Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first 2332 build. HELP!
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each his own, Right?

He's a business man. He'll sell you what you want, grumbling all the way. lol

He's been a tremendous help to us all
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I love ACN's site it has been a huge help and so has John but I'm not sure he will sell me any parts if I don't use the short rods! Lol!
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're better off buying the heads and intakes from the same supplier. You know they're made to work together that way. Get the carbs and linkages separate. If you go with the CB heads and intake, they can help with the carbs and linkages too I suppose. I like Aircooled.net for a lot of my parts as well. John is very good with carbs, jetting setup etc.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So would I be better off buying carbs seperate and the bigger intakes and linkage etc. or a carb kit? I assume the intakes with a kit would have to be welded and match ported?
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bolt on. But if you want the same heads as I have, you need they're big beef intakes to go with them. They too are cnc port matched. Otherwise you'll have to have a regular set of intake ports welded up and port matched. PITA
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the cnc ported heads bolt on or should they be cleaned up or polished or otherwise prepped before installation?
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

db69 wrote:
Yes balancing and mock ups for clearance an Comp. Height are definitely in the plan. Now that we got the rod issue out of the way how do those heads compare to 42 intake heads (performance vs longevity comparison )?

I haven't used those heads so I can't comment. But the smaller the port the faster the air flow and that is key. The valves are plenty big for good power as long as airflow is fast.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes balancing and mock ups for clearance an Comp. Height are definitely in the plan. Now that we got the rod issue out of the way how do those heads compare to 42 intake heads (performance vs longevity comparison )?
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

db69 wrote:
mark tucker wrote:
ease of assy.....hmm either way you will have to figure deck&shim for it.unless you happon uppon some majick parts that do it by them selves. theo says a .040" shim shouls do it with 5.4 rods. add .100 for a 5.5,add another .100 for a 5.6....but is theo building your motor?
so i think it has been said the short rod will take some extra clearancing on the pistons...the 5.5 dosent....isant that easyer???

I think I missed something. 5.325 rods= clearancing skirts
5.5 rods = exhaust and tin fitment issues so would 5.4 rods clear the skirts and create less tin and exhaust fit issues?

In a nut shell, yes. My engine is 5.4 rods with a 82mm crank. I have no issues. the tin requires a few spacers but essentially, no big deal.
If the shorter rod requires skirt clearancing, its easy to do. With this type of engine, you should build it and disassemble it, get the rotating assembly balanced and then reassemble. if you don't you'll regret it. So, there should be a few mock up builds to insure proper clearance and proper balance.

My engine with 5.4 rods on 82mm crank and 86B cam is turning 7500 rpm with a 3.67 final drive and big rear tires. If I put my smaller tires on, it'll turn 7900 rpm. The ability to do this is in the heads and the cam my heads are CB ultra mag plus with CB 650 springs. Those springs are essential. The springs that come with those heads from CB only go 7250 before floating.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So about all the discussion on rod length. Here are my thoughts. The shorter the rod the quicker it will turn up. It'll have better throttle response. the down side is side loading. the rod is at a bit more angle when the piston is about to come back up. this creates side load. Is that a problem. Well, usually not unless it is ridiculous side angle. It just means your engine life may be less than otherwise. But its a performance engine anyway. It's not going to go 100,000 miles with extreme side load and high compression and big cubes. Why? the main reason is you wont be able to keep your foot out of it Very Happy If longevity was important, go with a longer rod. I like 5.5 with 84 mm stroke. So, set the engine up with a low deck and a large combustion chamber. You'll have to deck the head and then open the chamber up so the compression is where you want it to be. This will give you a long rod for longevity, and small deck height for proper combustions set up. And an engine that won't be too wide. A stock style head cut .120" will net a combustion chamber of 39cc. To get a good deck height, you will want to be in the low 50's at least. There is plenty of material for that. Or you can buy the heads like you want with the chamber like you want from some of the good head machinist.

Long story short, all of the combinations work. Do you want snappy, or do you want longevity. or do you want a narrow engine for your engine bay. Everything is a trade off.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
ease of assy.....hmm either way you will have to figure deck&shim for it.unless you happon uppon some majick parts that do it by them selves. theo says a .040" shim shouls do it with 5.4 rods. add .100 for a 5.5,add another .100 for a 5.6....but is theo building your motor?
so i think it has been said the short rod will take some extra clearancing on the pistons...the 5.5 dosent....isant that easyer???

I think I missed something. 5.325 rods= clearancing skirts
5.5 rods = exhaust and tin fitment issues so would 5.4 rods clear the skirts and create less tin and exhaust fit issues?
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad bug wrote:
This question is for the guys that have used 5.4 inch rods on a 84mm crank. Did the piston exit the bottom of the sleeve on the down stroke.

The rod length will not affect piston exit only the stroke and where the deck height is set. This, you got to have long rods on a stroker street motor is nonsense. Yes a good idea on a 9500 rpm race motor. Too many good oem engine designs with below 1.6 ratio that work just fine. My integra is one of them. Dan
Bad bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question is for the guys that have used 5.4 inch rods on a 84mm crank. Did the piston exit the bottom of the sleeve on the down stroke.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonder why mine fit?oh ya I fitted it....just like everything else...batterys not included and some assy required.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may seem that way until you have to

find out the engine tin no longer fits properly; gaps everywhere
Find out the exhaust doesn't fit any more and must be modified
find out the engine is not wider and is a $)*#)& to fit into the engine bay.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think uhh... Eenie meenie miney moe...I think for me it's going to be 5.4 rods for the best of both worlds. No piston skirt clearance issues and no width issue. And I may be wrong but it seams like there is a lot of hair splitting going on wih the whole rod length discussion here. Correct me if I'm wrong with facts and numbers please failure rate of short vs long rods and torque short vs long. My main priority with the rods is ease of assembly
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no issues with running a 5.4 rod with a 84mm crank with it being a "short Rod". That rod ratio was even used in other engines from Detroit. It generates Torque and as for breaking a good quality rod (not Stock) I call BS. I have built so many race motors using this ratio I have lost count and with absolutley No failures. I have used this ratio in my own motor's for decades and even after pulling them apart 10 years later and many miles of use NO more side wear than any other well designed and built motor. Like they said running Porsche rods with 84mm strokes has been done by me and many many others since the 70's but those rods had to be prepped and at the time were the only rods available. I just tore down a engine using H-Beam rods and Wiseco slipper skirts that was built 15 years ago. It was still running when it was torn down. Guess what? normal wear and this was on a 9:1 motor. Carillo Porsche rod length Berg crank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad bug wrote:
John I know that I have said that 5.4inch rods would allow side loading of the piston with 5.4 and 5.325 inch rods, but will the slipped skirt pistons help greatly to reduce this rocking of the piston in the cylinder.

I have heard that you have a 2332cc engine in your beetle that's street legal and runs 11 seconds all day.

What is the rod ratio on your engine and are you using your c squishies piston.

Slipper skirts have much smaller skirts than regular pistons so there is less support and friction of the piston. No matter what piston you choose a short rod is going to put more side load on the piston.

I fit my old buggy engine in the back of a 62 with little problems, and no problems as far as width except for the right valve cover. It was .240" wider than stock, and was a 2332 with 5.5 rods
db69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

db69 wrote:
Would there be any downside with using 44mm intake heads over the 42's ? Would the engine life decrease? The area between the valves looks pretty small on the 44's! Anybody have any problems out of them?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: