Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket Charger wiring for '64 Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fivestander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Aftermarket Charger wiring for '64 Beetle Reply with quote

I am far from an electrician and have reached my limit as far as diagnosis goes. I have a two USB port/1 "normal" port charger for my beetle. Mounted in the glovebox securely and wires snaked through to the fuse box.

My question is this: is there a way to connect the one power wire from the charger to the fuse block or switch in a way that will kill power to the charger when the car is off and also protect itself (with fuse I mean). I've hooked it to a few different spade connectors in the fuse block and either they don't work at all when the ignition is on or they work when the ignition is off, thereby draining the battery which I don't want to do. If I can avoid splicing a separate switch between the charger and the fuse I would like to do so, and hopefully use a stock switch/fuse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Ted Junior
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Charger wiring for '64 Beetle Reply with quote

Fivestander wrote:
My question is this: is there a way to connect the one power wire from the charger to the fuse block or switch in a way that will kill power to the charger when the car is off and also protect itself (with fuse I mean).

Yes. If your 1964 is 12 volt.

See the diagram below: in the diagram, connect to the top (protected side) of the left-most fuse. Personally, I'd run an in-line fuse in the wire, but would be protected by the fuse in that position, and only be energized when the key/ignition switch is in the "run" position.

Note that the wire back to the coil comes off the un-fused side of this position, why some of us have added an in-line fuse for that.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Fivestander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Charger wiring for '64 Beetle Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick reply, Cusser.

Yes my '64 is a 12v conversion.
I will likely put a line-in fuse for the charger. I actually tried to hook it up to the left most fuse and it is constantly energized, even when the key is off. I can't view the diagram you're speaking to though 😕

Here is a photo of the fuse box and the associated wires. The green wire is the one going to the charger. The light blue is the power wire to the radio (hot wired so it doesn't need the key to be on to operate). The other red wire goes to the key switch. Not sure what it's for.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Charger wiring for '64 Beetle Reply with quote

Use your test light or DC voltmeter at the fuses, there should be some that are only "hot" when the key is switched on. Then determine which side of that fuse position is the protected side by removing the fuse; the side that THEN is not "hot" is the fuse-protected side.

I think your wiring needs to be gone through; something should be connected to the second terminal from the left.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Fivestander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Charger wiring for '64 Beetle Reply with quote

Cusser,

Many thanks!! I was able to "plug and play"! The charger works, the radio works, everything seems to function as it should. The only thing is that there is occasionally some static through the radio when my phone is plugged into the charger, the signal gets weak and then it's just static. I unplug the cord from the charger and the static goes away. I wrapped the antenna wire of the radio in some aluminum foil and that seemed to fix the problem, that, and pulling the car out of the garage 😂

Thank you very much again for the help!

Ted Junior

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: