Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

This "MAY" be what you are looking for.

https://www.thethingshop.com/RUBBER-WEDGE-STRIKER-PLATE-SET-OF-4/productinfo/211837177S/

Let us know if they fit.
broncoisl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
This "MAY" be what you are looking for.

https://www.thethingshop.com/RUBBER-WEDGE-STRIKER-PLATE-SET-OF-4/productinfo/211837177S/

Let us know if they fit.

Unfortunetely not mine is the screwed type similar to this: https://www.mtmfg.com/common/images/parts/busstriker41.jpg

VW seems to have used many different striker plates and wedges of different shapes and sizes . In the Vanagon early wedges were screwed on and later snapped on. The striker plates and wedges seem to be NLA at least I haven’t found one except used.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

Well I missed the screwed on part,duh. 211837177 i think is what you may be looking for. Lots of folks sell them.
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
Well I missed the screwed on part,duh. 211837177 i think is what you may be looking for. Lots of folks sell them.

When I google the part number above, I get hits telling me it's for a T2 or even for a Thing. Nowhere do I see Vanagon. Does anyone have experience using one of these on a Vanagon?

Mine has broken and it's definitely the screw type.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

I ordered 211837177 from Airhead VW Parts, it was only $2.50 so I thought I'd give it a shot.

It was totally the wrong part and didn't fit, but the plastic top piece was the correct dimensions and was all I really needed. I ground the little cleats off the bottom of it (it had two little cleats, the original vanagon plastic piece has one) and glued it in place with some 3M weatherstrip stuff, all good.

In retrospect I probably could have found a little piece of 1/16" ABS or something and been okay as well. In any case, the hatch closes with a thud and not a rattle.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kuecker2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

Ok, I bought the single rubber piece for the older models. . getting the original off was a pain. I ended up drilling out the screws. I might have tried a wire saw but it is tight and there may not have been enough room. mine was crumbled. The holes did not line up properly. I chose to enlarge the hole on the rubber piece then fill it with plastic hard epoxy I did not want to mess with the metal piece in case this did not work. Next time i might pry the little metal side off the new one and put the old
little metal piece on. it is now installed and works like a charm

kuecker2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

raoul mitgong wrote:
I have been trying to find on the vendor sites the trapezoidal hatch stop for my 86 and 84 vanagon. It has two threaded holes and on the opposite side it is angled (ramped). It is located just left of the catch, bottom center. Mine are worn and there is evidence of the hatch wiggling and rubbing on the interior panels.
I have searched all combinations of the words in this post title so if someone in the future is having this same problem they will find the answer below that was posted by _________ , the Samba member of the hour!
-d

I just updated with my solution
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

This may be the same part that kuecker2 bought. It's too big but it works. I opted to use the rearmost hole to mount it (with red loctite) because it seemed to mimic the placement of the original part best. The screws seem the same. After a month and a few dozen open/closes of the hatch, so far so good.

For a cool $10, I'm happy:

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211837285

Description:
DOOR STRIKER PLATE WEDGE, fits 1964 (1964 Bus, starting at chassis # 1222026) -1968 Bus, fits left and right, includes installation screws, made by Wolfsburg West, each

Part:
211837285 $5.50

Last one is after a few dozen closes, looks like it's hitting right in the middle:

Oh and I had to use an offset screwdriver. I don't use it often, but it's a lifesaver when you need it. Perfect for screwing the screws on the bottom of the sliding side window latches.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dougnlina Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Hatch Striker, Guide, Bumper, Rubber, Stop Thing Reply with quote

Bumping this, Has any vendor come up with a substitute rubber wedge for the striker plates on the rear hatch?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: