Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic transmission to final drive seals
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
freshintulsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Automatic transmission to final drive seals Reply with quote

So I know to replace the two differential seals that go back to back, the paper gasket between the final drive and the transmission, and the o-ring between the cases. Is the paper gasket behind the separation plate supposed to be replace also? Or is just the one between the plate and final drive / oring good enough?

Thanks a lot!

85 westy svx
Fresh front end rebuild
Front cab changed from brown to black with new homemade door panels, etc.
Soon to remove fridge/sink/cabinet and make custom bench seat!!!

89 wolfsburg/ bluestar.... finished the stick to automatic conversion,
tiico motor
Daily driver, 20mpgs and has enough hair in it to make a few dogs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you trying to accomplish? There is a pinion seal buried deep it the final, the governor shaft seal, and the torque converter seal that need replacing about as often as the other seals you mention.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings makes a good point..while you are there..just bit the bullet and get any vulnerable seals done.

And yes the paper gasket too..when they fail (from age, the paper will give away) it causes problems like the back-to-back seals failing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
freshintulsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone happen to have part numbers for the seals you just mentioned?

Also, the paper gasket you said to replace, I know to replace the one between the separation plate and the final drive. Do I need to remove the separation plate and change the paper gasket between the plate and the transmission?

Thanks a lot

85 westy svx
Fresh front end rebuild

tiico motor
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freshintulsa wrote:
Anyone happen to have part numbers for the seals you just mentioned?

Also, the paper gasket you said to replace, I know to replace the one between the separation plate and the final drive. Do I need to remove the separation plate and change the paper gasket between the plate and the transmission?

Thanks a lot

Yes..do them both. Gasket and seal kit is about $41

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/VW_010_overhaul_kit_1975_91_p/710-000071022.htm
freshintulsa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey AtlasShrugged... sorry to ask more questions, but you seem to know. That link to the seal kit you posted from transmissionpartsusa.com only lists the 010,087, and 089 transmissions. Isn't the vanagon auto an 090? Is it close enough to match?
Also, does this kit include all the required seals/gaskets including the paper gaskets and oring for mating the two halves together? As well as the back to back seals for the auto-final drive? So would I just need the torque convertor seals as well right? That kit would include all the other seals? I called german transaxle and they said I needed a tranny seal kit for $65 and a final drive kit for $65. That seems a lot more than that kit from transmissionpartsusa.com.

I'd rather order once and have everything I need and be done with it.

thanks again!!!

85 westy svx
Fresh front end rebuild

tiico motor
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gasket set is a gasket set and nothing more in my experience. It may not even have the o-ring for the tranny to final mating. I haven't bought kits from GTA but I would bet that what they tell you has a high chance of being correct.
AtlasShrugged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

freshintulsa wrote:
Hey AtlasShrugged... sorry to ask more questions, but you seem to know. That link to the seal kit you posted from transmissionpartsusa.com only lists the 010,087, and 089 transmissions. Isn't the vanagon auto an 090? Is it close enough to match?
Also, does this kit include all the required seals/gaskets including the paper gaskets and oring for mating the two halves together? As well as the back to back seals for the auto-final drive? So would I just need the torque convertor seals as well right? That kit would include all the other seals? I called german transaxle and they said I needed a tranny seal kit for $65 and a final drive kit for $65. That seems a lot more than that kit from transmissionpartsusa.com.

I'd rather order once and have everything I need and be done with it.

thanks again!!!

The 010 transmission is the universal VW/Audi 3 speed automatic and is OK for the Vanagon.

I can't speak to the gasket set..I have used the $75 Banner kit and it had all the gaskets and seals for the transmission and Diff. I would suggest calling and ask if the $41 gasket set has the Diff "O" ring, seals and pan gasket. The Banner kit did have it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: