Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jerome Jamboree XXIV September 19-21, 2014
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rjonas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, tents and ez-ups are fine to have but be sure to anchor them well...sudden bursts of wind have sent these flying in the past.

I understand we have an ice truck coming sometime on Saturday...high temps are forecast to be 80-84 for the weekend so ice should stick around longer. Only about 1-mile into the town of Jerome and I'm sure they have ice.

Bulli-Bill...Raffle bus is on the east side waiting for you to pilot it to Jerome. Yes the 6v wipers work...really fast on 12v but for how long??? We'll make sure to lather up the windshields with rainx as hurricane Odile is predicted to bring us some rain for the Friday caravan to Jerome.

3-more days until JJ-24 folks...hope your buses are ready for the voyage.

Parking for non-VW's is scattered around the fringes and certainly not abundant but you can park along one side of the nearby gravel road leading up the mountain just make sure you have a reliable parking brake. Also some larger and flatter parking available 1/2 mile or so up the mountain from about where this photo was taken. Yes, it's a cramped gravel lot on the side of a mountain but the view is incredible.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

www.azbusclub.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait, thanks for the Rain-X treatment! I'll drive the ABC "Raffle Bus" carefully for anyone who might (me!) win her on Sunday. Looking forward to a lot of fun this coming weekend. Roy, I'm hopping a free ride on the flight attendant jumpseat of a Phoenix-bound US Airways Airbus on Wednesday morning, so I'll see you tomorrow! Let the party and fun begin!

"BulliBill" Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hendovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loaded up and on the road, west bound on highway. 60
Red Fau Veh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting ready and the weather seems to be gone today so that is a good thing, we don't need 14 more inches of rain today. Will there be someone at the entrance to keep non vw rigs out of the main camping area? Last year I woke up with a Toyota pick up parked in front of my bus. Confused
1961 Swivel Seat camper, L345 grey
Touch Nicks Thing wrote:
Swivel Seat panels are for people with no friends Crying or Very sad
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{[Last year I woke up with a Toyota pick up parked in front of my bus.}]
Simple Solution. Tell Don to get his tow truck down there and push the toy over the edge!!
Gotta get the gas tank back in a friends vehicle to he can come as well.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
against88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to build the courage to take my 87 scirocco 16v 7 hours out to jerome. (Sorry, it's older than my mk4 gti). Driving back in the sundial would be nice!
hendovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We arrived home safe with the raffle bus!!! Thanks ABC for the most amazing weekend of our lives!
Doug & Cyndi
67_SO42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hendovw wrote:
We arrived home safe with the raffle bus!!! Thanks ABC for the most amazing weekend of our lives!
Doug & Cyndi

get to cleanin out them tickets!!!!

Glad we got to meet you at the gas station. Had to get one last look at your bus!
58 Binz DC #151 "Nacho"
61 Norwegian, bug "Greta"
65 Swedish, Westfalia 400 trailer "Melania"
57 Binz scooter “Micha”
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great time! Everyone was super nice and the Vdubs were beautiful. Best birthday weekend in a long time, thanks ABC!
’65 Deluxe Build
GTV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerome Jamboree was my first VW event when I was 16, I'm 33 now and I've only missed two years. It's one of my favourites. I've always only camped one night, Saturday, but since I had a split to drive this year I thought I'd go a day early and enjoy the whole weekend. I've never had an issue with finding a camp spot, even when I used to arrive later on Saturday, but this year was quite different. We got there at about 3pm Friday and the place was PACKED. It took us about a half an hour to talk some people into moving their stuff around so we could jam ours in, everyone nearly on top of each other. I was surprised that I was even let in the gate and charged for two nights camping when there clearly wasn't a single open space. I love how the JJ is mostly open (other than painted lines for roadways) but I feel that some more organization is now needed to keep camp spaces from sprawling out too far and to keep people from saving areas for their late arriving friends. Just my two cents, hope I didn't come off sounding too harsh. I hope the JJ has many more years of events to come.
fergus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show me that ticket!

[/img]

Okay, now smile with your new bus Very Happy

http://www.arizonabusclub.com

An Arizona-based, family-oriented club, dedicated to the restoration, preservation, and enjoyment of the Volkswagen Transporter. Plus we drink a lot of beer.

You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "Wood U Hit It? (Possibly NSFW)" at TheSamba.com.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fergus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTV wrote:
I've never had an issue with finding a camp spot, even when I used to arrive later on Saturday, but this year was quite different. We got there at about 3pm Friday and the place was PACKED. It took us about a half an hour to talk some people into moving their stuff around so we could jam ours in, everyone nearly on top of each other. I was surprised that I was even let in the gate and charged for two nights camping when there clearly wasn't a single open space. I love how the JJ is mostly open (other than painted lines for roadways) but I feel that some more organization is now needed to keep camp spaces from sprawling out too far and to keep people from saving areas for their late arriving friends. Just my two cents, hope I didn't come off sounding too harsh. I hope the JJ has many more years of events to come.

Yes, things are getting crowded perhaps we're victims of our own success; owing to geography our unique location will never get any larger but the interest in attending the event has never been higher. I helped locate camps for several buses that came in Saturday because the board members kept track of real estate for that purpose. Yes, it's crowded. Yes we are aware and do everything in our power to ensure everyone has a chance to get in, set up their gear and have fun. If you would like to volunteer next year to guide in newbies and help them find spots (we always get a few of them on Saturday night) feel free to contact us and we'll put your talents to use. It takes a LOT of dedicated people to pull off an event like this and we could always use a hand. I'm glad you've been attending all these years and just sorry you didn't win the Bus but Cyndi and Doug look pretty happy.

An Arizona-based, family-oriented club, dedicated to the restoration, preservation, and enjoyment of the Volkswagen Transporter. Plus we drink a lot of beer.

You are receiving this email because you are watching the topic, "Wood U Hit It? (Possibly NSFW)" at TheSamba.com.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was indeed packed but that made it more of a intimate event. I was fed twice by neighbors who cooked extra food, Mmm....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=607361[/url]
’65 Deluxe Build
rjonas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to the lucky winners Doug & Cyndi from Springerville, AZ. Glad they made it home safely with their new wheels.
To those conspiracy theorists out there...NO!...they were not Arizona Bus Club members when they won the bus...but they are now! Razz

Wow, what an awesome event...was only my second since moving here from St. Louis. I am very proud to be a part of the ABC restoration crew and the team responsible for getting the raffle bus to the Friday morning meet up spot with Bill Bowman (Hot VW's"Transporter Talk") our celebrity pilot of the raffle bus in the caravan up to Jerome. There was a bit of excitement Thursday am when we were doing some final tune ups and fixing an axel seal leak...we discovered a wobbly wheel and found one of the rear drums worked loose and damn near wore out all the splines in it. A quick call out to the ABC for a replacement drum was met with Mike at Dougs Bugs & Bunnies donating a nice used drum for the raffle bus.

Bill flew into town Wednesday with another VW friend of mine Shawn from St. Louis and Shawn was lucky enough to be the pilot of the Sky King...the infamous 69 single cab garbage scowl that the club uses for trash pickup. After we picked up the replacement drum from DB&B I took them on a tour of the Salt River valley and the cascade of lakes to the east of Phoenix in my 73 Type-181 Thing, had lunch in Globe, AZ and returned through Superior, AZ. They were thoroughly impressed with the sights most of us in Arizona take for granted and vowed to return again next year driving their own old VW's from Missouri who's highest point is only 2200' above sea level.

Thank you to all the sponsors and ABC volunteers who put on a fantastic event. Hope everyone made it home ok and that you'll be back next year.

LuckyDucks

Lots of potential winners after the first two numbers were called.

Pit stop at Albertson's in Prescott Valley

Trying to keep up with Bill driving the Raffle Bus into Jerome

Who needs to work on VW's when you got friends who work on VW's

Bill Bowman adjusting valves on the raffle bus...5-minutes before we discovered the wasted drum

Here's the 2015 JJ-XXV raffle bus, a 1959 panel (Aug 1958 built) donated by new bus club member Stephanie and her family...digging the T-tops.

Next years raffle bus winner, maybe...it could be you?

www.azbusclub.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
64 ragtop volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made it back to the ranch.great campout thanks abc for a awesome weekend.
fergus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rjonas"]

Who needs to work on VW's when you got friends who work on VW's

Who needs to work on their own VW's when you've got friends who have friends who will work on them for you!

Jerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy, it looks like you & your buds are working hard & playing harder out there!
Congrats on a successful show!

thevwcompound *instagram*
mickey86004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made it home safe on Thursday. Traveled 2800 miles round trip from Northern Missouri to make Jerome. One of my favorite camp outs! Thanks ABC for all that you do!

1959 15 Window
1958 Panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: