Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

I have been trying to find on the vendor sites the trapezoidal hatch stop for my 86 and 84 vanagon. It has two threaded holes and on the opposite side it is angled (ramped). It is located just left of the catch, bottom center. Mine are worn and there is evidence of the hatch wiggling and rubbing on the interior panels.
I have searched all combinations of the words in this post title so if someone in the future is having this same problem they will find the answer below that was posted by _________ , the Samba member of the hour!
-d
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this it?

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1939_165/metal-rear-hatch-stop-on-hatch.html

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, and not this either.
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_1929_165/rear_hatch_stop.html

It is the black rubber chunk in the center of the picture.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear hatch striker plate is a single unit from VW.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Syncrodoka. I can't seem to find the single part or the whole assembly. As a temp fix, I just put two washers between the mounting plate and the bumper. The flathead screws are not very long but the washers were only 1mm thick so I should still have plenty of thread.

Does anyone have a new one on hand to measure? I'd like to shim it to where it should be.

-d
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what you are shimming. ETKA shows the part number as 251 829 545. If you need to raise the height something else is out of whack.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shimmed the black part to the right. It is rubber wrapped brass or bronze.
The guy who repainted the front (cleaned up some rust and dent from PO) noticed the slop and rubbing on the interior panels where the hatch has been rubbing. My hatch also has a smaller gap on the left than the right. Just trying to snug everything up. 178,000 miles on the body.
-d
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raoul- Sounds to me like you may need to adjust the hatch itself to get your gaps correct before you mess with the latch. I've found alignment on doors to be paramount, and once correct will make latches, seals, etc all work out so much easier.

Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Striker-plate-...140340.htm
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sh-t! There is supposed to be a piece of white plastic on the end of it!?
I should turn this into a poll to see if anyone still has that piece. I'm 0/2 and pretty sure I would have noticed it on the 3 other vans I'm around.

I'm looking at a chunk of Delrin on on my desk right now... 30 euros x2, 82 USD... plus shipping. Hmmm. Might just mill a hacked up POS replacement.

You the man syncrodoka.

-d
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

For vanagon, it's hard to find the "wedge" or the whole thing. I asked busdepot if
http://www.busdepot.com/j19478

would work and they said no, but boy it sure looks like it'll work. Can anyone confirm or deny I wouldn't be able to make it work, maybe with a little creativity? My wedge suddenly crumbled yesterday, looks original.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

D'oh! I have slop in the hatch latch as well, didn't know that there was supposed to be a plastic piece over the rubber. Thanks for the thread resurrection!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

Sorry to bump this, but does anyone know if it'll work for the vanagon rear hatch wedge, maybe even with a little bit of modification? http://www.busdepot.com/j19478
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

I ended up replacing the whole assembly as my pin as loosened up and cause the hatch to rattle so look at that as well and replacement might not be a bad idea.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Carrot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

Mine is broken and I am trying to figure out how to replace it.... there is a captive nut plate inside the frame/body of the van, but it is loose and I cannot reach it from behind. Any tips or how tos?
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

IdahoDoug said there doesn't seem to be access to the other side, so I'm not sure how one is supposed to go about replacing the whole assembly (which is how it's sold for replacement).
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=710825

Maybe several extremely strong magnets?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

Ooh, yeah. Approach this with caution. I did not find a way to access those captive nuts and was stunned I could have dropped them and had to do some serious sheetmetal security - turning a 4 minute latch change into days of body work.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
broncoisl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

jwallis wrote:
Sorry to bump this, but does anyone know if it'll work for the vanagon rear hatch wedge, maybe even with a little bit of modification? http://www.busdepot.com/j19478

Did you ever figure out if this wedge fits or not. I have the same problem my early screwed on rear hatch striker plate wedge has fallen apart.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Ooh, yeah. Approach this with caution. I did not find a way to access those captive nuts and was stunned I could have dropped them and had to do some serious sheetmetal security - turning a 4 minute latch change into days of body work.

Bump on this issue. Use a stud, or cut the head off a long bolt to make a stud.
Thread the stud in that plate once you remove your first bolt or screw. You now have a handle to keep the Captive plate from getting away.
Slide the assembly over the stud once you finished removing all the other bolts, and slide the new part back on, starting a bolt to hold it up.
You can use a strong magnet to keep the stud up, freeing your hands if need be while working on the vehicle.
We had to do this with a Door Striker Plate mounted on the B pillar of late 80s to mid 90s BMWs that had a Door switch /micro switch built into the striker plate. They forgot to mention that removing all the Striker plate bolts allowed the mounting plate to fall inside the B Pillar.
The 8mm stud trick was our solution for keeping the Captive Nut Plate , vertical, and in place.... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

And yes, that sickening sound of a now near -impossible -to -get to mounting plate falling away is not a good one.... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

Yes. Very good input and a great strategy. I was soooo close to dropping it in the cavity. The hint was things inside were floppy when I expected a welded in nut. so I grabbed a bright light before I completely unscrewed it and realized how close disaster was. Great thread.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: