Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thin solar panels
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryecatcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First report: the panel is performing admirably. The battery is fully charged, kept the little Engels 14 fridge running and ice-cold all night, and is already producing excess power by 9 am. I am now gridless Smile
Oh, and had the van up to about 60 mph in the rain with no problems. That 3M industrial velcro really sticks on there...
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be a lot more worried about the sticky back velcro holding on in sustained heat conditions rather than in some rain. Hope it works out.

Mark

ryecatcher wrote:
First report:....
Oh, and had the van up to about 60 mph in the rain with no problems. That 3M industrial velcro really sticks on there...
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see these in action. Do any of you plan to detach the solar panel from the roof at times and place it somewhere more ideal for sunlight?

My hesitation with ceiling-mounting a panel (aside from drilling holes) is that the van will need to be in direct sunlight whenever power is needed. I prefer to have a detachable/portable panel so that the van can stay in the shade but the panel can be in the sun. It's no fun baking in the van while it's in direct sunlight Smile

Keep us in the loop as to what you learn after using it for a few weeks.
yycwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the info back from Renogy. Asked for 30ft wiring..This was the quote

30ft. Adapter Kit

Panels
100W Bendable
$199.99

Controller
MPPT 40Amp
$209.99

30ft. Adapter Kit
$42.99

Sub Total  $452.97

Controller is a lot more expensive than I thought. may have to go with a basic one first and then upgrade later
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is not a bad price for a 40Amp MPPT controller, wondering why you need 40 amps though. 10 to 20 amp should be enought for that size panel.
Also, the 30 ft adapter kit, assuming that is an extension cable? if so, what is the wire gauge size?

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyBoyGomes wrote:
Good to see these in action. Do any of you plan to detach the solar panel from the roof at times and place it somewhere more ideal for sunlight?

My hesitation with ceiling-mounting a panel (aside from drilling holes) is that the van will need to be in direct sunlight whenever power is needed. I prefer to have a detachable/portable panel so that the van can stay in the shade but the panel can be in the sun. It's no fun baking in the van while it's in direct sunlight Smile

Keep us in the loop as to what you learn after using it for a few weeks.

That was my intent (still is). I'm going to re-crimp my connectors 2" from the panel and use a quick disconnect where it is presently bolted. I'll keep 50' of cable under the seat.
I believe the flex panels cost more, not because they do a better job compared to rigid panels, but perhaps the slim design is new and costs are always greater initially...go figure.
yycwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I was thinking that afterwards if I really need a 40 amp mppt (thta's what they quoted not that I asked for )..I'll email them back and ask about a 10 amp mppt

so would this be adequate

http://www.amazon.com/Tracer1210RN-Solar-Charge-Controller-Regulator/dp/B008KWPGS6
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yycwesty wrote:
yeah I was thinking that afterwards if I really need a 40 amp mppt (thta's what they quoted not that I asked for )..I'll email them back and ask about a 10 amp mppt

also, ask them about the wire size for that 30 ft extension, I would not settle for anything less than 12 awg

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yycwesty wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Tracer1210RN-Solar-Charge-Controller-Regulator/dp/B008KWPGS6

Samba member thatvwbusguy has this same MPPT controller, just the 20amp version, I would ask him how it is performing for him. There is also a very nice remote meter available for that controller. I'm also contemplating switching to that controller when the money is more available.

TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before selecting what charge controller to go with, you must know how much charging voltage your battery "likes" to see. For instance, if your battery is rated for 14.7 charging volts and your charge controller can only provide 14.4V, your batteries will never get completely full. Many of these cheaper charge controllers are known for undercharging batteries because of this.

Before buying, just make sure you can adjust the output voltage of the charge controller so that it can match the charging voltage stamped on your battery. That is the best way to keep your batteries healthy. I highly recommend reading the following blog before buying any charge-controllers/batteries.

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/the-rv-battery-charging-puzzle-2/

Also, use big cables in short runs to make the most out of your charging system.
ryecatcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm keeping an eye on the velcro – I agree that the adhesive – not the hook and loop part – is the weak point. However, this industrial strength 3M velcro is seriously sticky.

On the charge controller: I just bought the cheapest one, and it's working great. My needs are modest, though – one Group 41 battery and one very efficient fridge during the day, and the odd fan / disco lights at night Cool
moremorevan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyBoyGomes wrote:
Before selecting what charge controller to go with, you must know how much charging voltage your battery "likes" to see. For instance, if your battery is rated for 14.7 charging volts and your charge controller can only provide 14.4V, your batteries will never get completely full. Many of these cheaper charge controllers are known for undercharging batteries because of this.

Before buying, just make sure you can adjust the output voltage of the charge controller so that it can match the charging voltage stamped on your battery. That is the best way to keep your batteries healthy. I highly recommend reading the following blog before buying any charge-controllers/batteries.

Also, use big cables in short runs to make the most out of your charging system.

thanks for that link. Definitely helpful!
advantageaction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YYC, that charge controller is an EPSolar one. There is a fellow in Burnaby who sells them locally, has a terrible web site but a lot of great information. Pap Solar is his company name.

I purchased my initial product from him as I knew I would want the advice, but now that I know enough to be dangerous am purchasing some product through Amazon and other sources. I have the 20A version with the remote display and it has worked out very well charging my 2x6v 220AGMs. I also have a 45A Progressive Dynamics shore charger that is well matched to my batteries for shore charging.

Cheers!

Barry
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyBoyGomes wrote:

That blog has great info but it seems to be geared towards big RV systems. These guys are running full size appliances with multiple battery banks and solar panels. Nevertheless, the same principles apply.

I have not seen a charge controller for our application that allows you to manually regulate or adjust the output voltage but that is not to say the don't exist. I know little about this. The ones I have seen (including the one posted in link above) have battery setpoints set to a predetermined absorption voltage for a given temperature. This allows you to choose your setting so that you can maximize charge for a number of battery options. They usually give you options for a gel, sealed, AGM or flooded battery, usually with voltage setpoints ranging from 14.0v to 14.4v. This includes the the most popular Morningstar MPPT controller. I think this would be OK for most of the batteries we are using for our application but better check your battery specs to make sure that is true in your case.

nocreditnodebt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bluesky 2512i MPPT charge controller. The2512ix model allows for a batrtery temp sensor, that i wich I had.

With the additional/optional IPN pro remote/ battery monitor I can adjust acceptance/absorption and float voltages, and set at what current the controller will go from acceptance to float as current tapers. I can also set the acceptance duration but this is usually overridden by my float current setting.

This charge controller can only handle 12 volt nominal panels. I believe they have a 2525ix model for higher voltage panels or 12v panels in series.

My 2512i is fed by a kyocera 130 watt panel in parallel with a unisolar pvl-68, and in mid summer I will get mid 13's average maximum amps into the battery(s). I can expect to replace about 65 amp hours each summer sunny day while powering my fridge and fans.

Rogue is another MPPT charge controller to look into.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice,

what is the adjustment range for absorption voltage?

yycwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi barry

Thanks for the link on the BC fellow..Will have a look at his site.

Anyone - I have 2 trojan 105 batteries which I would like charge via solar. Any thoughts on the amps/volts mppt charger I may need. I'll also have to contact Jay as he some serious background in this stuff.

Cheers
Al
nocreditnodebt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
nice,

what is the adjustment range for absorption voltage?

I've set both float and absorption anywhere from 13.1 to 16v.

Right now have it set as 14.7 absorption/acceptance and 14.8v float. USbattery recommends a 15.3v 'finishing' charge but only a 13.1 float. So I use the float stage as a 'finish' stage to keep shoehorning in what I can as the sun lowers

16v with all loads separated for the monthly equalization, I set a 13.1v float after a 14.4v 15 minute absorption, when I am not cycling the battery nightly.
ChilliConCarnage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yycwesty wrote:

so would this be adequate

I have had the Tracer 20amp MPPT controller for almost two years now with no problems. I also bought the remote display, which has never worked well (display is so dim, even when backlit that it's almost unreadable).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You may notice in the first picture that I have two charge controllers. The second smaller controller to the right is an HQRP 10amp PWM model, and I'm using it mostly for it's LVD (low-voltage-disconnect). I've hooked up the LVD output to a bunch of relays that power the fridge, amp, etc. to make sure they don't take the battery voltage down too low. Also, I can hook up a portable 20W panel to it when the top-mounted panel is shaded to the sun.

I have the same cheap HQRP controller in my solar powered shed, and it's been problem free. So, if you're trying to go as inexpensive as possible, you could forgo the MPPT. Here it is on Amazon for only $26:

http://www.amazon.com/HQRP-Battery-Controller-Regu...controller
03 Passat V6 4Motion

Sold:
62 T2 Double Door panel
72 T2 7-passenger
98 Jetta
97 Passat VR6
87 Audi 5000
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same HQPT charge controller as my primary controller on my 80 watt panel, and it works well!
Great for the price.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: