Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Little Bus That Could
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pawesty
Samba Medic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: The Little Bus That Could Reply with quote

Left work at 800 this morning to take the 78 transporter on it's first real snow commute. No hassles whatsover!! 60 miles home in this east coast snow storm and didn't so much as kick the ass end out. turnpike looked like it hadn't even been plowed yet. Just enough heat to keep the windshield efrosted but that was all good. hope every other cold weather bus driver is having as much fun as i did!!!! Laughing
dave

79 westy
78 westy

purveyor of refurbed westies and parts!!! inquire within!

Revel_stoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ya dave,I live in Revelstoke BC,Can. and we have about four feet in town right now, and my 73 bus has been handling great,have a booster fan and catalytic propane furnace that I can run while driving, toasty as can be.Heading out to camp/ski tour with the bus this weekend,Rogers Pass 4300ft. Laughing
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upstate New York 1973 Bus, heat not as good as it could be, defroster gives 4 large circles on windshield for first half hour, total blast on the late night parking lot slalom course I just made at the local mall, quite a bit of understeer until back end comes around, tonight's lesson was how to spin out and remain on "road" it seems to depend on locking up all four wheels at just the right moment, if I was too late, it would go off the inside, if I was too early, it would go off outside. Got one 360 in there, but if I was on a real road it would have been the trees for sure. The BMW allows throttle steering with the LSD, but the Bus would either bog down or spin the inside wheel only and understeer city. For parking lot banzai, I think the lack of ABS is a benefit with the Bus. Now I have wheels packed with snow all out of balance, drive safe!
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jahshines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also did a little parking lot testing, and granted I do have good snow tires on the back of my bus, but i had a pretty hard times getting my rear end to break out. i was really surprised, I had to really turn hard and gun it to really slide. Letting off throttle put me right back in line, it was fun. Hey, my BMW 325 with rear snow tires and ABS was a hell of a winter car, I am sure those guys in the 4wds were pretty surprised to see me out in the thick of it.. I never worried
Then there was the winter I lived in Breckenridge, CO, my daily driver was a 74' 2002 with studded tires on all fours......I drove up and down peak 8 to my house...and my road was like a winter rally course...all snow all the time..I just motored on up everyday, unstoppable..I love winter driving
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: