Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Questions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyak107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Vanagon Questions Reply with quote

I'm planning to go look at a 1985 Vanagon GL, the seller is asking $2,500 for it. The price seems right, but to be honest I'm not at all familiar with Vanagons. All I know is that I've always wanted one Very Happy . It has just under 120k miles, and looks to be in okay shape, it has a few scratches and minor dents.

I' more concerned with the mechanicals, the owner said that it overheated, after which he replaced the water pump, some coolant hoses, etc.. He said that it does run well.

Should I be worried that it overheated at some point? I know that it's not necessarily a death sentence, but you guys know the motor in the Vanagons a heck of a lot better than I do.

Anything else I should watch out for? Also, does the asking price seem right?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Price sounds good.

Overheating can mean different things: Did the thermostat just read high for a short period, or did all of the wires melt off the engine?

At 120k, who knows how the engine is doing. Is it 1.9 or 2.1?

If you've done your reading here, you know to watch out for fuel lines, seam rust, bad first gear, etc.

A compression test would be nice.

If you do purchase it, keep in mind the parts are expensive, etc, and vanagons can become very expensive to keep running.

Good luck
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hyak107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. He said it's the original motor so it should be a 1.9L. I see what you mean about parts being more expensive, I just did a check and the cost for things like a water pump, starter, etc., look to be double that of the vehicle I'm replacing ('87 4Runner).

I'm torn between a Vanagon and older air-cooled bus. I love the simplicity of my beetle, but those old buses are pricey.

I was stationed in Germany from 1988 to 1991, at the time the Army used T3's. A T3 was the first military vehicle I rode in after basic training. It's kind of silly, but I've always wanted one.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock is best, look for things that may have been changed or juryrigged. Look for signs of coolant seepage where the heads attach to the block. On most of these at 120K the waterbox (head) gaskets have already been done so you may be good here. If it really did overheat to the point of damaging rubber pieces and/or the metal of the engine such as the rings then if the engine isn't making noise any damage might show up as low compression in one or more cylinders.

You might spring for an oil change and use 5w30 oil. If it will not make normal oil pressure on 5w30 at normal operating temps then the bearings are getting loose.

If you do buy it and ever have a reason to do the engine, consider sending the tranny (assuming it is a manual) in to a rebuilder and having the 3-4 slider replaced proactively.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this video before you buy. It's a must see classic Laughing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snckhUVo8XU

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
hyak107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
Check out this video before you buy. It's a must see classic Laughing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snckhUVo8XU

That video is hilarious. My nephew wants a Beetle but doesn't realize how much work it's going to be. I bought him a '69 for $300 and it needs A LOT of work. I figured it would be a good way for him to learn, and if he gives up on it I'll just keep it as a project.

I didn't realize that you have to drop the engine with a Vanagon to do maintenance work. It's not that big of a deal, but is definitely good to know.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hyak107 wrote:

I didn't realize that you have to drop the engine with a Vanagon to do maintenance work. It's not that big of a deal, but is definitely good to know.

You don't have to pull it to very often, pretty much only for serious engine work same as most any other vehicle on the road. I have had my POS 83 1/2 for 7'ish years now and the engine just hit the ground for the first time last summer.

On a Type 1 you have to pull the engine more often but still not all anywhere near as much as implied by the video. My Type 4 powered Bay once made it 14 years between engine pulls and six years another time.
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You might spring for an oil change and use 5w30 oil. If it will not make normal oil pressure on 5w30 at normal operating temps then the bearings are getting loose.

That'll cull the herd!

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hyak107 wrote:
Thanks for the response. He said it's the original motor so it should be a 1.9L. I see what you mean about parts being more expensive, I just did a check and the cost for things like a water pump, starter, etc., look to be double that of the vehicle I'm replacing ('87 4Runner).

I'm torn between a Vanagon and older air-cooled bus. I love the simplicity of my beetle, but those old buses are pricey.

I was stationed in Germany from 1988 to 1991, at the time the Army used T3's. A T3 was the first military vehicle I rode in after basic training. It's kind of silly, but I've always wanted one.

Just a tip.. Check gowestyautoparts.com for stuff like water pumps and so on. That kinda stuff is usually cheaper there than anywhere. Cheaper than their dedicated vanagon shop.

Don't be too scared of the repairs. Even if you aren't a master mechanic before you buy your "bus" (lol) you will be one afterwards. As long as you aren't afraid to get your hands dirty you will figure stuff out.

Just understand that it's a old 80s van and cars built in the 80s weren't built like cars in the 50s.. 1980s German engineering will frustrate the hell out of you, when you find things like starters with bolts that don't leave enough clearance to get a wrench on...

As for dropping the engine, well I've done that once so far and it's still out.. Laughing
hyak107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went and looked at the Vanagon today. It has a few small dents here and there and the interior is a bit worn. The engine looked okay, no signs of coolant near the heads or anywhere else. The passenger-side valve cover leaked. All the CV boots were torn and the muffler had some small rust holes.

The owner was pretty cool and he was honest about the things he knew were wrong. I told him what I found and decided to pass on it. He called me after I left and asked out of curiosity what I would offer for it; I said $1500. He said that he'd take that, but I had to tell him I'd think about it. I need to work out the cost of the things I know need to be done and see if it's worth it.

The search continues....
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have any rust? I'm not a fan of rust and read a lot that it's more expensive and hard to fix. Was told to pick mine first for body, second for interior last for mechanical, if that's any help.

If he dropped the price that much that fast, kind of sounds like he is either desperate to sell it or liked your attitude and/or desire to fix up his old baby.

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: