Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Facts about AAA you may or may not be aware of...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Facts about AAA you may or may not be aware of... Reply with quote

First of all to be eligible for towing you must be a "Plus" or "Premier" member.

You must first be a "Classic" member for 90 days to become a "Plus" or "Premier" member.

http://www.calif.aaa.com/home/membership/become-a-member/benefit-comparison.html

Second; classic members must currently pay $9 for 2 gallons of fuel. 2 gallons are free to other members.

AAA sells batteries. They are manufactured by Interstate for AAA and are black and branded AAA.

They will not sell you a battery without testing your system. It is a simple test but your car must be running to do it. It only take a few minutes at most.
THis is to ensure your car does not damage the new battery.

Batteries carry a great warranty, 3 years total replacement, 3 years pro-rated, delivered, installed and cost about $108 with tax (For Vanagons).

Replacement batteries are also delivered and installed, free of charge. No one else can beat this price and service, that i am aware of.

https://ww1.aaa.com/services/automotive/battery/ba...amp;club=4
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The classic or basic membership does in fact cover towing. Just 7 miles to the Nearest AAA or other repair facility.

Premier members get a 200 mile tow to wherever they want.
jpwerks Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Facts about AAA you may or may not be aware of Reply with quote

AAA MAY not tow that pile, you bought for parts,
if is not registered or insured.
Found that out 4 hours later...
other times, not a problem Question
2008 330i BMW
2000 jetta 1.8T
2004 Golf 2.0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Facts about AAA you may or may not be aware of Reply with quote

jpwerks wrote:
AAA MAY not tow that pile, you bought for parts,
if is not registered or insured.
Found that out 4 hours later...
other times, not a problem Question

I don't understand why anyone would expect aaa to tow a car that isn't licensed and insured. AAA isn't a free towing service it's emergency road side assistance that will tow if required, but it's not a towing service for any random car you want towed somewhere.
Joe Bence
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key is registered and insured.

My latest project was towed home by AAA had been sitting on a friends property for 4-5 years, un drivable but registered and insured. I found it hard to believe that AAA was going to deliver it home free of charge but they did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well here we go...

What you state as far as towing coverage and gas may be true for your Club but not all. Allied Motor Club (007) (formally know as Hartford Auto Club) you can get Plus membership right away and gas is what the driver has (we used to be $10 4 years ago). Oh and Basic for 007 is 5 miles or to the towing facility (overmilage is a per mile fee).

Battery testing test the battery in your car and the vehicle itself. It was so that the driver would not be installing a new battery in your 2 month old car. The tester has had problems in the past (real bad too...). The price for them is not that great, why do you think AAA pays the driver/ facility for "selling" batteries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth being a member in the long run overall.
Just inquiring. thanks

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a worthwhile membership. I got to use my card to help a friend get his DC towed from central Nevada to southern Idaho. Without it- we would have faced much greater expense getting home. That one use paid for my membership for several years- and favors for life from my friend.

I'll bet I save about $40 a year in hotel expenses by flashing that card around.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Facts about AAA you may or may not be aware of... Reply with quote

AAA is worth every dime. Don't ask me how I know... Smile
90volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. It's worth the peace of mind. Even if you never use it. And its nice that it goes with the person, not the vehicle. So if you're out with someone else in their car and it needs a tow, you can have their car towed.
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have Hagerty insurance they offer a tow package that is much better than AAA. I have the middle package which costs $50/yr. and covers unlimited tows up to 50 miles plus $100 per event for fuel/battery/key service and they guarantee flatbed towing every time.

Well worth the cost for me in addition to the insurance coverage.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 miles is fine in a metro area- but any trip for me is a minimum 350- otherwise, Hagerty is a good deal.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagerty's premium plan covers up to 125 miles but even that sounds like it wouldn't work in your case. The premium plan also covers all of your household vehicles, not just your classic.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must have - they should call it VWAAA!

Lat year I broke a CV at Crater Lake, Oregon. Got towed all the way to Roseberg for free. The shop needed a couple of days to get the part so the AAA trip interruption insurance covered our hotel room and half our food. I also get a discount on my home insurance, plus the various camp sites and retail outlets that give AAA discounts.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAA is well worth it, lots of options, we have had the Plus membership for many years.
My Wife & I get 5 tows a year (members over 5 years) our 2 kids get 4 each, thats 18 tows, 100 miles each, $225 a year.
Last week I got a flat on the way to work, used my little plug in air pump, got to work, it was 2 degrees out, called AAA, tire changed in a hour.
You can call them, tell them you were riding w/ your friend & their car died, they need it towed, done, all you need to say is that you WERE with them, you don't need to be w/ the car to get it towed, really.
I have had at least 10 non registered/ insured Buses/trucks ect. towed over the last 8 years, never a problem.
I pulled this '65 out of a feild:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

paid the driver $75 cash for the "extraction fee" and the 92 mile tow home was on AAA..... Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Facts about AAA you may or may not be aware of... Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
AAA is worth every dime. Don't ask me how I know... Smile

Ditto! Twisted Evil

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugginmiami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep worth every dime. Towed me home when my tranny blew up, would have been a $500 tow i think. And used it several other time.

They towed my bus home before i had it running etc. but it looked complete and fine. The guy was strapping it in and figured out the front disks didnt have calipers, and he said something, but he was... committed. So i tipped him a few extra bucks and all was well.

johnnypan wrote:
Never mess with a cat who smiles for his mug shot..he gives way less of a fuck than you do..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I think it's a worthwhile membership. I got to use my card to help a friend get his DC towed from central Nevada to southern Idaho. Without it- we would have faced much greater expense getting home. That one use paid for my membership for several years- and favors for life from my friend.

I'll bet I save about $40 a year in hotel expenses by flashing that card around.

AAA discounts apply to rooms rented by the hour? Now THATS good news!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAPA auto parts gives me a 10% discount on parts w/ my AAA...

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
90volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
Must have - they should call it VWAAA!

Lat year I broke a CV at Crater Lake, Oregon. Got towed all the way to Roseberg for free. The shop needed a couple of days to get the part so the AAA trip interruption insurance covered our hotel room and half our food. I also get a discount on my home insurance, plus the various camp sites and retail outlets that give AAA discounts.

How with the home insurance? your home insurer offers a AAA discount? Ive never thought to even ask that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: