Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanistan 2.2 engines: Lets hear some more reviews!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mention dyno testing Exclamation
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furrylittleotter,
As this thread was obviously started with the intent of discussing the Vanistan motor maybe you should direct those questions over here?
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...highlight=

You've obviously been there as you are quoting it so why not post there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:
Any dyno run figures?

Nope, not gonna play the numbers game. I'm selling on quality.

From prior Posts.
kryptkat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a stock Syncro with a bare bone DJ motor in it and I am really impressed with the power band in that motor. Off the line pick up is good enough to keep up with all the modern vehicles and I can do 75mph all day on the freeway. I would like to compare it to the Vanistan motor so if anyone is around the Orange County California area and would like to do a test drive comparison and talk Vanagon, please contact me.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryptkat wrote:
I have a stock Syncro with a bare bone DJ motor in it and I am really impressed with the power band in that motor. Off the line pick up is good enough to keep up with all the modern vehicles and I can do 75mph all day on the freeway. I would like to compare it to the Vanistan motor so if anyone is around the Orange County California area and would like to do a test drive comparison and talk Vanagon, please contact me.

I have a DJ as well.
I would estimate both it and the Vanistan 2.2 to be in the 110-112HP range.
They do drive similarly.

No, I have no dynoed either of them, nor do I feel the need.
SCP_Austin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The creator of the Vanistan motors hasn't Dyno tested, but that isn't to say a fellow Sambanista has not. I am not a numbers on motors--as I am interested in the motor due to the quality of the work. However, I would be very interested in seeing Vanistan 2.2 compared to a DJ motor. Whether that is a side by side drag race or Dyno figures...is TBD.

The beauty of America is choice. Anyone who has a motor can choose to Dyno it if they want. They can choose to share it if they want.

I freaking love America.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ute wrote:

I freaking love America.

Like Chile, or Argentina or Nicaragua or Canada, or what?

I'm pretty sure Chris posted a dyno sheet at one point in time. From what I could recall, it compared fairly decently lots of other options, especially the torque curve.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kryptkat wrote:
I have a stock Syncro I would like to compare it to the Vanistan motor so if anyone is around the Orange County California area and would like to do a test drive comparison and talk Vanagon, please contact me.

I can bring my Frankenmotor powered Dustbucket to this party.

I got a pint that says the plant with the stock exhaust takes second after me.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the Vanistan 2.2 has been dynoed and the sheet is available in another thread.

The WBXhaust has not be dynoed to show the diffference between stock and "tuned".

Chris's work and products speak for themselves.
If you feel the need to dyno them...go for it.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan 2.2 engines: Lets hear some more reviews! Reply with quote

Before this descends into playground braggadocio perhaps someone can yet answer the OP's question:

Red Beard wrote:
There are 40-50 of these things out there... I'm guessing most of the owners are samba members... So why don't y'all make some noise and convince the rest of us to call the dude and hand over our $$$!

I took it to mean he is looking for comments from someone who owns and drives a Vanagon with a Vanistan engine.

I will add that I do not doubt for a moment that Chris builds a quality engine and for a cost that is quite reasonable (when you look at what other non-VW 4-cylinder engine rebuilds can run). But my opinion should count for nothing as it is based on impressions rather than experience.
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

furrylittleotter wrote:
That extra noise others are talking about is more than likely caused by gasses expanding (and thereby slowing) in those massive, long sweeping, relatively thin (as compared to stock cast sections) primary and secondary tubes, which I have little doubt diminishes torque as the following gasses hit the previously mentioned expanded bursts.

Don't get me wrong I think it is a beautiful header, and actually not poorly engineered, for a turbo engine. However, I stand by my reasoning that VW used small primaries on it's normally aspirated vanagon engines for a reason, even going so far as to re-engineer the entire exhaust and continue to use relatively small primaries with the advent of the 2.1l.

Neil2

Our tubing is the same size as the factory tubing. 1 1/2 .120 tubing.
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: 2.2 VS mK-3 Reply with quote

I am waiting for the parts of my 1.9 L gas wbx. I saw something from k engineering about doing adapters for using a jetta MK3 into a vanagon with automatic. I have seen a few of those, I am concerned about the gear ratios - with an automatic that should not be a problem. As I found out, the head studs are the weak part of the 1.9? I have a 83 vanagon with a 1.9 diesel in it, too cold to use with all the snow on the ground... From what I have heard, there isn't that much difference between the 1.9 wbx and the 2.2. That is .3 Liter in displacement. the mk-3 has 1.8 Liter and 2.0 liter, I don't know what the curve is like, from what I have heard, the mk-3 has a much better power curve. That engine is a little easier to work on than the wbx and is more reliable than the wbx. In California one might be hard pressed to meet emissions, We don't have that much of a problem in the mid-west.
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted an experience with a build similar to the vanistan 2.2 in my Homebrew 2.4 thread. I'm sure Chris's build is more refined with cam choice etc... but, without a doubt, the best bang for buck engine out there. That said, I will be replacing my 2178 with 2.4 version 2 as soon as I get it built. My goal would be to have the torque of a high comp 2.4 with the free revving of the 2178. This combo is QUITE a bit more expensive to build than a 2.2 though (Therefor, bang\buck)
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also say that my fauxistan build is capable of quite nice MPG numbers and also some not so nice if I keep my foot in it.

On a recent 225 Mile round trip to Hollister Hills OHV with 5 bikes, trailer, hitch carrier, thule box, gear for camping and riding, 6 people and 100lb dog I averaged 18.7 mpg holding a steady 3400 rpm, 205/70/15 tires.

I also have gotten as low as 15mpg while lightly loaded just blasting around locally.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fauxistan Wink
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
tencentlife wrote:
vanagonjr wrote:
Any dyno run figures?

Nope, not gonna play the numbers game. I'm selling on quality.

From prior Posts.

Yeah, besides that confidentiality and non-disclosure/no-video agreement that Mr.Corkins had his lawyer show up and have us sign Razz if one has done their research there is no other option save a Rocky Jennings hand built motor. We used to also have Boston Bob, RIP.
The way I look at it is through my Split Bus lenses…20 years from now, I feel that a van with a true hand built motor will be worth much more than one which has been fitted with a Ford or Subaru Motor. I make no arguments against those who go that way and they are very impressive to say the least, but, they are not for me. Chris hand builds every one of these motors and they are works of art. The fact that Mike at RMW is getting one should also give you an idea of the quality Wink

At the shop where #51 is being installed, #15-20 is being taken out of a Syncro Tintop and the owner is having it put in a 2WD Westy that more suits his needs right now. Its ironic. Cool People hang on to these motors. This guy bought the SyncroTintop with the Vanistan motor already in it(the Purple one)and he is transferring it to his next ride…...

Seriously, keep an eye on my Mr.Hanky thread in my sigline. #51 should be installed in a couple weeks as we only have one day a week to work on it at present. It will be making a trip to Syncro Solstice in May.

VANISTAN #51

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to ask. Are Chris and Rocky in cahoots?
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:
They are friends and both speak highly of one another, that much I know. Cahoots though….. Rolling Eyes
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save the drama.
I'm only asking since they both seem to have the passion.
If one is busied up, it'd be nice to know there is a second chance
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regis101 wrote:

From the Vanistan website:
Quote:
The WBXaustSS is a collaboration between Vanistan and Rocky Mountain Westy in Colorado.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: