Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The New GoWesty EFI Parts Kit
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Go westy isn't making it for you guys, they're making it for their customers who buy $90k vans and $6k wbx's.
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
depends on what kind of fruit you are used to

I agree with the analysis of GW's interests.

My interests preclude a $3k induction kit when Bostig or Sube swaps are close to that (on a log scale).

I don't disagree that $3000 is a lot of money, but I'm not understanding why people keep commenting that you can do a Subaru or Bostig swap for similar cost. Bostig kit alone is almost $7000 by the time it gets to your door, plus the cost of engine and other items to install it. You might be able to stuff a Subaru engine for 3000 if you luck out and find a good engine for a cheap price, and you don't want to rely on someone's kit to do it. But again the rocky mountain Westy kid is going to get you close to $3000 just for the kit plus you got to find an engine and everything else. So to me a $3000 plug-and-play system isn't so bad if it does provide significant power, economy, and reliability improvements. Assuming you already have a decent WBX to hook it to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

MayorMcCheese wrote:
Go westy isn't making it for you guys, they're making it for their customers who buy $90k vans and $6k wbx's.

What makes a GoWesty Westy Go???? Lots of money Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

This.

Digging up an old thread as it looks like GW is close on getting the product out the door. They just updated that they are going to race it in Mexico and then produce it.

To me the biggest issue prompting a motor swap is reliability. Otherwise, I think there is a big appeal to keeping things VW. My understanding is that if you go above EJ22 or head the Bostig route etc. you are going to start looking at brake upgrades and potentially tranny work.

For 3k you could get the reliability and you get to keep things VW. My bitch about the WBX is that i'm worried some old EFI part is going to take a crap on a long distance trip. For 3k, this seems like a value compared to a swap. As stated in the quote, it's going to be a bigger undertaking than 3k to get a swap done.

Am I missing something?

Red Beard wrote:
Merian wrote:
depends on what kind of fruit you are used to

I agree with the analysis of GW's interests.

My interests preclude a $3k induction kit when Bostig or Sube swaps are close to that (on a log scale).

I don't disagree that $3000 is a lot of money, but I'm not understanding why people keep commenting that you can do a Subaru or Bostig swap for similar cost. Bostig kit alone is almost $7000 by the time it gets to your door, plus the cost of engine and other items to install it. You might be able to stuff a Subaru engine for 3000 if you luck out and find a good engine for a cheap price, and you don't want to rely on someone's kit to do it. But again the rocky mountain Westy kid is going to get you close to $3000 just for the kit plus you got to find an engine and everything else. So to me a $3000 plug-and-play system isn't so bad if it does provide significant power, economy, and reliability improvements. Assuming you already have a decent WBX to hook it to.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

The GW link for what it's worth....

http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=149

I'll be watching and eager to make the upgrade, but I won't be the first. GW's first run at this was not ready for prime time, even though numerous systems were sold to customers w/o the appropriate 'beta' version assurances. If it ain't broke, don't fix it and be careful what you wish for. Only time will tell on this one.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

what is missing is that throwing $3k into a better EFI system STILL leaves you with the poorly designed WBX

not to mention the difficulty of finding some small town mechanic to service a GW only product

but hey you'd save a bit over a Bostig or Sube swap

my motor is all stock BTW
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Well, for someone who is happy to trot along with a stock motor, the stock EFI is fine and is serviceable. Once the stock system has been gone through and all it's components tested, there is plenty of support out there to maintain it if the owner is diligent about engine/vehicle upkeep. If there is a minor irregularity, the stock engine can usually tolerate it until it gets bothersome to the owner. GW's problem was people installing their performance engines and then not maintaining the stock FI system in tip top condition. The performance motors would fail because they can't tolerate any significant shortfalls like a partially clogged injector or the ECU setting a lean mixture because of faulty sensors or bad wiring. The solution is a modern FI system that will better monitor it's self and allow them to push the limits of what can be squeezed out of a waterboxer. I think they are up to 2700cc now.

Would I pay $3000 for modern FI on stock motor? No. Would I pay $3000 for the upgrade to go along with a performance motor? Maybe... Since my one van is technically a diesel and doesn't need to pass smog here in Crazyfornia, I could do my own version with mega squirt and tune it myself. The kicker is the CARB sticker. With that I can do whatever size motor I want in my other van with the confidence that the EFI system will work well with it and at the same time the smog tech won't have any way to know and I will still pass smog. If you want a high performance WBXer and have the coin for the new EFI, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Hans
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

What I will be curious about is if they can get better efficiency and/or power out of the new EFI in addition to reliability.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

That will depend on how aggressive they get with the timing and fuel maps since they can depend on the knock sensor to keep detonation under control. I wouldn't expect a big jump on a stock motor, though.

Hans
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

FWIW, I have a problem-free GW 2.5L WBX, so I'm interested.
ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

There was an update back in September, for anyone interested and following.

vanlover22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

New update January 2018!

"JANUARY 2018 UPDATE: We are done. Our development and testing efforts are complete, and we are building kits—likely at this very moment. Look for the official release of this system in January 2018!"

SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

http://www.gowesty.com/product/electrical/23981/gowesty-engine-management-system?v=
In their store now.
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

So, who's gonna' be first?! Still some catches (read the disclaimer). My thought leading up to this release was I wasn't going to purchase unless GW did the install. The parts do look like pretty good quality.

From the product ad.......

For many years now, the "Achilles' heel" of the 1986-91 Vanagon has been the antiquated and unusually problematic Digifant fuel injection system. Even when it was brand new, Digifant was far from perfect. Fast forward thirty years, and one finds that every wire, connection, and component has the potential to bring your perfectly planned road trip to a screeching halt. Volkswagen themselves knew the system had genuine flaws, as did every Vanagon owner, repair shop, and parts sales guy. Everyone loves the Vanagon, but we all knew that Digifant had to be replaced with something smarter and more reliable. But what would this be, and who would invent such a thing? Enter the GW-EFI: GoWesty's once-and-for-all answer to the nightmare.

For many years now, we have been exploring fixes, patches, upgrades and improvements for the Digifant system. We were convinced we could get it to work reliably, but we were wrong. Short of Volkswagen releasing all brand-new parts to completely replace the entire system, Digifant was going the way of the Dodo. If you're a history buff, you can feast your curiosity on the captivating tale here.

After housands of hours, test-miles, and man-hours, we are very proud to introduce the GoWesty Engine Management System.

Here is what this kit will do:
• Replace no-longer-available-new (NLA) Bosch components
• Improve reliability
• Improve fuel efficiency
• Improve performance

For a limited time, the GoWesty EFI system will also come with a free ScanGauge OBD-II Kit, a $249.95 value.
We have approximately 50 of these systems running currently, almost all of which have been installed here at GoWesty. The first kits we sell online will all be installed elsewhere, and we anticipate there will be areas where we can improve the installation instructions or process. In exchange for a free Scanguage kit, you agree to provide feedback on the installation instructions and process. In addition, you agree to make your system available to our engineering team to log on remotely to your system to check for malfunctions and make software changes if and as necessary, at no additional charge from GoWesty. Please note that you may incur additional labor charges at your shop for this time. If it is your preference to opt-out of providing feedback, please refrain from purchasing an EFI system until our feedback period has concluded. Thank you!

Last edited by Syncronoid on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Buy it with their new 2.7!

http://www.gowesty.com/product/rebuilt-engines/24748/2700cc-engine-?v=
dart330
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Quote:

Except the idle air control (IAC) valve. Not spending $3k on an FI kit that has not been tested with a readily available new IAC. Have had two crap out on me in the last year and only used ones are available. Brick wall
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

dart330 wrote:
Quote:

Except the idle air control (IAC) valve. Not spending $3k on an FI kit that has not been tested with a readily available new IAC. Have had two crap out on me in the last year and only used ones are available. Brick wall

New after market.
http://www.gowesty.com/product/latest-releases/20236/idle-air-control-valve-?v=
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Wow! They got even got the blessing of CARB for this.

Executive Order #D-786

I have to say I'm impressed by what GoWesty has accomplished. They've obviously put a lot of work into the R&D and the components look nicely made. I also admire their perseverance and commitment to evolving the original powertrain concept.

The price tag of a new GoWesty engine combined with this EFI system is pretty high, and there are good engine conversion choices in the same ballpark, so this obviously won't be an upgrade for everybody. But I am an admirer of well-executed products and I like the fact that there are so many good powertrain choices for Vanagon owners.

Looking forward to hearing of some impressions from early adopters.

D
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

For that kind of a cost, if I had the desire to use this system over stock on a stock engine, I would probably wait about 2 years to see the failure trends. I definitely wouldn't trust it on a road trip until I knew the ins and outs of the system enough to do roadside repairs on it. I would also like to see how WBX's respond to it on the long term. As far as cost effectiveness goes, this will not turn me from the Subaru side i've been on for a couple years.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: The New Gowesty EFI Parts Kit Reply with quote

Yes, you could put a standalone system together yourself. Tuning one is a different story. For someone not familiar with engine tuning software, there is a learning curve and you may not yield the performance of a stock system for quite sometime . Not saying it can't be learned.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 20

Jump to: