Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finally found some good window cranks
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
t'sunamibus wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just got these from GW & I plan to FILL THEM with JB Weld. They're already
better than the "OE" replacement cranks (also just a batch of cold pot metal...) Rolling Eyes

UPDATE: JB weld-reinforced handle & screw to secure press-fit knob:

Two cranks took a whole small package of JB weld (effectively doubling my investment... Rolling Eyes ) but man, they're pretty solid!

- Dave

Cool

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
modelttouring wrote:
You can get spacers for the window crank handles from a VW cabriolet, late 80's to 90's The back window handles have spacers on them to clear the extra clearance for the top. The spacers and screws will fit Vanagons.

An FYI, in case anyone is about to go junkyarding:

A) 1991-1993 Cabriolets only.

B) Spacer/adapter is part number 155847363.

C) Will require the 18mm screw too (part #N0142675), along with the base/washer gizmo (part #155837595).

D) The spacer is for the 4x6 rear speaker grille clearance in those years (prior years did not have external speaker grilles due to the little 3.5" speakers mounted behind the panels, therefore not requiring a spacer); it has nothing to do with the convertible top.

Someone early mentioned some years of jettas too, no? How about these? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005ZL497Y/ref=mp_s...ref=plSrch

Or
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0046VNUX8/ref=pd_a...ADPKDTKKTA
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally found some good window cranks Reply with quote

^^ I'd like to know too. Is it just the screw that varies (which could be easily overcome), or is the spindle a different diameter/spline?

Both my GW replacement handles broke... and they didn't really clear my speakers either Rolling Eyes

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally found some good window cranks Reply with quote

OK, forget my JB blob treatment above...lasted barely 10 months of use (van garaged Nov-Mar)... Rolling Eyes

After taking the past 6 years to reluctantly try <almost> every other conceivable option, finally installed
perhaps the last set of window cranks I may ever need:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046VNUX8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Relatively cheap ($10/pair!), easily clear my aftermarket speakers & are absolutely solid.

Works for me... Cool

- Dave

Last edited by dhaavers on Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally found some good window cranks Reply with quote

I have a pair of those also. When I got them the knobs were a bit loose/wobbly. I pulled the center plug from the knob, crimped the rivet down a bit more snugly, and reinstalled the plug. Now they are very nice and indeed quite solid.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Finally found some good window cranks Reply with quote

Now you need one of these...
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Finally found some good window cranks Reply with quote

^^^ Wow...except I know I'm not cool enough for that...

Embarassed Laughing Wink

- Dave

Guybrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Finally found some good window cranks Reply with quote

After breaking a couple cranks, then trying the same cranks with JB Weld filling, I just bought the HD ones from Gowesty. Finish could be better in my opinion, but those are definitely the last set you'll need to buy. It won't take long before you spend at least as much going through the cheap ones.
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Finally found some good window cranks Reply with quote

I had some of those chrome ones on my Squareback when I was 16 but never did the foot pedal.

I’m running the GoWesty cranks on my van and they work great. They clear my 5” speakers too.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Finally found some good window cranks Reply with quote

X 3 on the HD GoWesty cranks. The knob came off my standard replacement crank 2 months after I bought it. I then said screw it and got the HD cranks. At $40 each, they are not cheap, but I will never EVER have to try rolling up a window with snapped off cheap plastic knob.

http://www.gowesty.com/product/interior-parts/24648/heavy-duty-high-offset-window-crank?v=
hozbee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally found some good window cranks Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
OK, forget my JB blob treatment above...lasted barely 10 months of use (van garaged Nov-Mar)... Rolling Eyes

After taking the past 6 years to reluctantly try <almost> every other conceivable option, finally installed
perhaps the last set of window cranks I may ever need:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046VNUX8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Relatively cheap ($10/pair!), easily clear my aftermarket speakers & are absolutely solid.

Works for me... Cool

- Dave

x2

Hated the cheap and flimsy plastic replacement cranks I bought awhile back from one of our longtime vendors. Too loose even with spacers and proper torque. Got the Empi's from Amazon. Nice and solid crank for a relatively cheap price. Absolutely no play when tightened down and easily clears my speaker grills. Most likely the last set of cranks I'll be purchasing too.

singletrackrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Finally found some good window cranks Reply with quote

I have been using the Empi's for six or seven years. They occasionally loosen a bit, but other than that, they have been stellar. Recommended.
'04 Forester XT
'00 4Runner Limited (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singletrackrod
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Finally found some good window cranks Reply with quote

I have been using the Empi's for six or seven years. They occasionally loosen a bit, but other than that, they have been stellar. Recommended.
'04 Forester XT
'00 4Runner Limited (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirsche Wasserboxer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally found some good window cranks Reply with quote

singletrackrod wrote:

After two years of use, the knob broke off the EMPI crank on my driver's door. At $12ish a pair, I'm going to go with them again, as I could get four of these for less than one of the HD cranks from GW. The passenger side is fine, but from day one, the driver side crank knob was always a little too loose. I tried the suggestion above to try to tighten it up, but I think that only hastened its failure.
michaelbteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Finally found some good window cranks Reply with quote

Another vote for the GoWesty cranks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: