Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

just some thoughts on GW EFI or engine management system. seems to me that that if someone wanted to make a ecu that would work on the waterboxer they could have used the subaru ecu and just reprogramed the system to work for the water boxer. this would have allowed the use of existing sensors etc. i dont know if general motors has an opposed 4 cyclinder engine that was similar. i wonder why GW decided to go with an american engine management system? never reinvent the same wheel when you dont have to just modify it. subaru has all the sensors and other parts that would be needed to control the water boxer engine. seems like less work to change or rewrite programs than using a completely different system. why didnt they partner with someone like mega squirt for their application?
there are several threads where people have used a mega squirt system. i wonder if the persons who have made the effort would share their set up and work with people who wanted to make the switch to mega squirt?
if GW uses a standard GM ecu that has been reprogrammed will you only be able to purchase replacements from GW? will they be around in 5 years? will this be a under funded, and a marketing failure that will leave people with a system that is NLA or supported? i applaud what GW is doing and think it is great for the boxer engine and older van owners.
1990 vw automatic camper
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

The first batch of the kit sold out in 72 hours. Very impressive.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

How many in the batch?
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Seems more than fair to me. Research, parts, getting it reliable enough to mass produce, small batches due to limited number of vans and the profit that they deserve. More than fair to get rid of the troubles of an old system and all of it's foibles. Not to mention the new harness, OBD2.

I am disappointed that it does not cross over easily to the 1.9, but no surprise there.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

"More than fair"... I don't know, it's hard to say since we don't know what their cost of materials are and just how much it cost to get the tuning done to get the CARB. My opinion is that it does not make financial sense to purchase it for a stock Vanagon. For a lot less money you can fully overhaul the digifant system with new harness and sensors and all the main components replaced or rebuilt. The stock system is just fine stock and 2.2-2.3 motors. The $1200 or so you could save doing that would buy you some other nice goodies for your van.

Hans
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

I've got this installed in my GW 2.3 litre engine. I have an older install that is currently missing the updated crank sensor. I've been told that when I get around to installing that I'll see a big improvement....which is hard to believe because she is running so great right now.

I've put about 30,000 km on this setup and it works amazingly well. My fuel economy is way better when just cruising. If I put lots of load on the engine my fuel economy is worse. I have gotten over 23.5 MPG when running on a flat at around 90 KPH. My average since the new EFI in all kinds of driving is 17.5 MPG (MPG are in US gallons).

I can't say much about the extra power, I was running the real old version of GW EFI before I updated to this new version (used that to drive to Argentina)...that version felt that it gave more power as well so I don't feel a huge difference.

Gregor
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

"More than fair" can be based on the costs of production & R&D from the sellers viewpoint

or... can be based on the cost rel. to other options from the buyers viewpoint

sometimes, there is no overlap of the two Exclamation
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Well there is at least 50 new owners of this system(said to have sold out in 72 hours) However not a peep out of anyone of them yet. Someone must have fitted theirs by now so how about some feedback.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Luckyphil wrote:
Well there is at least 50 new owners of this system

Um.... Feb 5, sold out, after being on sale a few hours... Shipping time? Open up box and let parts glisten in the moonlight? And a complicated DIY procedure? OR, take it to a shop and let them figure it out? I'm not all that good at math, but seriously? I'm pretty sure that its only Feb 12th today.

I am excited to hear, and/or see some pic's of this stuff going in tho!!!

-bobby
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Any feedback yet from new owners of the new system?? Please?
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

At least 50 kits sold probably more and not a single feedback post. Seems that Gowesty has stifled buyers from providing any feedback till they approve. Could it possibly be none are fitted yet or is it not just plug and play or are there issues?
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Luckyphil wrote:
At least 50 kits sold probably more and not a single feedback post. Seems that Gowesty has stifled buyers from providing any feedback till they approve. Could it possibly be none are fitted yet or is it not just plug and play or are there issues?

Or could you just be waayyy too anxious to cast shade without apparent reason? Stifled buyers from providing feedback? That is an extraordinary claim, which to my mind should require some extraordinary evidence. Rolling Eyes
Some people call him Maurice...
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

ledogboy wrote:
Luckyphil wrote:

Or could you just be waayyy too anxious to cast shade without apparent reason? Stifled buyers from providing feedback? That is an extraordinary claim, which to my mind should require some extraordinary evidence. Rolling Eyes

From the Gowesty site not my words, "If it is your preference to opt-out of providing feedback, please refrain from purchasing an EFI system until our feedback period has concluded. Thank you!"
I take offence to your insinuations, just asking questions. Hey the reason I love this site is the fantastic feedback however some like you choose to stifle freedom of speech.
Kkinsch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Luckyphil wrote:

From the Gowesty site not my words, "If it is your preference to opt-out of providing feedback, please refrain from purchasing an EFI system until our feedback period has concluded. Thank you!"

Not to jump into the middle of this pissing contest, but I interpreted this "feedback" quote to be a "beta" tester period. Meaning that GW wants each of these initial 50 systems to be a part of a beta program that provide feedback back to the GW engineers. That does not mean that they have a gag order on people commenting on the system in the "real world."

Nonetheless, if you want to see an installed system, Jeffrey at Wise Westy just had some images up on his facebook and IG account. Look him up...
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Kkinsch wrote:
Luckyphil wrote:

Not to jump into the middle of this pissing contest, but I interpreted this "feedback" quote to be a "beta" tester period. Meaning that GW wants each of these initial 50 systems to be a part of a beta program that provide feedback back to the GW engineers. That does not mean that they have a gag order on people commenting on the system in the "real world."

Nonetheless, if you want to see an installed system, Jeffrey at Wise Westy just had some images up on his facebook and IG account. Look him up...

This is definitely not the Beta program, that has come and gone. This is more of a feedback on the install and install process by users rather than GoWesty.

I was on the beta test and had no 'gag-orders', in fact I asked Lucas specifically if I could discuss the system openly and there was no problem to do so.
Mexico 2022-2023
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

gbrandt wrote:
Kkinsch wrote:
Luckyphil wrote:

This is definitely not the Beta program, that has come and gone. This is more of a feedback on the install and install process by users rather than GoWesty.

I was on the beta test and had no 'gag-orders', in fact I asked Lucas specifically if I could discuss the system openly and there was no problem to do so.

So, can you, like, provide any feedback here? Razz

Edit: fuel economy, power, reliability, other issues?

Edit Edit: Doh! I see you already did https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8682426&highlight=#8682426

Last edited by Red Beard on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Red Beard wrote:
So, can you, like, provide any feedback here? Razz

Edit: fuel economy, power, reliability, other issues?

Scroll up about 10 posts.
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Hey Gregor,

Is that 17.5mpg average with an automatic or manual trans?

Hans
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

hdenter wrote:
Hey Gregor,

Is that 17.5mpg average with an automatic or manual trans?

Hans

That’s a manual tranny. Oddly enough my average mileage is getting better. Now at 18. Maybe it’s the roads in Europe 😀. I also have big tires. 215/75r15. BFG KO2
Mexico 2022-2023
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

That doesn't seem like much of an improvement over stock performance for a manual trans van. Are you accounting for the 11% difference in tire size on your odometer reading?

Hans
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 20

Jump to: