock and stretch. Good luck you'll be fine.
I cut my roof out and added a late westy pop top to my 71 transporter, I had nothing to go by but I grafted and welded the top on and figured out the placement for the hinges and metal fabric brackets that hold down the cloth and it came out perfect

mr matt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoring Camper Top FAQ Reply with quote

OK, thanks,
My concern is possibly to have too much fabric; hopefully when all is done, it will be very tight.
Thanks!

& that bus looks great!
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Restoring Camper Top FAQ Reply with quote

I need to replace the rear rib that had this cobbled wood brace on it from the PO.
But I need to know where the brace should go though so the new tent fits properly.

Does anyone have the dimensions or a measurement for the correct placement on a 71 westy pop top?

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: