Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radio faceplate difference?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beeble1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Radio faceplate difference? Reply with quote

Last fall I picked up a nice but not working Sapphire XVIII, but I noticed that the faceplate as about a 1/4 inch lip around the edge. Other radios that I have seen, however, are flat, with no lip around the edge. Which would be correct for me to install in my car? I have a 73 super beetle.

Dealership items from Bishop-Wayne Volkswagen & Turner Volkswagen in Kankakee, IL wanted
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the lip you refer to is for use with the flat dash models that use a dash pad. It is like a normal face plate with this piece : http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111035313 attached. Not sure when or why they did this, but I have seen faceplates with the trim piece attached and most where it is a separate piece like in the Wolfsburg ad. I think you just need to find a different faceplate for use with the Super (no experience with 1303 dashes personally) and swap them. They are easy to swap but you have to find the correct plate. There are tons in the classifieds.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
Beeble1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I can look and get a different faceplate, but in the meantime, can I use the one I have?

Dealership items from Bishop-Wayne Volkswagen & Turner Volkswagen in Kankakee, IL wanted
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: