Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oregon Trail Syncro build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

vwhammer wrote:
dkoesyncro wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I must have missed it somewhere but what intake is this?

Android keeps auto correcting...it's an ADP/bleep the ADP was installed on a crossflow 1.6 for the A4/B5 chassis in the European market the bleep replaced it going to the 2.0
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
vwhammer wrote:
dkoesyncro wrote:

I must have missed it somewhere but what intake is this?

Android keeps auto correcting...it's an ADP/bleep the ADP was installed on a crossflow 1.6 for the A4/B5 chassis in the European market the bleep replaced it going to the 2.0

Bleep is Aye Zee Em, see if this works?
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

Hmm ok.
Any info on how well this intake flows compared to the original ABA or later AEG intake.

I don't think I have enough time left until my build deadline to try to track down a Euro only intake and any other associated parts but I will definitely keep it in mind.

I have the MK4 intake on my ABA and am lowering the engine to clear the deck lid but it would be super awesome if I did not have to.

I do however like the better flow rate of the MK4 intake.
I suppose with a turbo that does not matter as much with your build
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

vwhammer wrote:
Hmm ok.
Any info on how well this intake flows compared to the original ABA or later AEG intake.

I don't think I have enough time left until my build deadline to try to track down a Euro only intake and any other associated parts but I will definitely keep it in mind.

I have the MK4 intake on my ABA and am lowering the engine to clear the deck lid but it would be super awesome if I did not have to.

I do however like the better flow rate of the MK4 intake.
I suppose with a turbo that does not matter as much with your build

If you look back through the thread you'll see my commitment to (what I thought) simplicity and efficiency. Some things I hung on to and a lot has changed. Maintaining ground clearance and deck hieght have been the driver, but what I've learned is less one off stuff or custom pieces. I started to lean towards factory/oem parts.

The manifold is almost all runners very little plenum, the plenum volume is enough to supply the 2.0 but the runners are the magic! The ABA had a large plenum and long runners but nothing quite like the AEG or this manifold, I'd bet this might provide more torque on the low end compared to the AEG only because the runners are gradual swept with out the hard bend of the 2 piece units of the other ones. This manifold was on the economy engine larger framed cars over there. eBay.de was a good source maybe $100 US for manifold and fuel rail...
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

Does it accept the US throttle body and did you try to see if any of the US fuel rails and/or injectors will work with the euro manifold?

I did find a couple of the manifolds for about $120 US shipped but no fuel rails.
It's pretty tempting but I did change my rear suspension a bit to change the travel range to accommodate the the engine and trans drop so maybe I should just stick to the original game plan.

Ok sorry that's the last question. Not trying to derail your thread any.
We can carry on with private messages if you would like.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

Well with the front diff out now, getting some attention. It will receive new R&P, solid shaft and a locker. I am focusing on the van-again. We got some stainless coolant lines in, swapped out the leaking steering rack for a reconditioned manual rack. I am also turning my attention to the epas system and Audi cluster!

dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

I'm going stir crazy...I need my drivetrain....
I finished the epas, I used 2004 Ford Explorer slip shaft with double u joints for my linkage bits coupled with some VW u joints welded to the business ends.

The Audi cluster is wired, retrofitted some MK2 stalks with Cruise and MFA. The cruise ecm is installed, I'll chip away at that later. I'm even adding a mk2 dash bezel to accept a double din...that's my plan anyways!

dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

So...a lot has happened and still a ways to go! I got my drivetrain back from "Syncro Shop". We discussed our options and went with the 6.17 R/P set, GT gears and mainshaft, GT main bearing housing, oiling/cooling mods, front locker and Toms' solid shaft. I'm very excited about this build, it's allowed me to get to know Tom (Hell of a good guy) and a further understanding of these gearboxes.

The dash has gotten a bit more shape, I'll be covering it soon.
Here's some pics. I'll report on Sunday!

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

I see some wicked sh*t right there !
(all camouflaged)

This HAS to increase the power-handing capacity of the transmission.
If we only knew "how much".
But then someone would just hang a V6 on there and put it back to 'zero net'.
(with big smiles though Wink )

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

What do those pipes do? Attachments for oil cooling?
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

Pressurized oiling of critical areas.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
Pressurized oiling of critical areas.

That 6.17 is quite the worm!!
Lots of sliding in that R&P.

It is Sodo’s (current) opinion/belief that the 6.17 R&P will generate lots more heat from oil shear, and this trans can benefit from cooling as well. And with a pump, filtering is a given. What a great trans you have built dkoe! Be sure to add theft protection, that van has a pot of gold underneath.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

Thank you Sodo! As much as I love R&D, I think I'll just hang my 2.0 gasser on it. I was thinking about something like Mad Max, a series of switches that if not done correctly ignites a pack of C4. I know I'll be down a van but it would send a message to the vanagon thieves here in the PNW.

I know I promised an update but work kept me busy all day yesterday and half the day today! I have the green goblins installed and just routing wiring, breathers and odds and ends! I really hoped for more but.... work emergencies.

I spoke with Tom of Syncro Shop, we're going to show what a build like this is and what goes into it! Stay tuned for that. I know you will enjoy it.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

A hypoid gear does NOT have rolling contact.
It has sliding contact, thus wastes energy, and requires different lubricants.
Modern cars avoid hypoids, because they are in an 'efficiency' game, eliminating the wasteful friction of sliding gears (worms).

Which is why Redline has recused their own MT-90 from use in transaxles that contain Hypoids. A front wheel drive car, transverse engine would NOT have a hypoid for example because it doesn't need to turn the torque 90°.

There's lots of sliding in that 6.17 R&P, LOTS more than a 4.86.
I think it's about double the sliding of a 4.86 hypoid, so there's gonna be lots more heat.
And only 6 teeth on the pinion head.
I'd ask Swepco directly what oil they recommend for that R&P.
It might be useful to know (before talking to Swepco) what the hypoid offset distnce is, and the tooth counts, in case they are willing to process that info in their recommendation.

dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

The drive train is hung and for the most part everything is bolted on!
Ive temporarily switched focus on the engine carrier, it's loosely a Porsche design. The family of Pioneer Wagenwerkes use a similar design on their Pump Duse conversions. I fell in love with it's form and function. I had to replicate something for the early block at 15°.
I have a bit more Fab to do but it's close.

dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

Im pleased to say/see this is now hanging without the support of straps, chains or come-a-longs. Hopefully this coming weekend will bring some completion in another loose end.

erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

Nice progress!

Just noticed the BFI valve cover - haven't seen that one before. The USRT exhaust manifold is cool too. Such a unique build! Twisted Evil
Escorial Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

Nice work on the motor mount system. That arm on the engine side looks super beefy and well built. I like how you positioned the motor mount brackets in the corners of engine bay. I'm very taken with that Pioneer design as well for my 50 degree TDI build. Seems like a cleaner way to go, easier fab. Which motor mounts did you go with? Thanks, Joel
1974 Honda CL360 Scrambler (for sale!)
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

Escorial Syncro wrote:
Nice work on the motor mount system. That arm on the engine side looks super beefy and well built. I like how you positioned the motor mount brackets in the corners of engine bay. I'm very taken with that Pioneer design as well for my 50 degree TDI build. Seems like a cleaner way to go, easier fab. Which motor mounts did you go with? Thanks, Joel

A local distributor had a surplus of motor mounts for nearly 75% off MSRP. They are the hydraulic Gel mounts for the Audi S4/Passat B5 V6. Actual German made TuV approved, quite surprised at the quality for the price I got them!
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Trail Syncro build Reply with quote

I'm really intrigued with that mount design. I think I'll try to recreate something like it for my next version.

Where did you source all that heat shielding?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: