Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

SteveMc wrote:

New after market.
http://www.gowesty.com/product/latest-releases/20236/idle-air-control-valve-?v=

Oh man, when did this come out? Would have saved me a lot of headache. They did not have it when I was searching for for one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

But as usual -- it's not going to work on the 1.9. I asked. Too bad it's not compatible. They could have sold many more.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

While I'm bummed about the price, I'm glad GW has made the effort for us Californians. That CARB approval is fantastic. The R&D for such a small niche market must have been a real PITA. I'm curious about the performance on a stock WBX. We've seen the performance boost it gives their engines, but what about stock? I am especially interested in fuel economy.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

oceanair wrote:
But as usual -- it's not going to work on the 1.9. I asked. Too bad it's not compatible. They could have sold many more.

Yeah, I have a 1.9 as well and Gowesty make it pretty clear on their website that they are not interested in the 1.9 (except they do use 1.9 engines along with 2.1 engines for their upgrades).

Van Cafe have been pretty good supporters of the game 1.9 so let’s hope RMW maintain this.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

I don't know if the CARB sticker would be valid on an '85 or earlier van, but there is no reason for the new EFI system not to work on a 1.9. You just have to get the rest of the 2.1 components that the GW system is designed around and install them with it. Many people have upgraded their 1.9 digijet systems to Digifant. Either they have swapped all the 2.1 components including the exhaust, cooling and FI or they have done it piecemeal to suit their needs.

Hans
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

I'm pulling the trigger next week on this set up. Luckily I still have a some cash in the westy fund left over. Hope it all works out.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Are you going to be installing yourself or have a shop do it? If DIY, please start a separate build/results thread so we can track. Thanks!

mtnride1 wrote:
I'm pulling the trigger next week on this set up. Luckily I still have a some cash in the westy fund left over. Hope it all works out.

vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

A way of thinking that maybe takes a little of the sting out of the price is to consider some of the parts involved. A new throttle body, AFM, and ECU, coil and distributor. Parts that cause running issues, or NLA, may need to be rebuilt, etc.
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Don't forget the brand new wiring harness!
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Quote:
You just have to get the rest of the 2.1 components that the GW system is designed around and install them with it. Many people have upgraded their 1.9 digijet systems to Digifant. Either they have swapped all the 2.1 components including the exhaust, cooling and FI or they have done it piecemeal to suit their needs.

Exactly -- it would need all of this to work, so it does not work with the 1.9.

From GW:
Quote:
The fuel injection will not work with the 1.9 (cased) motor as it has different inputs /outputs for sensors and components that are not transferable.

So it would need much of the digifant added as well as the new EFI. I'm not sure what that would all be though. I would like to know what would be needed, but they weren't able to tell me via email at this time.

Thoughts on that?
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

oceanair wrote:
Quote:
You just have to get the rest of the 2.1 components that the GW system is designed around and install them with it. Many people have upgraded their 1.9 digijet systems to Digifant. Either they have swapped all the 2.1 components including the exhaust, cooling and FI or they have done it piecemeal to suit their needs.

Exactly -- it would need all of this to work, so it does not work with the 1.9.

From GW:
Quote:
The fuel injection will not work with the 1.9 (cased) motor as it has different inputs /outputs for sensors and components that are not transferable.

So it would need much of the digifant added as well as the new EFI. I'm not sure what that would all be though. I would like to know what would be needed, but they weren't able to tell me via email at this time.

Thoughts on that?

There isn't as much needed as you're thinking. Most of the re-used Digifant parts are also used on the 1.9 Digijet engines. Injectors, coolant temp sensor, fuel pressure regulator are all the same. The main difference is that the wiring harness is made to mount the ecu under the rear seat and the 1.9 Digijet Ecu was behind the left tail light. Maybe GoWesty will extend their application scope to include the 1.9 later on. But even now, it should be possible to make it work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

GW just doesn't want to deal with 1.9 engines so they make it seem like it is not possible. The 1.9 long block and 2.1 long block are almost identical and what minor differences there are are easily delt with. That's why so many people with early vans put 2.1 and 2.2 engines in at rebuild time. All the accessories can be swapped back and forth to fit what system you want to use.

Hans
avernon82
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

man, I wish this came out 2.5 years ago. I've since bought a rebuilt throttle body $350, AFM 239, cleaned injectors50, rebuilt ECU 250, new distributor 70, and oxygen sensor 80.

It hurts to type that all out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Ok, so you are in for a grand. Let's say you spend a few hundred more on a new harness. That's still less than half of the cost of the new system. Unless you have something more than a 2.3 you are good to go for many years. The new system was designed to support GW's larger engines with higher compression. They where having too many failures because at that level of performance EVERYTHING needs to be perfectly in tune. The old system just can't provide that kind of performance. If you have a fairly stock motor you can get new and/or rebuilt throttle bodies, AFMs, ECUs , idle air valves and modules- the whole ball of wax for significantly less money than the GW EFI and you van will run great. The only people who really need this kind of system are those who are going big or going turbo. I applaud them for doing it and hope to one day have an engine that would need this or Marco's kit, but the average guy doesn't really need it. If the price point was closer to $2k, then it would make a lot more sense to change over instead of doing a complete stock FI overhaul. But at $3k, it doesn't really pencil out for a stockish engine. That's MHO...

Hans
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:
Buy it with their new 2.7!

http://www.gowesty.com/product/rebuilt-engines/24748/2700cc-engine-?v=

A 10K WBX out of thebox, wondering has anyone purchased the 2.7 ?
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

GBA 88West LA wrote:
SyncroChrick wrote:
Buy it with their new 2.7!

http://www.gowesty.com/product/rebuilt-engines/24748/2700cc-engine-?v=

A 10K WBX out of thebox, wondering has anyone purchased the 2.7 ?

There is a guy on instagram I follow that had one installed around 10/2017. His instagram handle is @thevanagondiaries

Click HERE to see the 1-minute install video of the GoWesty 2.7 engine (you may need instagram to view the video)
Abelabelabel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

I'm excited for this. Been following it for a while. Not sure if I'll get it for my 2100 Van any time soon, but glad to know it's there.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

To the best of my calculations, my GW2.5L (which has run flawlessly since 2012 and going on 60k miles now) will gain 13HP with the EFI based on projections from the current line up of GW's larger displacement engines, up to 138HP from 125HP. Worth $3000+Labor+Misc?
remraf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

I have a fresh rebuilt 2.1 and have wanted to replace the stock system. Ive followed this closely and think they’ve done an amazing job. I wish the price was lower but given all that’s included and carb approval it’s probably not that bad.

FYI, for those who already bought the new aluminum TB (like me) apparently they won’t deduct the price of the TB from the kit. I called to ask and it didn’t seem like they anticipated that scenario. The person indicated I could have a backup or sell my old one or order it over the phone without and lose gobucks. Hopefully they’ll rethink it.

I also asked about tunability and access to ecu via laptop. The salesperson didn’t have that info. If they can remote into it the functionality is there, I wonder if it’s locked down.

Last, not to high jack the thread but there is another kit about to come to market for the wbxr. I’m on the wbxr Facebook group and Marco Mansi has posted pics of his almost completed EFI system he’s doing with thedubshop.

EDIT removed detailed Marco kit info.

Last edited by remraf on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Let's keep Marco's FI/Turbo project on that thread, most of us on this thread are following that one as well. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 20

Jump to: