Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Difference in Westy interiors?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
czechchick5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Difference in Westy interiors? Reply with quote

I was wondering, are there any differences in the years for a Westy interior?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken from here:
http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=54

Volkswagen VANAGON CAMPERS
1980-1991 VW vans are called Vanagons. The interior layouts in the various pop-top versions of the Vanagon, unlike the VW Bus which changed many times, stayed essentially the same throughout the years. The cabinets of the earliest Vanagon pop-tops were fake wood-grain, the seats were a funky striped design, and all the wall and ceiling covering was a thin contact paper-like material that would fall off. Starting with the 1984 Wolfsburg Edition campers, and all '85 and newer campers, the cabinet finish changed to a soft tan color, the fabric changed to a more subdued and extremely durable tan velour fabric, and the funky and unreliable contact paper was replaced with a much more attractive and durable material. This interior scheme stayed in effect through 1986, and in 1987 the interior color changed to gray and remained a very high quality. All '87-'91 full camper interiors are gray and are almost identical. In 1989, the closet door was shortened so it could be opened with the rear table in the stowed position. In 1990, the refrigerator was changed to an electric-start type, and late '90 and '91 models had an inside release for the rear hatch, but that’s about it. In 1985, 1986, and 1987, there was a special Westfalia Wolfsburg Weekender offered. These models have the same pop-top as the full camper, but instead of the fridge/stove/sink assembly, they have a flip-up table and one rear-facing seat behind the driver, and a small all-electric, quick release cooler behind the passenger seat (that does not work very well). The interior color of the '85 and '86 was tan, and the fabric used on the seats and door panels was a tan corduroy that is almost always shredded. The '87 model was available in either tan or blue & gray, and the corduroy was dropped in favor of a much more durable fabric. A very similar model was offered again in 1990 and 1991 and was called the Westfalia Multivan (later offered on the Eurovan platform, as well). The interior color of all of the MV models was gray, and the layout was almost identical to the Wolfsburg Weekender, except it had two rear-facing seats behind each of the front seats, both of which were quick-release for easy removal. The '90/'91 Multivans (MVs) are essentially a Carat seven-passenger Vanagon model with the Westfalia pop-top, and are probably the most sought-after and valuable two wheel drive Vanagons ever made. Whereas the appearance of the Vanagon changed very little over the 12 years it was offered, mechanically they changed profoundly:
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Difference in Westy interiors? Reply with quote

All years of full Westy interior are essentially the same other than color motif. Yes there are some small differences but just ignore them unless you want to spend forever getting an interior. All interiors will fit all body years.

4 different cabinet finishes
5 different fabric color/pattern

The hardest interior parts to find are the 87-91 grey cabinets and grey fabric.

80/81 woodgrain finish cabs
81-84 tan finish
84-86 tan with dark brown kitchen top and tables
87-91 grey finish

80/81 dark brown fabric with colored accents
81-84 plaid with blue or plaid with green
84-86 tan velour
87-91 grey velour

If you buy cabinets from a wrecked van expect cracks in the faces of the cabinets. Don't buy sight unseen unless you can live with cracks. Best to get a whole van or all interior parts from the same van. The years listed above are just rule of thumb and exceptions occurred.

Mark

czechchick5 wrote:
I was wondering, are there any differences in the years for a Westy interior?
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the pre 89s the closet door cannot be opened with the rear table stowed. By 89 they corrected the issue by making the closet door shorter so that it would clear the table. Mine is an 87 so I shortened the table instead.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very early Vanagon Westfalias also had an optional interior with a small rumble seat against the driver's side wall. Somebody on here knows the number designation of that interior layout, but I can't remember it. Cool and different, though.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting in '83, I believe, VW offered a blue velour fabric & blue carpet that's very similar to the tan interior of the same era...'83-'87 (tan may have started in '84).

In '85 & '86 they also offered two other tan fabric variations, one corduroy ("shred-o-matic"), and one that was like a microfiber.

Also, in '87 the captains chairs changed a bit, including the adjustable armrests. There are tan & blue adjustable armrest chairs, but they are rare...most are the '88-'91 grey.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we want to get technical, I'd say there were 6 distinct Westfalia interiors fitted to US market Vanagons. Only one had propane appliances, what I call the "full Westy", sold 1980-1991. There were 3 lesser models with poptops and 2 without poptops, which were sold for from 1 to 5 years during the Vanagon era.

Within the 6 Westfalia interior types referred to above there were some year to year changes as well as color changes, all pretty minor IMHO, and far from fully explained by the GoWe$ty site.

My understanding is that the original poster wanted to know about differences in FULL Westy interiors for the purposes of fitting one to a passenger van. A camper conversion in other words. My contention is that for her purposes they are all pretty much the same other than colors. Of course I can list about 20 differences but they don't much matter in the pursuit of a decent interior for a conversion. The available interiors are not so numerous that you can pick and choose based on the small changes, like the closet door size.... If you need a grey cabinet interior and find a good local one from ANY grey year, grab it fast.

Mark
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Westy I've seen has tall middle cabinets, where the outlets are, that is almost as tall as the table height, and 2-place rear seats. I have a setup from an unknown year early Westy with low middle cabinets and 3-place rear bench. Water tank under the seat. Anybody else have this setup? It has the rear cargo bay cabinet also. 1980? Single-year configuration? I've never seen another one like it. If I leave out the aft cabinet, I can retain the queen size sleeping area, which is nice.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
The very early Vanagon Westfalias also had an optional interior with a small rumble seat against the driver's side wall. Somebody on here knows the number designation of that interior layout, but I can't remember it. Cool and different, though.

mccavittj wrote:
I have a setup from an unknown year early Westy with low middle cabinets and 3-place rear bench. Water tank under the seat. Anybody else have this setup? It has the rear cargo bay cabinet also. 1980? Single-year configuration? I've never seen another one like it. If I leave out the aft cabinet, I can retain the queen size sleeping area, which is nice.

Same thing.........still don't remember what that is called though.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a model P22 Westy, available 80/81. No propane, so no stove and just an icebox. In Europe it could be had with stove and 3 way fridge, a slick setup with a 3 person bench and thus larger bed but less storage. There it was available for several more years.

The full Westy here is a P27.

Mark

Sir Sam wrote:

mccavittj wrote:
I have a setup from an unknown year early Westy with low middle cabinets and 3-place rear bench. Water tank under the seat. Anybody else have this setup? It has the rear cargo bay cabinet also. 1980? Single-year configuration? I've never seen another one like it. If I leave out the aft cabinet, I can retain the queen size sleeping area, which is nice.

Same thing.........still don't remember what that is called though.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1st -'84 wolfsburg , had center seat with split back and each reclined,anyone? Searched for another one but no luck.
czechchick5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
A very similar model was offered again in 1990 and 1991 and was called the Westfalia Multivan (later offered on the Eurovan platform, as well). The interior color of all of the MV models was gray, and the layout was almost identical to the Wolfsburg Weekender, except it had two rear-facing seats behind each of the front seats, both of which were quick-release for easy removal. The '90/'91 Multivans (MVs) are essentially a Carat seven-passenger Vanagon model with the Westfalia pop-top, and are probably the most sought-after and valuable two wheel drive Vanagons ever made.

Why is the Multivan considered to be so sought-after and valuable?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't, at least the owners don't seem to think so. I have recently seen 3 of them at junkyards, all 3 white90/91, all three traded in under Cash4Clunkers. All three SoCal vans. All three well stripped pretty quickly.

Mark

czechchick5 wrote:
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think people like them for the low stance and the fact that you get a pop-top without all of the Westy kitchen stuff; probably the same reasons I like my Wolfsburg Westy (weekender) except they're newer and towards the end of the production run. And, they do look cool (matter of opinion, of course).

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small addition to the list...

In 90/91, there seemed to have been an alternate style door panel on the drivers door, passenger's door, and sliding door. As far as I can tell, the standard version on the GL and tintops looks like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

While others had this:

I've seen campers have both styles of the above door panels, but I can't tell if one was standard vs deluxe or whether it was a year thing. Anyone know?
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: VW interior Reply with quote

I have seen the P-22 from time to time. Built one for myself, enjoyed the interior configuration. Also I like the Water tank under the rear folding seat.
As mentioned, no refer or stove. Use an Engle refrigerator and store Coleman camper stove on top of cabinet.
R0Batt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Difference in Westy interiors? Reply with quote

Are the "white cabinets" the same color compared to the 84-86 and 87-91 interiors?

Only the grey trim and the brown trim are different?

Charlotte, NC
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Difference in Westy interiors? Reply with quote

No. The earlier are an ivory/tan laminate with brown trim. The later are white laminate with gray trim.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Difference in Westy interiors? Reply with quote

wbailey2112 wrote:
No. The earlier are an ivory/tan laminate with brown trim. The later are a light gray laminate with gray trim.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Difference in Westy interiors? Reply with quote

R0Batt wrote:
Are the "white cabinets" the same color compared to the 84-86 and 87-91 interiors?

Only the grey trim and the brown trim are different?

1980-1981: Wood grain laminate with brown trim

1982-1986: Cream/light beige laminate with brown trim

1987-1991: Light gray laminate with gray trim

I've got a collage image showing the above, but for some reason it won't properly upload. Rolling Eyes
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: