Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
masterjedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

fabfriar wrote:
bubba wrote:
I couldn't open the file.. If I could get someone to break the file into a PDF for the template I could give it my water jet guy and he could bust some of these out..

pm me your email, and I'll send you the pdf.

Just a reminder, remember what Jason (who created this) said, earlier in the thread: "Only thing I ask is not to make and sell them. Of course you can recoup your cost if you have a batch cut, just don't want to see them sold for profit. Trying to help out the vw community. "

Can you email me the PDF please. [email protected]
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

Does this push the trans back and alter the toe-in of the rear wheels when it's mounted up?

I'm going to pull the trans out of my truck in a couple of weeks to fix the badly aligned solid mount. Thinking it may be a better solution than the solid mount, if it doesn't mess with the toe-in.

Thanks

Andy

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

Nice, fabfriar. Anyone else using one? I'd like to see some pics. What about you dennisq, ever make one?

If someone can give me the PDF, I'll see if Everett will post the files.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

Thanks for sending the files. I've emailed a CNC place over here. Just waiting for a quote.

Could the rubber donut be used as well as the later rubber mount if the donut was adapted to fit the later nosecone's 'snout'?

Would there be any advantages or disadvantages to doing so?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

For the record, a long busy summer meant I never got to make any of these. I need one, so I will try to have my friend cut a couple out over the winter. If so, I will let you guys know.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

It could be adapted. There is a kit made for it, arond $200-300 if my memory serves me correct. I dont like it for my application, straight axle. The rubber is mostly in bottom and straight axles go up in front. Great for reductions though as the front goes down with them. It also moves the trans back. If youre asking about both same time, no use one or other. You can also run an intermediate mount like Bergs. Oldspeed makes one and it uses the cradle mounts sandwitched between the frame and mount. I believe it may need to be welded for best fit. Mine is no welding and easily reversable. It can be made for around $6 too. Go to a metal place and look in their remnants, maybe even cheaper. My local place is $6 for a 12x12 plate. You could also print and trace like fabfriar if your cutter is expensive.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

I have the pdf now. You can trace and cut. Doesnt have to be very precise to work correctly. Files available are vlm, dxf and pdf.
CaLiBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
Does this push the trans back and alter the toe-in of the rear wheels when it's mounted up?

I'm going to pull the trans out of my truck in a couple of weeks to fix the badly aligned solid mount. Thinking it may be a better solution than the solid mount, if it doesn't mess with the toe-in.

Thanks

Andy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1318980
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

CaLiBus wrote:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1318980

Seen that. With the shipping to the UK it's just not worth it.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

I dont like urethane. Hard and cracks too quick. This one is as quiet and soft as stock.

Your cutter should be able to load the file and cut it really easy. Most they should charge is $40, WhoMe.

Take the pdf file and print it, then trace it out. Cut with jigsaw and grind ends round. Drill holes, done.
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

Does Jason's bracket work with RGB's? I just realized, his is a straight axle conversion. Anyone with some RGB feed back and this bracket? Thanks
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

I think the only difference would be the nosecone goes down under load. Opposite. I dont know if anybody ever got to using one. I have a 2017 in my bus now. Still working well. To be honest though I havent put too many miles on it. Time will tell.
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

jason wrote:
I think the only difference would be the nosecone goes down under load. Opposite. I dont know if anybody ever got to using one. I have a 2017 in my bus now. Still working well. To be honest though I havent put too many miles on it. Time will tell.

That's kind of what I figured... it may not be until next summer, but I'll post up on my big nut tranny with your brackets. Thanks again!
fabfriar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

I have a big nut tranny with RGB's on my 59 with this mount, so far it's been great.
jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

fabfriar wrote:
I have a big nut tranny with RGB's on my 59 with this mount, so far it's been great.

Great, good to know!
dannyred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

Hi guys could I please get a copy of the PDF file? [email protected]
Much appreciated
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Nice, fabfriar. Anyone else using one? I'd like to see some pics. What about you dennisq, ever make one?

If someone can give me the PDF, I'll see if Everett will post the files.

I just saw this - Yes, send it to me and I can post it on the site
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

I had a company over here cut a set. They converted Jason's DXF or VLM file in to a PNG. I've added the PNG and a copy converted to JPG to the Gallery and attached below.

The hole diameters are off slightly on this diagram. They needed to be opened up slightly. The Laser cutting company converted Jason's files from imperial to metric and I think that's where the discrepancy arose.

PNG...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

JPG...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Full disclosure - after having them cut, I decided not to use them because they ended up thicker than the solid mount that I took out. I was concerned they'd push the stock transmission back a little and there isn't any adjustment on stock spring plates to keep the toe correct. I reckon if you had an IRS trans with slotted spring plates, this would be a very good solution though.

jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

I made the holes smaller. So you can run a drill through it to size. The plasma cutter I used wasn't too precise. They dont touch so it wont push the trans back any. You bolt the rubber mount on the other side to take up the difference, thickness. What I do is bolt the big U piece in, bolt the cradle mounts in, see where nose cone is and adjust that area.
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

They make a milled modified nose cone now for this right?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: