Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanistan 2.2 engines: Lets hear some more reviews!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan 2.2 engines: Lets hear some more reviews! Reply with quote

Here are the intake runners and crossover coolant pipe for this engine.
I featured them in another thread dealing with rust converting and coatings.
You can see the flip flop in colors.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These engines from Chris are so sweet, I can't help myself making them look the part Wink
Once installed, the van will only see Memorial Day to Labor Day use and be enjoyed on sunny days.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan 2.2 engines: Lets hear some more reviews! Reply with quote

Awesome Chuck.
Sweet looker for sure.

This time around for me, mostly gloss black, with true blue highlights.
All the stainless will be polished on the engine and the WBXhaust will be wrapped with black DEI titanium header wrap with stainless ties.

I will post pictures as it is being reassembled before spring.
highaltidude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vanistan 2.2 engines: Lets hear some more reviews! Reply with quote

Mine wasn't blue......

Smile

Chuck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan 2.2 engines: Lets hear some more reviews! Reply with quote

My Vanistan day 1:

It has been pulled from the original van it was installed in and is getting a mild refreshening so it will look this good again.
30,000 miles logged thus far.
highaltidude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanistan 2.2 engines: Lets hear some more reviews! Reply with quote

I've had my Vanistan motor installed now for two weeks.

I live at 7,100ft, so I got the "high altitude" version. It replaced a stock 1.9L. I also have the RMW/Vanistan stainless exhaust, and added the oil cooler kit.

Everything came professionally packed and secured. The instructions were clear and it came with all the little things needed for installation. I had the install done by my air cooled mechanic and he was impressed with the "fit and finish".

I had questions about what other things should be addressed when the motor swap was done (this is a 32 year old vehicle after all.....)... Chris was prompt and thorough in his e-mail responses. VERY helpful.....

My Vanagon is not a daily driver, and usually just sits in December, especially in Colorado.... But I've been driving it every day. Groceries, Christmas shopping, errands.... It's just flat out way more fun to drive now. Each time out I drive a section of road I've struggled with before, and I can really tell the improvement. I no longer fear freeway on ramps.

I'm only 400 miles into ownership, but I'm quite happy!!! It just feels stronger each time out....
I've checked one tank of gas for mileage so far. 18mpg w mostly "city" driving. I got 20-21mpg w the 1.9L. But I know I'm driving with a heavier foot right now enjoying the increased power pulling the hills.

The wife and I have never been to Florida. We'll be driving the Vanagon out there early next year, and also have plans for an extended trip to Mexico. This motor should really make a difference on those trips.....

Smile

Chuck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:
Love My Westy wrote:
Any updates on how the Vanistan engines are performing now that they been installed for a few years? There also must be a lot of newer installations since the last post in 2014. Let's hear how they're running. I'm still in the market for one.
I would still highly recommend a Vanistan, just have it professionally installed by a mechanic who gives a shit about it unlike the mechanic who performed the install on Mr. Hanky. What a clusterF$%& this whole situation has been. I had to redo 80% of the install work I initially paid him to perform.

Mine, Vanistan #51, runs like a raped ape. I cannot wait to put bigger tires on it as around here it is hard to use the power in the higher gears. I get on the freeway in third gear and get up to speed @60ish, then shift into 4th and it wants to go back into 3rd as it is in the low 2,000 range and feels like it is lugging. The shifting points are much higher than stock, in fact, you can take it way up into the redline as necessary. The torque is just awesome.
Well worth the $$$, Friend Rich! Get yourself one, have Hans help you with the install Wink

Thanks Jeffrey,
I'm glad to hear you finally got yours running right. I don't know when I will get the Vanistan, but it's still on my list. $$ are always a problem, but so is the fact that my 2.1 is still running great and the advice that everybody gives me to just keep driving it. I need to have the oil pressure checked and the engine evaluated because I sure don't want to ruin my core by having it blow up.
Good to hear from you.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
Any updates on how the Vanistan engines are performing now that they been installed for a few years? There also must be a lot of newer installations since the last post in 2014. Let's hear how they're running. I'm still in the market for one.
I would still highly recommend a Vanistan, just have it professionally installed by a mechanic who gives a shit about it unlike the mechanic who performed the install on Mr. Hanky. What a clusterF$%& this whole situation has been. I had to redo 80% of the install work I initially paid him to perform.

Mine, Vanistan #51, runs like a raped ape. I cannot wait to put bigger tires on it as around here it is hard to use the power in the higher gears. I get on the freeway in third gear and get up to speed @60ish, then shift into 4th and it wants to go back into 3rd as it is in the low 2,000 range and feels like it is lugging. The shifting points are much higher than stock, in fact, you can take it way up into the redline as necessary. The torque is just awesome.
Well worth the $$$, Friend Rich! Get yourself one, have Hans help you with the install Wink
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickf46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a motor head, but just got my westie back with the Ten Cent motor. The install was done by Pete Dexter at Volksparts in Walpole NH (Except he can't call it that anymore. Lawyers.) Included in the install: oil cooler, new sensors and senders and wiring harness. And whatever bit Pete felt was needed. The harness was self-funded since I opted out of the Vanistan/RMW tuned exhaust and "only" got the GW SS set-up. (My wife doesn't understand how the harness is now "free.") I trusted Pete absolutely and he delivered completely.

I dropped off a very anemic vehicle and drove off with something dramatically different. Great throttle response, pulls up hills, makes me smile. That's all I got for you from the technical end.

But, buying from Chris was a pleasure. The man is erudite, literate, attuned to the world around him. My life is built upon the concept that you vote with your dollars. In other words, your heart should be included in your buying decision.
Another lesson from this venture - every merchant in this space is great and I think I bought something from everyone (GW, Van Cafe, T3, RMW, Vanagain, etc.) We are a lucky bunch of obsessives.

Anyone near my little corner of NH (03458) is welcome to check out my Vanistan. If I am not off in the woods...
heart4Pahoa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kreissig,

Thanks for the supplied info as this was the information I understood was being requested of the OP. You are just North of me (I am in Dana Point). Any chance I could buy you lunch and get a peak at your vanistan engine and take a test drive? I would like to pick your brain more if you have the time too. Feel free to PM me. We (the family) have an 83 (water-cooled 1.9) and it runs swimmingly for now, but just looking to the future.
Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this post thus far... be it good, bad or ugly.

Peace,

Matthew
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just put my 1,000,000th (give or take a few Wink ) revolution on the new Vanistan engine that is now pushing Sparkles around.

The facts:
1986 tin-top syncro, factory trans w/ locking diff, BFG 215 75 r15 wheels, 2.2 wbx Vanistan high-alt cam, wbxhaust w/ cat, ski pole shifter

The first point I would like to address is the "noise". Honestly I am quite surprised how quiet everything is at 75mph-4200rpm when cruising down the interstate. If anything this rig runs quieter than before. Yes, it does sound louder from the outside when driving around town in tunnels etc. I would get a ride in one and see how loud they are if that really causes you worry... but it shouldn't.

Driving behaviour is much improved... obviously with the hp/ftlb gains over stock this is going to be the case. Anecdotal... merging from a stop up a ramp into freeway trafic is a breeze, even passing semis is easy. Up here at altitude the power so far has been great and the hills can now be climbed at freeway speeds.

Looking forward to many more rev's!
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocky Mountain Westy wrote:
insyncro wrote:

Find the closest transplant and contact the owner.
If you ask nicely, I'm sure they will take you for a spin.
First hand experience is by far the best, if you ask me.

Marius Strom is up in Seattle. He loves chatting VW too.

Did someone page me? Smile
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
Not a review since I don't own a Vanistan engine, but one will likely go into my 84 Westy when the time comes.

After years of Samba searching to get and keep my two Vanagons running, one thing I have learned is that when tencentlife weighs in on a discussion, I can usually stop right there. The guy knows his work. Even if there was not a single in-lb or hp gain in his engines, I know that the reliability would be excellent because he has answered about every question that has been asked on this forum about every issue. I'm sure his engines reflect his knowledge.

And with all that knowledge you get zero vanity, arrogance or snobbery.

-d

In-lb... That's funny, cause it's true
kreissig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: My 2.2 at just under one year old Reply with quote

So, I waited to post anything here until I had some real miles on my motor.

Performance: As I expected, torque is improved to the point that hills are not a "feared" obsticle with traffic around me.

Build Quality: Excellent, as many will say who have seen one of these up close. One issue I had was that the seal for the oil cooler was silicone and leaked almost from day one. (This may have been the installer - I'm not sure.) The second issue - the barrel bolt that secures the accel. cable to the custom throttle body is a bit small and vacilates within the armature. (Although this may again have been a result of the installer - I was not happy with my installer, and I detected some dishonesty from him, so I do/did not fault Tencent for any of these issues.

Rocky Mountain Exhaust: One issue. It has begun to "chirp" (as in a sound of metal to metal scraping) at idle when the engine is not fully warm and the resultant extra vibartion seems to cause this. In other words, after longer operation when the motor is fully warm, the idle is naturally smoother and no "chirping" is detectable.[/b]
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
To Seņor Red Beard: don't forget there is a Real Wide World outside this musty little corner of the World Wide Web. My customers mostly spend their time there. Some look at places like this but prefer not to participate; I don't need to wonder why. From about 90% of them, you're unlikely to ever read anything, good or bad, on the web.

To almost everyone else: thanks so much for your kind words and support. I aspire to make sure your positive impressions are always well-founded. And don't feed the trolls.

A fine example of taking the high-road. Nice job, Chris. A quality product and excellent customer support speak for themselves. The complete absence of any negative feedback with over 50 engines out there tells the story.

D
Jeff's Old Volks Home
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
To Seņor Red Beard: don't forget there is a Real Wide World outside this musty little corner of the World Wide Web. My customers mostly spend their time there. Some look at places like this but prefer not to participate; I don't need to wonder why. From about 90% of them, you're unlikely to ever read anything, good or bad, on the web.

To almost everyone else: thanks so much for your kind words and support. I aspire to make sure your positive impressions are always well-founded. And don't feed the trolls.

Rarely something worth quoting here...Except this, thanks, you made my day. Some people take things, way too seriously.
Jeff
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a review since I don't own a Vanistan engine, but one will likely go into my 84 Westy when the time comes.

After years of Samba searching to get and keep my two Vanagons running, one thing I have learned is that when tencentlife weighs in on a discussion, I can usually stop right there. The guy knows his work. Even if there was not a single in-lb or hp gain in his engines, I know that the reliability would be excellent because he has answered about every question that has been asked on this forum about every issue. I'm sure his engines reflect his knowledge.

And with all that knowledge you get zero vanity, arrogance or snobbery.

-d
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:

good on ya, mate! Wink
Well spake!
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
I have nothing to prove nor do I sell any of the parts listed in this thread.

If you want to find out how well oil cooling works...try an Internet search Dude Exclamation

Idea We are now cooling the fluid in the Syncro transmissions as well FYI Wink

It works and helps when the connected powerplant is well beyond stock parameters.

X2. I didn't see any new post from the OP Very Happy

May he did call Chris
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: