Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Black Fastback Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 207, 208, 209 ... 214, 215, 216  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll have to admit, it really bent my brain the whole 'awards' thing..

Here i was standing around sweating balls in the 100+ degree heat,
listening for my name that never came.
100% honestly, i thought they had like a 'best in show' award they were going to give out at the end or something..

Totally blew me away..
Now,
We know everyone likes the smell of their own farts and all,
But i checked out the other cars there.

It wasn't a type 3 thing.
Heard them announce a winner with a '69 Fastback.
Didn't remember seeing a really nice '69 Fastback.. Think
As i was packing up the guy came and talked to me.
His was a pretty nice car on top, an automatic in what looked like desert beige and cut/buffed straight.
Was actually right behind mine; hadn't given it a second glance.
It was compete on the exterior, and had all the new seals and trim and whatnot; the ISP re-pop stuff.
Stuff was installed nice and straight and smooth.
Reason i didn't spot it as a '69 was because it had wrap-around markers and low-back seats.
Inside of the rear trunk didn't have any liner or carpet, just bare metal with leftover glue and fuzz.
Motor hatch wasn't open. TMI interior.
Had one of those re-pop late dash pads that doesn't fit.
4-lug re-pop speedlines..

The guy was pretty nice about it. Maybe he was gloating, but i couldn't tell.
Hs friend gave me a beer.
It's all good.
Not that he ever said it, but i can't help but think somewhere deep inside the guy had to know my car was nicer than his.
Maybe not..
Maybe it's not about the amount of effort involved, but if your car has the right style..?
German Look is pretty 2003 after all.

The car was very low, and he said he had airbags.
That's a pretty big deal, really.
Guess that nowadays, having the whole car clean isn't as important as it was to us old guys from '89.

But, yeah, the white boys from Santa Cruz got home-towned.
The show judges were able to give their club friends their trophies,
And if they believe they really won, good for them.
Certain people, if they can get theirs, they take it;
Doesn't matter how they came into it.
"Better low than clean" Question

If they don't want any clean cars there, that's fine.
I sure won't be bringing mine again.
They can just have low ones instead.

Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Loren wrote:
It looks fantastic!!! Worth the drive to Sacrament just to see it. Thanks for all the hard work to keep us entertained.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wish i woulda seen you there..!

Was probably running to get food or trying to find something i lost or tending to a kid or..?

FWIW,
That Beetle in the background was an unrestored survivor car.
It was originally brown, and was still brown inside,
But had some kind of flat over-spray quickie blue paint job..

Had three plaques from winning at past Bug-O-Ramas displayed on the hood.
Razz

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Not a type three guy yet, but your quest for perfection shows everywhere.
Never been to a show , nothing here in vt. But i hooe you had a good day with your car and your family.

Ps you look alot like my buddy Jamie who passed a couple years ago, do you play banjo?

I have the look that says.. "I play the banjo"! Laughing Laughing

Seriously, though,
Thanks for following the thread and posting up.
Means a lot to a guy, even more if you're not a type 3 nerd..

What’s That Noise?!?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
You probably didn't win because you were parked in the prime parking space and pissed someone off.

Now that you mention it, you're probably on to something here... Think

The host club was all in charge of deciding who gets parked where.
Unlike other shows where they park the cars by category - buses with buses, Ghias with Ghias;
This show was parked by club.
Had never seen so many matching jackets..

Some totally-unknown guys just run right up the middle,
Parking front/center in the middle of the night?
Then put their car on stands before the sun is even up?

Yeah,
Thinking about it more..
Guess we had ours coming.
Laughing Laughing

What’s That Noise?!?
twinfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Good Fun it was!

“He that goeth to bedde wyth Dogges, aryseth with fleas.”

"The Blue Submarine"
1977 Campmobile, Type 4 2.0 liter Federal, Non-Catalyst, Fuel Injected with Valvetrain from the type4store, 411 Heat Exchanger Preheaters, S&S Header, Supertrapp Silencer. ...and a lot of help from Clatter and TCash and friends!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

display counts for a big portion of the points. you for sure got dinged for the bungee cord door stop. when i show, i have bars fabbed up to use the striker and the door latch.

mirrors, carpet, display board etc...all points.

another tip.... find what they judge on. display, tools, fire safety/ first aid etc etc. all of that can no joke be 50% of your score.

I had powder-coated black jack stands already.. Razz

So my kid was starting to try and pry the frames off of those closet mirrors.
The wife said she can find me a bigger-sized carpet in a more matching color.
Already started a proper prop-rod for the door but ran out of time.
One thing i really really wanted was a sign board thanking everyone who contributed to the project.
Certainly have plenty of build pics to make up a little book..

But then i thought.. WTF!?!?!
What's next? One of those time-out dolls fretting on a bumper??
Hello! I think you'll find a LIFE on aisle seven, 'bout half-way down on the left.. Rolling Eyes

Have to get some pics for posterity,
And them we're going to actually DRIVE the thing.
It's going to get torn UP!! Twisted Evil
As you know, getting things sorted so they actually work correctly is a game in itself.

One of the things that was pathetic ( actually perfect? Think ) about my show adventure was that if the trailer broke or something,
The alignment was so bad and a tire so low that i wouldn't trust the car to drive home. Embarassed

Did the 'swap space' thing once; basically just gave everything away and didn't make any money.
Entered a car show and didn't make top 25.
Only thing left is to enter the drags, and either break or get eliminated in the first round.
Then my VW life can be complete!
Very Happy

What’s That Noise?!?
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Well Steve you won, they just couldn't find your name on the ballet.
I stopped showing at shows, mostly the same crap as everyone here stated. Watched a punk ass take my best type 3 award, because some "judge" thought his car was cooler. Karma is a fickle pal, same clown and " judge" buddy showed up at another event on a tow truck. Ran a red light, oops.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Critter1 wrote:
Steve’s Fastback showed very well! Was great to finally see it in person.

Thanks for the props and the shirt Justin.
Much appreciated.

What’s That Noise?!?
owen brown Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Well done! In my near expert opinion, you definitely won best type 3, best engineered, and a side of uber-cool factor. I had a great time meeting you and enjoyed your introductions to some of the cohorts that had a hand in making it all possible. I saw the aforementioned auto FB. It did have air-ride and looked ok. I'm not meaning to be disrespectful to it since we all know it took a lot to get it to that condition. Yours was straighter and impressed me so much I didn't even talk to the other owner- let the german look live forever. And, really, you are going to have the last laugh. Remember what we discussed! It's going to happen!!! Looking forward to getting together soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

owen brown wrote:
Well done! In my near expert opinion, you definitely won best type 3, best engineered, and a side of uber-cool factor. I had a great time meeting you and enjoyed your introductions to some of the cohorts that had a hand in making it all possible. I saw the aforementioned auto FB. It did have air-ride and looked ok. I'm not meaning to be disrespectful to it since we all know it took a lot to get it to that condition. Yours was straighter and impressed me so much I didn't even talk to the other owner- let the german look live forever. And, really, you are going to have the last laugh. Remember what we discussed! It's going to happen!!! Looking forward to getting together soon.

Steve, you won! owen brown used his 6th post since 2006 to complement you and me thinks he knows his stuff. I know you don’t care about trophies. But seeing how show car whores lay down for the “Club bros” and parking in the rear Wink Makes me never want to show a car ever. I’ll just show them my junk Shocked

I always thought Bug O Rama was judged by people in the profession. Like, unbiased. The fact some rattle can tart next to you has three top 25 plaques makes me hate car shows. I do like swap meets, racing, and socializing.

Going to the 35th annual Northwest Bug Run this weekend. Sadly it’s supposed to be the last one

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

While I'll admit I havent been to a Bugorama since I moved 10 years ago (11?) I don't recall it being a judged show since the late 90's early 2000's. I have been a judge (pre57 bug and type 3) at a big Texas show and it is not easy, especially when there isn't class parking like we did... I remember in particular someone getting upset because he had a split window and everyone was drooling over it all day. but I knew it was a ton of incorrect parts. I awarded a nice oval ragtop 1st over the split and people didn't like it but I was correct in my judgment

this is why almost all shows are participant judged now. So of course the guy with the biggest club wins the type 3 class... Not sure who or how this show was judged but obviously it wasn't judged correctly.

the car looks great sir. great job pulling it through to the finish line. I told you that you should have brought Wences for game day detail! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
While I'll admit I havent been to a Bugorama since I moved 10 years ago (11?) I don't recall it being a judged show since the late 90's early 2000's. I have been a judge (pre57 bug and type 3) at a big Texas show and it is not easy, especially when there isn't class parking like we did... I remember in particular someone getting upset because he had a split window and everyone was drooling over it all day. but I knew it was a ton of incorrect parts. I awarded a nice oval ragtop 1st over the split and people didn't like it but I was correct in my judgment

this is why almost all shows are participant judged now. So of course the guy with the biggest club wins the type 3 class... Not sure who or how this show was judged but obviously it wasn't judged correctly.

the car looks great sir. great job pulling it through to the finish line. I told you that you should have brought Wences for game day detail! Laughing

Without going off topic, this is why the Classic was so awesome. Separate custom/stock classes and all cars were separated by type. When the show owners decided to allow club parking it changed. I am a loner so don’t really care for clubs.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
owen brown wrote:

Steve, you won! owen brown used his 6th post since 2006 to complement you and me thinks he knows his stuff. I know you don’t care about trophies. But seeing how show car whores lay down for the “Club bros” and parking in the rear Wink Makes me never want to show a car ever. I’ll just show them my junk Shocked

I always thought Bug O Rama was judged by people in the profession. Like, unbiased. The fact some rattle can tart next to you has three top 25 plaques makes me hate car shows. I do like swap meets, racing, and socializing.

Going to the 35th annual Northwest Bug Run this weekend. Sadly it’s supposed to be the last one

Thanks Xev.. Love you, man.. *sniff*.

Judging for sure wasn't what it used to be.
But,
The court of public opinion was still in session,
And your vignette was a hit.

One of the things that anyone, even non-car people, could appreciate was the color you picked for the wheels and Motor.
The sun was on the motor all morning and the wheels all day, so the red popped, and didn't just look black like it does in the shade.

Certain hard-core car people would give positive comment looking underneath at the detail,
But others, especially females - who, let's all admit, usually have a better eye for these things - gave an equal amount of praise for the colors.
I'd say the number of comments for the clean underneath and the color combo were about the same.
Certainly far more than the number who picked up that it was a Porsche 5-speed under there..

A few people got excited about the red.. Like really excited.
Because i don't see colors that well,
That was a real 'eye-opener'.. Laughing

I'm already 100% over the whole 'award' thing.
The way some people got excited over all of our hard work was priceless.
I'm the same way.. When i see something i dig,
I'll sit and geek out on it for a long time.
A few came by and did that, and it made the whole thing worth it.

If we can end up in the magazine, then even more so.. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Dude....
While I do enjoy the car community ... I got turned off by clubs and shows years ago. it was always the atmosphere of "why havent you maxed out your credit card to get your car done?" and seen personally , wow nice car, but we like joe's clapped out death trap over here cause joe is my home dog.
You're car is perfect... it has all the mods I want, and all the spit and polish i dont have the dedication to put in Laughing . you should be proud of your car.. you just gave a huge chunk of your life to this project and what do you have to show for it? a car that is f^%^ing tits!! those guys are too busy ... well i'll cut myself off right there , im going into sailor mouth mode, pissed off for ya.

say it with me now... F%$# those car club tw@ts!

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

In the end,
What we all know,
Is that the hobby is on the decline,
And the whole 'car' thing is waning.
Kids are on computers, and doing other things.
That's life, it's the natural order of things, and it's all good.

Was talking to a good friend who is an active Mason.
Back in the old days, the Moose, Odd Fellows, Elks, etc.
Those were the popular/common things to do, with large numbers of young people involved.
As cars and TV/movies became mainstream, young people were given other options,
And the result was inevitable.

With shows,
There aren't enough cars to have a stock and modified class for the different types anymore.
There aren't even real show cars anymore.
Used to be cars like Rodbuster and Shockwave - full show cars.
Now, a half-decent restored car 'slammed on earlies' is considered a show car.
Back in the day, the cars in the parking lot were better than the cars in the show today.
The parking lot used to be full of aircooled VWs!
Now, it's all full of Hondas and Toyotas and whatnot,
And the show is the parking lot. Laughing

It's sad, but it's life..

Was really glad to see a decent turnout at the 45th Bug-O-Rama,
And debut my "show car" there.

Even if the world isn't compatible with these things any longer..
Laughing Laughing

What’s That Noise?!?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

But then i thought.. WTF!?!?!
What's next? One of those time-out dolls fretting on a bumper??
Hello! I think you'll find a LIFE on aisle seven, 'bout half-way down on the left.. Rolling Eyes

believe it or not... yea Laughing

totally sucks but you're car should have cleaned the fuck up at that show. the problem is finding unbiased/impartial judges at these events. i can hate a color, but if it was done better than a stock color, it wins based on craftsmanship...

if it makes you feel better i can carve you a trophy out of spray foam and bondo Laughing

seriously, we all know what your car is. you could have lost just based on jealousy from any judge that watched the build. welcome to the fine world of judging. you could have had a stripper handing out 100 dollar bills and hand jobs and still lost. it's hard to find a professional judge in these shows....btdt

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

I didn't see any other show cars there except yours. Guess I had blinders on Laughing
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

dude, welcome to the fucked up world of show cars.

display counts for a big portion of the points. you for sure got dinged for the bungee cord door stop. when i show, i have bars fabbed up to use the striker and the door latch.

mirrors, carpet, display board etc...all points.

anyway after years of dealing with "show" politics i said fuck it, not worth the time and effort for a fucking 7.00 trophy.

last straw for me was when my jetta was beat by some ugly ass golf with marvin martian airbrushed on the side of it and the engine bay literally sprayed with bumper chrome paint.

when i did the subaru bus....a bus you can see your fucking retinas in the frame rails i literally rolled up and opened the engine bay and went off to the swap all day. left cigarette ashes on the floor and a sweaty cup of ice coffee.

took first place Shocked

bottom line, and was told to me by a judge.... if you aren't a "club car" good luck winning.

another tip.... find what they judge on. display, tools, fire safety/ first aid etc etc. all of that can no joke be 50% of your score. don't let it discourage you but showing in my experience is kind of a waste of time.

at one show i went to i heard the promoter bitch about nicer cars being in spectator parking than in the show. i told the guy stop catering to club assholes with junk, people are sick of being beat by some shitbox with pock marked trim and roofing tar wheel wells.

sorry your debut went this way. your car is probably the most well sorted one in the show.

oh, another thing i was told by a "judge".....i took 3rd in my class because he "didn't like blue" i told him it's the original fucking color..... so yea....welcome to the fucked up world of show cars....

I have to agree with Skills on this. I think I've even been to a couple of them (in a t-3). I can't tell you how many times I went to the MI Vintage VW show, only to find myself parked next to the new cars at VW headquarters (more than once) because the MI VW club didn't allow enough space for other models. In fact the plaque I won for my wife's Fastback was the day a buddy of mine went with me, and I parked in the show lot nearest the swap meet to hunt up some bits for her car and my Square. We left early to go drink some beer and go fishing (never did get the boat out).
At another "show" I went to, I took my old 70 Square and got 2nd with it (only 2 cars in that class). It was my daily at the time, and I think I vacuumed out the inside of it and got rid of the industrial trash before the show. I mainly went to support another friend who was doing his first show in his just finished 70 Dodge Challenger R/T 440-6 pack. I think he came in 3rd in class, because of some "non stock" items (electric fuel pump, NOS bottle, and stuff like that). Another show I attended they put us (me and the wife and kids, and my buddy with his car) way down in back, and I don't remember even seeing a judge walk by. I did hang out BSing with a Subaru guy that was stuck down there with us for part of the day. It's those kind of experiences that are why I don't attend car shows any more. You kill yourself trying to get it looking perfect, and nobody gives a damn but you. Now I just build drivers, and put miles on them. At least I know what I did, versus what I bought.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:
owen brown wrote:

Steve, you won! owen brown used his 6th post since 2006 to complement you and me thinks he knows his stuff. I know you don’t care about trophies. But seeing how show car whores lay down for the “Club bros” and parking in the rear Wink Makes me never want to show a car ever. I’ll just show them my junk Laughing

Fixed it for you. Laughing
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
nogoodwithusernames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Black Fastback Build Thread Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
nogoodwithusernames wrote:
See ya tomorrow Steve, keep an eye out for a beat up blue Squareback in the show. At least it's clean though... Laughing Spent yesterday cleaning it up so it doesn't look too outta place, but better than waking out from the main lot Cool

Dag, Derek,
You were there -right- as the guy from HotVWs is giving me details on what makes a good cover shot.. Wink

Sucks that, just when i get a chance to meet you face-to-face,
Just when i get to see your MS build i been drooling on over on the STF,
Here it's right as I'm getting the skinny i was looking for..
Then you were gone and i wanted to track you down.
Hope you didn't feel like i snubbed you.

Aigh! Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

I really, really wanted to see your setup my man!
Really want to do some bench racing..
Coulda learned SO much from you.!!

Here's the biggest issue i had with doing the show thing..
It's that the show ends up being what you do at the event.
It unfortunately, becomes all about my car,
When it's really all about the people, and their cars, dig?

If that makes any sense..

Hey now don't be lying to me Steve, ain't nobody been drooling over my little 1.7 "stock look" MS build Laughing

It's all good, seemed like I caught ya at a bad time. Hopefully next time around we can hangout and BS for a while.
We took off fairly early in the afternoon, tried to get outta there before it got crazy hot.

If it makes ya feel any better I was parked out in the dirt lot cause the show was full, kinda pissed me off to see all the water pumpers in the show taking up space the "real" VW's coulda been in, but it is what it is.

Car looked absolutely fantastic, dragged the wife by it a few times to check it out again. That engine bay was CLEAN, making me want to go over mine again and repaint all the tins and such.
I've just gotta quit driving it long enough to actually do some work. Transmission is in need of a rebuild but I hate to spend $300 in shipping for a $500 stock rebuild... Was hoping to pick one up at the swap but no luck.

Anyways good to meet ya real quick Steve, get out and spend some time with the family so they'll let you come back up in September.

-Derek
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 207, 208, 209 ... 214, 215, 216  Next
Jump to:
Page 208 of 216

Jump to: