Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Carb 28 pict
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ladybug111387
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: 1965 Carb 28 pict Reply with quote

I've had my Bug for several years and we're slowly trying to get it running better. We've run into a hitch with the carburetor. We don't know anything about rebuilding one. Is there a go to for rebuilding a 28 pict? Are the 6v and 12v interchangeable? Is there a place I can send it to to get rebuilt or do we need to do it ourselves? Any information is appreciated!
flyboy161
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Carb 28 pict Reply with quote

Try this booklet
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/looklisten_11.php

The 1964...Diamond in the rough
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=612776

My 1958 Morocco Bug-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611483
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Carb 28 pict Reply with quote

is your bug 6 or 12 volt? and what engine do you have in it? what distributor are you using?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Carb 28 pict Reply with quote

This thread has some links
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495612

Quote:
Depending on the carb you have, these might help.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/carb_sheets/premiumquality_rebuild_instructions.jpg

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/carb_sheets/premiumquality_rebuild_diagram.jpg

http://www.vw-resource.com/carb_41.html

6 volt and 12 volt don't really matter but you need the choke and electromagnetic shutoff valve, if it has one, to match the voltage of your car.

If you have a 28 PICT and not a 28 PICT-1, it is most likely 6 volt because they don't have 12v chokes for the 28 PICT - the choke area is smaller.

28 PICT choke side view
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Carb. sheet

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Carb 28 pict Reply with quote

Ladybug111387 wrote:
I've had my Bug for several years and we're slowly trying to get it running better. We've run into a hitch with the carburetor. We don't know anything about rebuilding one. Is there a go to for rebuilding a 28 pict? Are the 6v and 12v interchangeable? Is there a place I can send it to to get rebuilt or do we need to do it ourselves? Any information is appreciated!

Rebuilding the carb is actually fairly easy and instructions are included in the rebuild kit. Two things to consider though. One is that the needle valve that comes with the rebuild kits isn't the greatest and can fail out of the box/kit. So you have to do some fiddling to make sure its working. Second is that if the carb has an issue with the throttle bushing, no rebuild kit is going to really help it much.

If your bushing is ok, rebuild kits are $20-25. But you also need to buy a gallon of carb cleaner, spray carb cleaner and have a compressor to blow everything out. Also helps to have a set of digital calipers to ensure you are replacing the spacers and washers correctly.

If you have slop in your bushing, you will get a vacuum leak leading to a poor running car. Tim at Volkzbitz rebuilds VW carbs and does a great job. He can rebush and rebuild it and it comes back looking spiffy and new. Do not be tempted to buy a Chinese replacement carb as they have an awful reputation for truly sucking.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine

Last edited by Sharp64 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
bluebug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Carb 28 pict Reply with quote

http://www.volkzbitz.com/home.html

Expert Solex carb rebuilder.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Carb 28 pict Reply with quote

See this http://1967beetle.com/carburetor-rebuild/

See this www.vw-resource.com/carb_41.html
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Carb 28 pict Reply with quote

Just a few notes:
1) Good carb cleaner destroys plastic and rubber, so remove all such parts first. It will slowly dissolve your plastic toothbrush or other cleaning brush.
2) Use alternating spray carb cleaner and compressed air.
3) With carb cleaner in the passaged, shake the carb up and down to make sure any ball check valves are operating freely.
4) As posted, new float valves are usually junk. Carefully clean and re-use yours, if it can be made to work.
5) When you assemble the accel pump, fit the diaphragm, then fit the cover loosely. Then open the throttle all the way (which actuates the pump fully), and while holding it there, tighten the four screws of the pump cover. This will prevent stretching/tearing of the diaphragm.
carcrazed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Carb 28 pict Reply with quote

Try going to your local auto parts store and buying a gallon of Chem Dip. It is less harmful than carburetor cleaner and you can dip your parts overnight into the gallon can. It really cleans everything well.

"Just When you think you are getting ahead, you're always wrong."
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Carb 28 pict Reply with quote

carcrazed wrote:
Try going to your local auto parts store and buying a gallon of Chem Dip. It is less harmful than carburetor cleaner and you can dip your parts overnight into the gallon can. It really cleans everything well.

X2, good stuff if you can still get it. Some states are getting picky...

It won't get through the ports as well as spray carb cleaner, but it will take off the varnish better. It also destroys rubber and plastic, so disassemble completely and exclude those parts (like the float valve and diaphragms). Doesn't do your skin any good, either...

After the soak and brush treatment, go after the ports with air and spray cleaner.

Shake and let dry, then shake again to be sure the balls are there and free.

Of course, the choke element does not go into anything wet.

Do not tighten the idle mixture screw. You can ruin the needle and also the carb body if you force it.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Carb 28 pict Reply with quote

One little thing I'll point out is that, to me at least, what you are doing is just cleaning the carb and putting what gaskets you might need (and as others have mentioned, quality on the "rebuild" kits has gone to crap in recent years. I'll also reuse the paper gasket if it's in decent shape. About the only parts I use on a 28PICT is the accel pump diaphragm and perhaps the idle mixture tapered screw if it looks better than the one you got)

It was mentioned above, but you should check this:

What I would consider really rebuilding the carb, I would include the throttle shaft bushings, and the parts and tools to do that are NOT in those kits... ( what this means, is having the throttle shaft removed, the carb body drilled out, new bushings pressed in, reamed to fit, and then reassembled.) You can clean the carb all day but if you have worn out throttle shaft bushings the idle won't ever be great.

There's always a chance yours is OK though, but it's pretty common to have sloppy throttle shaft bushings on carbs with lots of service. (I put a lot of miles over the years on 28PICT in my 62, but it had already been rebushed before I got it back circa 1990)

Firmly grab the throttle arm and move it in these general directions... with it close and partly open, if it feels sloppy, then the bushings are worn.

By the way, the top half from a 28PICT-1 fits on the 28PICT bottom just fine, and allows you to use a 12V choke. All those miles I've put on my 62 was with it set up that way.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.

Last edited by glutamodo on Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Carb 28 pict Reply with quote

A drop of oil on all external moving parts is recommended. At each gas fillup, I checked the oil, and I used to use the dipstick drop to touch all the bushings, etc. It gets a little dirty (the oil attracts dirt) but a periodic spray or air blast cleans that off. You don't want gritty dirt to wear it out faster.

Another hint... when you reinstall the accel pump spray pipe, aim the spray so it does not hit either the brass throttle plate or the carb body... you are aiming for a clean jet past both without touching either of them. This gives the best accel enrichment. Make sire it is fitting tightly... they have a nasty habit of coming loose and getting sucked into t combustion chamber.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: