Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need help on what to do (rear brake drums)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Need help on what to do (rear brake drums) Reply with quote

Hello again, I’m back asking for your help and knowledge
I need a new set of rear brake drums, I have a wide five pattern drums in a four pattern 40mm shoes, I made a spacer to fit it like so, my question is, as I’m going to need to buy both the drum and the shoes, does the 30mm shoes are a better solution for the wide five drum? And does it fit on the 40mm back plate? Or should I keep the 40mm shoes and fit the drums with the spacer as it currently does?
I would buy a set of 181 drums but they are both expensive and rare
Thanks for any help or guiding points
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are Thing drums, these conversion drums, or trying to machine enough space into new '58-'64 drums to fit the wider brakes. I hear this works with some thin spacers so you can use the drum right to the inside edge.

Other than that, you can convert back to '65-'67 rear brakes. You will need good used backing plates, new wheel cylinders, and 30mm shoes.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I machined a set of rear drums for a buggy I built a couple years ago. I bought new '66 - '67 drums, machined the outside wear surface about an additional 1/4 inch, used the late '68 up backing plates with '68 up wheel cylinders and brake shoes. This was for a short axle/short spline swing axle tranny.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Cal Import has the Thing drums in stock.

http://www.socalautoparts.com/product_info.php/ind...05-p-13062

Even so, I would go with Joe's solution. Just be a kinda careful after you have them machined and reassemble and torque them to check very closely for any binding or interference, before you takeoff down the highway at full speed.
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing drums work great if you have long splines, if not, there is not very much meat left for strength after they have been machined to fit a short spline.

They also add about 1 1/2 inches per side in positive off set. For some, that is good, for some, it is bad because it pushes the wheel out from under the fender even more on a buggy.

I have several sets of the Thing rear drums and have tried them several different ways.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motoRAT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the help and info, I'll see what I can do
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Need help on what to do (rear brake drums) Reply with quote

I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I have a buggy with a swing axle tranny and needing to upgrade my rear brakes to the wider 40mm shoes. I don't have machining skills so what are my options for bolt on besides a disk brake kit? I'm assuming the axles are short spline, not 100% sure exactly how to check.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Need help on what to do (rear brake drums) Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I'm trying to wrap my head around this. I have a buggy with a swing axle tranny and needing to upgrade my rear brakes to the wider 40mm shoes. I don't have machining skills so what are my options for bolt on besides a disk brake kit? I'm assuming the axles are short spline, not 100% sure exactly how to check.

What wheel bolt pattern do you want? It will affect the available options.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Need help on what to do (rear brake drums) Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

What wheel bolt pattern do you want? It will affect the available options.

I want to stick with wide 5. I guess I could go 4 lug and use adapters, but trying to avoid the cost of wheels as well right now.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help on what to do (rear brake drums) Reply with quote

I popped over to look at your posted pictures. It looks like you have a short axle and short axle spline transaxle. The wheels are quite deep. All the stock short axles are short spline. 1967 long axles are short spline, 1968 long axles, and IRS Bugs, are long spline.

I would start with the question, why do you want to convert to 40mm wide shoes, and are you sure you currently have 30mm wide shoes? Converting to 40mm means you need to replace the backing plates and pretty much everything that hangs on the backing plate. One upside is the ability to swap around wheel cylinders to balance braking, but a proportioning valve in the front is another way to do that. After assembling the backing plates you need to get some drums that fit.

You will need to use the adapter drums, Thing drums (significant increase in rear track, hub will need to be machined down), or try and remachine your drums to get room for the wider pads. The change to long splines and 4 lug happened in the USA the same year as the 40mm wide rear brakes. The result is that there is no easy way to run wide 5 drums with wide brakes. The adapter drum is easiest, but not cheap!

My buggy is running stock '64 brakes with a dual circuit master cylinder and it works pretty well so long as I don't run really skinny front tires (135R15.) I may add a proportioning valve in the future to dial the front brakes back a little more.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help on what to do (rear brake drums) Reply with quote

Just bite the bullet and get rear discs......You know you want to...... Wink

For about $300.00 you can have any bolt pattern you want and never have to adjust the brakes in back again.

Mind you the Empi Kits are not exactly a bolt on experience but with a little work you will never have to mess with them again.

Mine are Chevy/Porsche pattern but they are available in wide 5 and 4 lug also.
You can probably switch to discs for less than new drums, backing plates, shoes and hardware.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help on what to do (rear brake drums) Reply with quote

Reason for wanting to change over to larger brakes is I seem to be locking the fronts too easily under hard braking. I’ve adjusted both front and back so they just drag, bled the lines using the slow pump and hold then bleed method and have good pedal but the rears just don’t feel like they are doing as much as they should. I do need to pull the rear drums anyways as one of the lug holes sis stripped so I figured if I’m replacing the drums anyways I might as well go bigger. Possibly part of my problem is the poor weight distribution, but there’s little I can do about that at this time as I’m not prepared to cut the hood to move the tank. Maybe Ill have to consider discs for the rear.
VW Aircooled Society
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Need help on what to do (rear brake drums) Reply with quote

Following
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joescoolcustoms wrote:
I machined a set of rear drums for a buggy I built a couple years ago. I bought new '66 - '67 drums, machined the outside wear surface about an additional 1/4 inch, used the late '68 up backing plates with '68 up wheel cylinders and brake shoes. This was for a short axle/short spline swing axle tranny.

I guess this is a good thread to extend on about VW Bug/buggy rear braking options. I purchased some new '66-'67 drums and took a few minutes to measure and compare to original '58-'64 drums. This thread inspired me to take a closer look. The later rear drums, including my Italian made replacement drums, are slightly wider.

'66-'67 drums increase your rear track width 6mm per side compared to the older smooth center drums used from '58-'64. The extra width is added to the area for the brake shoes, so it should be pretty easy to run these drums with '68 up 40mm wide rear brakes.

In the original drum on the left the width available for the brake shoes was 39.8mm. You can see the hole for the oil slinger at the back and it appears that the drum has been turned about 1/3 of the way into that hole. If you wanted to retain the oil slinger the available width for the shoe would be 2.6mm less (plus just a bit because that would be 0 clearance between moving and non-moving parts.) You can see where the 30mm wide shoe was seating in the drum.

The new drum on the right has a 42.5mm wide brake shoe face. It has the room to fit the later shoes as shipped but I don't know if the shoes would clear the inside face of the drum. It depends on where the later the backing plate locates the shoes. The distance between the inside edge of the drum and the face of the splined hub is the same on both drums. In other words, the inside edge of my 30mm wide shoes will land at the same spot on the new and old drums. This drum could be turned on a brake lathe to increase the available space outward another 4mm if desired.

BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
The new drum on the right has a 42.5mm wide brake shoe face. It has the room to fit the later shoes as shipped but I don't know if the shoes would clear the inside face of the drum. It depends on where the later the backing plate locates the shoes. The distance between the inside edge of the drum and the face of the splined hub is the same on both drums. In other words, the inside edge of my 30mm wide shoes will land at the same spot on the new and old drums. This drum could be turned on a brake lathe to increase the available space outward another 4mm if desired.

Good info! Thanks
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help on what to do (rear brake drums) Reply with quote

You could also consider putting rear Type III rear brakes on. They are larger then Bug so better braking. You can find plenty of information on the conversion in the HBB Off-Road Forums.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help on what to do (rear brake drums) Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
You could also consider putting rear Type III rear brakes on. They are larger then Bug so better braking.

There are nice new and relatively cheap Italian made Type 3 drums, but finding a good pair of Type 3 rear backing plates is getting difficult.

The 40 mm wide shoes in a 5 wide Type 1 drum is the next best thing
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help on what to do (rear brake drums) Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
You could also consider putting rear Type III rear brakes on. They are larger then Bug so better braking.

There are nice new and relatively cheap Italian made Type 3 drums, but finding a good pair of Type 3 rear backing plates is getting difficult.

The 40 mm wide shoes in a 5 wide Type 1 drum is the next best thing

...and that is my new dilemma.

My original plan to balance the brakes was pretty simple. I would run my '58-'64 brakes with 19mm "stock" rear wheel cylinders and then run 19mm Porsche 924 rear wheel cylinders up front. They would be wide slots but I have wide slot versions on the back now because the old ones started sticking 2 years ago and I was not able to source narrow slot wheel cylinders (even Wolfsburg West was selling wide slot.) Many have done this successfully and it has been working for me too, despite my reluctance. I would be running the brakes near 50/50 front rear (slight front bias because the shoes are wider and because the tires are smaller diameter.) Of course, I already have the new '58-'64 front and rear shoes.

Now I have the option of switching to '68 up rear brakes with short spline axles and wide 5 drums that don't significantly widen my rear track width. I also happen to have a set of '65 only front backing plates hanging on my garage wall (designed for wide slot wheel cylinders and adjusters, 3 resting pads for each shoe instead of 1 on the older backing plates.) I'm not sure what wheel cylinders I would run with this combo. 22mm all around would be very low pedal effort but perhaps too much travel in the event of a 1/2 failure. 17.5mm cylinders all around would make for high pedal effort, about 30% greater line pressure than a stock late model Bug. Perhaps that is not a big deal since my Mini-T should only weigh about 1200 lb.

Measuring my new and old drums gives me the following fit information. The current 30mm brakes will fit 3.5mm inside the edge of the new '65-'67 drums. The new drums have a 1.5mm chamfer on the inboard edge, so 41mm of braking face. There is a slightly longer outer bearing spacer (seal race) available that would move the drums out 2.3mm per side and that alone would allow the later brakes to fit, provided the later backing plates don't change the location of the inside of the brake shoe compared to the older brakes. I could also have the drum turned to get about 4mm more space for the shoes on my new drums, making the room without changing the spacer.

A question did pop into my head, do the larger type 3 rear drums clear 14 inch wheels? I don't think I need bigger brakes, my issues are more about balance. The weight distribution is shifted toward the rear compared to stock, a common issue for buggies.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help on what to do (rear brake drums) Reply with quote

Type 3 rear drums require long splines
parmaynu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help on what to do (rear brake drums) Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
Type 3 rear drums require long splines

You can machine the snout of the drum to fit short axles
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: