Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who rebuilt their bed/seat podium?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Who rebuilt their bed/seat podium? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am redecorating.. relaid a new wood floor, got my underbody propex and am full on trying to bangout my interior. I'm a little stumped on design potentials.

I originally yanked the broken Zbed, and really didnt like the design, omitted the rear heater..

Version 1 build which saw basic cabinets.. required you lift up the bed.. at that time there was a full 12 inch memory foam queen bed.. too big!

It was too Spartan for my tastes and I was rushed to build..

So, that is comin out..

My V2 design idea starts off with the Busdepot sofa hinge.. and since I've already built out the wall cards, hollowed out the walls for storage I'd intended on utilizing that area, opening those sections with a small frame bolted to the wall replacing the black doorcards you see in the pictures in this post.. the idea is to provide more interior storage adjacent to the bed, without cutting down too much on the bed itself. I am also going to have either a slider card or a hinged door for each port/in wall cabinet.

My design considerations should allow for,

1. Room for routing ducting under the bed to Passenger side, ducting to blow air onto the bed, and a couple other places in the cabin (non related to the bed itself)
2. An angular ramp to let the bed's backing sit/latch onto when the bed is Upright.
3. Lower cabinets under the bed, on sliders, lockable.
4. forward firing 6x9 speakers to be remounted as in pics

Pics of stuff I'd built, yanked,

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'd actually bought/returned, and didn't really prefer the Busdepot hinges, but have been thinking about reordering them and rebuilding the convertible bench/bed platform.

Curious about other's designs if they're willing to share a build thread. Didn't see much on the search.

Has anyone else done this?
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought.
I've often considered redoing my vans interior.
One of the things I don't like about travelling with kids or friends is how far back they are, and how cluttered the floor gets with gear.

If I were starting with a empty van...I would move the bench seat forward to the middle position, and have a huge storage area behind the seat.

The seat back could drop down for a bed.
Westy bracket on the passengers pedestal for a table.
both front seat pedestals would make great foot rests storage shelves for passengers.
....Just some ideas I've toying with.

I really like your side panel storage.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not yet embarked on this journey but will........ Eventually.

I've a Weekender. I'm keeping the "Z" bed but I plan to pull off the plastic front panel and build in drawers and cabinets to give frontal access plus still have select deep compartments and a shallow tray across the entire top that is accessed by lifting the seat.

In short........ A LOT more organization, not just a deep well into which crap is thrown.

I also elected to remove my rear heater for the space it affords me under the seat. We are fair weather campers only.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goffoz wrote:
Just a thought.
One of the things I don't like about travelling with kids or friends is how far back they are, and how cluttered the floor gets with gear.

If I were starting with a empty van...I would move the bench seat forward to the middle position, and have a huge storage area behind the seat.

both front seat pedestals would make great foot rests storage shelves for passengers.

That is similar to turning your Vanagon into a minivan with bed. I would never want to lose the "living room" my Westy provides just to favor storage room. You would be blocking half the sliding door opening. Just my opinion, we all have different objectives.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really thinking about pullin the trigger on this:

Adjustable width.. up to 60".. and adjusts down, too. I'm with this. This would make installation of drawers, really a snap.

300 bux.. not bad considering the hinges alone are 99$ and shipping..

I think I'm gunna do it.. anyone else use this bed?
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
goffoz wrote:
Just a thought.

That is similar to turning your Vanagon into a minivan with bed. I would never want to lose the "living room" my Westy provides just to favor storage room. You would be blocking half the sliding door opening. Just my opinion, we all have different objectives.

And older with kids, its nice to have them WAAAAAYYYY.. back there.. Helps muffle the chitter chatter.. which is fun for the first 30 mins of travel but then gets to be more than one needs.

I do run my Westy in a 6 passenger layout sometimes.. with a matching middle bench in.. and if done right you can lay down the Westy bed and have that huge storage AND kids/adults can sit right up there with you. We have all 6 seats working during little league season so we can portage the team about.
I do wish that middle bench was not so heavy. We have brought it along on camping trips and pulled it while camped.
But is not something you want to do for one night stays.. kind of a pain.

There is a ton of function available... get creative.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am curious if anyone has bought, installed the JOGR "The Samba Advertiser" brand Rock and Roll bed as pictured in my last update..

Curious how much this thing weighs........
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is a Riviera so have cabinets on both sides and yet a really big bed. I took the Zed bed out, took the leading retaining wall out, removed the back heater but retained it for future owners. I use hemp baskets under the seat of the bed when in couch formation but can jam lots of other stuff in there when bed is down. Also put a hammock on the leading edge for last minute or need regularly items. When we put the veneer floor in we put it all the way back to the ? fire wall. Put the zed bed frame back in with new 4" foam. Now I wish I'd only used 2.5 or 3" foam.

But I'd never get rid of the salon design, too cozy when bed not needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.drivenachodrive.com/about-nacho/installing-custom-cabinets-in-nacho-vanagon/
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.. I am definitely inspired by them.. Unbeleivable dreams, and aspirtions MATERIALIZED. I decided a 3 cartridge 1Micron/.5 micron/UV light setup from SafH20 and I think that's all about I'm doing for water filtration.. love the interior..

being as I grew up in woodworking, I'm hoping to take a little time, and get rid of my Spartan build.. and bring it up a couple notches.. LImo/partybus/yacht/jetliner/private jet interior designs are all things I've been looking at extensively online.. for how they utilize space, types of materials, general design.

Thanks!
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is mine, I used old futon hinges. I do like that metal frame seat posted above. If I did it again I'd likely go with that.

Can see more @ http://vanigans.com/2013/12/working-on-the-camper-conversion/
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya!

I'm almost thinking a all wood base and metal backing on wood plank build would be more ideal for me.. I really like your design, simple.

The all metal has weight.. I already have a lot of weight into the van with its full expedition level contingent believe me.

Yea, I'm lusting after the ease of it.. but.. really.. the simple hinge and another new design for the bench base, and wood drawers are going to be basic design anyhow.. I'm gunna sleep on it.

Problem is, I've been sleepin on it too much.

I think I'm really digging the simplicity of your design, I'd cover it or build it differently and paint it.. but yea.. the design is showing me enough to sway me heavily. I may add two drop down legs to bear more weight as the bed is extended flat..

I need to become more familiar with the movement of the bracket.. how does the back of the "seat" allow you to stay upright, say.. if there was an accident?

I do want to be able to assure that incase of an accident the seat is strong enough both in the holding the seat "Up" while the passenger is seated/belted in.. with the gear being stowed behind it.. not hurting someone sitting.. so it has to keep its shape in the event of an acccident and also afford seatbelts.. going to be ordering those soon with GW..

Last edited by dubbified on Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's mine. I built it to match the raised engine lid on my 15° ALH install. I will build storage around the engine lid in order to end up with a flat bed area but need to get a round tuit. I will also re-cover it.

dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha.. well.. I am going ALH.. in this automatic.. come another month.. the engine is already on the FS thread.. haha..

It was a mistake for me not to repower out the gate of ownership.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got those hinges and cushions from a friend who totaled his vanagon but I believe they are the same as the set that bus depot sells. The end result is that I get a flat bed, a lot of extra storage space and a rear seat that has stock vanagon geometry. I'm pleased although I need to finish it all up.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:
Heya!

I'm almost thinking a all wood base and metal backing on wood plank build would be more ideal for me.. I really like your design, simple.

The all metal has weight.. I already have a lot of weight into the van with its full expedition level contingent believe me.

Yea, I'm lusting after the ease of it.. but.. really.. the simple hinge and another new design for the bench base, and wood drawers are going to be basic design anyhow.. I'm gunna sleep on it.

Problem is, I've been sleepin on it too much.

I think I'm really digging the simplicity of your design, I'd cover it or build it differently and paint it.. but yea.. the design is showing me enough to sway me heavily. I may add two drop down legs to bear more weight as the bed is extended flat..

I need to become more familiar with the movement of the bracket.. how does the back of the "seat" allow you to stay upright, say.. if there was an accident?

I do want to be able to assure that incase of an accident the seat is strong enough both in the holding the seat "Up" while the passenger is seated/belted in.. with the gear being stowed behind it.. not hurting someone sitting.. so it has to keep its shape in the event of an acccident and also afford seatbelts.. going to be ordering those soon with GW..

Well, as far as an accident, it's like any thing else that is DIY. However looking at a westy set up and they used wood panels for the seat and back. Just the frame is metal, so I wouldn't expect them to be much better to be honest.

My hinges are built so they only open one direction, but don't suspect z bed hinges are any better in a wreck and a lot of people use those. Even still I'm not finished with the supports and I'm hoping to come up with a lock of some sort.

Overall though Im building the van for myself and don't really intend to carry many people. It's gonna be a road trip camper.

Last edited by DAV!D on Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome. Do you have any build threads about it? I could use a resource dump/cache.. to assure least headache in the next months.

I cant wait to Tdi.

I am going to farm out the block build and do my own hand build on a stand.

Please don't tempt me to talk about my illness here, I cant do it.

Back to the now seemingly boring Bench project... Thank you very much..

How to keep the back upright incase of an accident if the busdepot version is used?

The stock seat locked into a pin, and the bench itself was beefy.. knowing I'm building a bedframe and a safety mechanism built in for seating.. I'd think the backing should be rigid and needs to stay upright, and if gear is in the back seat, I don't want someone sandwiched if the van comes to a halt.. should there be ordinate gear in the back, sliding forward.. if that makes sense..

I guess I could come up with something to build in a latch to the seat back to the wall.. if needed. what do you guys think?
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:
That's awesome. Do you have any build threads about it? I could use a resource dump/cache.. to assure least headache in the next months.

I cant wait to Tdi.

I am going to farm out the block build and do my own hand build on a stand.

Please don't tempt me to talk about my illness here, I cant do it.

Back to the now seemingly boring Bench project... Thank you very much..

How to keep the back upright incase of an accident if the busdepot version is used?

The stock seat locked into a pin, and the bench itself was beefy.. knowing I'm building a bedframe and a safety mechanism built in for seating.. I'd think the backing should be rigid and needs to stay upright, and if gear is in the back seat, I don't want someone sandwiched if the van comes to a halt.. should there be ordinate gear in the back, sliding forward.. if that makes sense..

I guess I could come up with something to build in a latch to the seat back to the wall.. if needed. what do you guys think?

Not really, just what is on my blog about it.

I pretty much just used a set of futon hinges and used cardboard to make a template for the plywood sides. I made three pieces for each side and glued/screwed them together for more strength.. The inner most layer I left notches for the side supports.

I made the cross supports with 1x2 pine I think it was and screwed them to the sides and also added some metal corner supports for extra strength.
goffoz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:

Why not just do this.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1525488
He's got the van ..you can get the latch bolts too
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't need the raised engine lid, then the z-bed is a good way to go. I would probably want the raised bed anyway for the added storage but the z-bed would be easier. If the raised engine lid is necessary, the hinges that raise the bed would definitely be my choice.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: