Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
They make a milled modified nose cone now for this right?

Yep. But for the cost of that you could make a dozen of these, at least. And this uses stock mounts that are readily available.
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:

This one?
http://ranchotransaxles.com/shop/donut-style-nose-cone-conversion/
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:

Yep. But for the cost of that you could make a dozen of these, at least. And this uses stock mounts that are readily available.

I really like the simplicity of the mount.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Malokin Martin wrote:

I really like the simplicity of the mount.

Now that I see the price of the rancho nosecone (looks like a damn nice piece) I will change my estimate to about three dozen of Jason's simple mounts for the same price.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

It cost $6 for the plate steel, can make 66 of them. That nosecone looks really nice but it’s like $100 cheaper than a new trans. Mine is cheap, doesnt push the trans back and uses stock rubber mount that you can change without removing trans.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

jason wrote:
It cost $6 for the plate steel, can make 66 of them. That nosecone looks really nice but it’s like $100 cheaper than a new trans. Mine is cheap, doesnt push the trans back and uses stock rubber mount that you can change without removing trans.

I was including the cost of paying a shop to cut them in my estimate. If you have the CNC plasma cutter already, that really cuts the cost.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

I figured cutting them with a hacksaw, drills and using the pdf.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

jason wrote:
I figured cutting them with a hacksaw, drills and using the pdf.

What are we, Neanderthals? Laughing
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

I know right. I have a lot more time than money lately.
butty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

Did you have to shave excess rubber off the front of the rubber mount ? where it bolts to the adaptor plate ?
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

Depends on the mount. Some have rubber, some don't. I did on mine. Cut it with razer and pelled off. On the plate steel part.
butty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Depends on the mount. Some have rubber, some don't. I did on mine. Cut it with razer and pelled off. On the plate steel part.

Cheers thought so thanks .
Milanche77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

hello, do you need to modify bus nose cone to enter in the hole?
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

I don't remember clearancing anything. I would check it, some are shaped a bit different.
jeffros 58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

You say you have the file and would share ? I would like to make this for my 1957 SC .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

Pm your email
dickie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

I used your PDF...thanks. Then cut it out using a jig saw and some files. Worked out perfectly. Everything lined up and bolted into place, even the shifting coupler fit up amazingly well. My only problem is with the two small threaded holes on each side of the original cradle mount. The holes that are there seem to be somewhat rusted out so that the 8mm coarse thread bolts that I have will not thread in, the threads are too small to grab onto anything. Or maybe I am using the wrong size bolt. Can anyone let me know what size bolt it should actually be there? It is the last step to finishing off mounting my tranny...hate to have to remove the whole transaxle in order to tap out those two holes for a larger bolt. Or perhaps there is another solution? Thanks.
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

dickie wrote:
I used your PDF...thanks. Then cut it out using a jig saw and some files. Worked out perfectly. Everything lined up and bolted into place, even the shifting coupler fit up amazingly well. My only problem is with the two small threaded holes on each side of the original cradle mount. The holes that are there seem to be somewhat rusted out so that the 8mm coarse thread bolts that I have will not thread in, the threads are too small to grab onto anything. Or maybe I am using the wrong size bolt. Can anyone let me know what size bolt it should actually be there? It is the last step to finishing off mounting my tranny...hate to have to remove the whole transaxle in order to tap out those two holes for a larger bolt. Or perhaps there is another solution? Thanks.

You’re using the wrong size bolts, they’re 10mm thread.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dickie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

oh, ok I will try that. But looking over the original thread, it seems as though the adaptor plate was bolted in using a nut and bolt, rather than using just the bolt into the treaded mount? Thanks.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bus front trans adapter that uses stock rubber mount Reply with quote

I used bolts on the top. I ended up using button heads for more clearance between the bolt heads and trans. Black ones in picture.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: