Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cibie H4 headlights?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
Just misunderstanding.
I was talking about the h4s with the blue glass.

Captain was saying how they give the look of HIDs without the price tag.
Problem is they throw off even less than a regular h4 bulb.

I'd rather have headlights that look like regular lights and throw off good usable light instead of something that looks like HIDs and makes a 6volt beetles headlights blinding.

Ah ok. I see now. Yeah those cheap painted blue halogen bulbs are crap. A local HID/ sound shop here has HiD kits with a lifetime warranty for $100. Over 5 years on my gmc safari van, and 3 year on my bug, no problems Very Happy
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

Why the hell do they call it a gland nut. its obviously a big fat bolt!!!
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the "wide angle" amber LEDs in my turn signals with heaps of little LEDs facing every direction.

THey were bright enough from most angles but to cars sitting in the lane beside me in the middle of the day they were too easy to miss.
insane68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I went through a few different ones with a 72 Ford F100 before the Pilot brand at Autozone, the turn signals front and rear both are as bright as the rear parking/stop lights. I put read 1156 in the reverse socket and wired it for brakes as well to give an extra lighting experience, besides no one here ever looks for reverse lights lol
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've still got LEDs in my stop/tails.
From behind there is no missing them.

It was the turn signals I had dramas with.
insane68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just parking lights on, the brakes are almost three times as bright if not brighter.
These LEDs look like regular bulbs when lit but brighter.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just misunderstanding.
I was talking about the h4s with the blue glass.

Captain was saying how they give the look of HIDs without the price tag.
Problem is they throw off even less than a regular h4 bulb.

I'd rather have headlights that look like regular lights and throw off good usable light instead of something that looks like HIDs and makes a 6volt beetles headlights blinding.
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:

Proper projector HIDs are only hundreds not thousands and why people have the "look" when it throws out even less light than regular.

maybe I'm mis understanding, but are you saying HID's put less light then regular lights? My 6000K's are exponentially brighter then any halogen bulb I've ever had or seen Cool

And you should try the high intensity LED's. They are insanely bright. I have them on my brake lights, and even in the sun they are super bright Very Happy .
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Jacques wrote:

I think they're making blue bulbs to give the Xenon look, whilst saving you a few thousand bucks.

Proper projector HIDs are only hundreds not thousands and why people have the "look" when it throws out even less light than regular.

It's like those people who built 911 kit cars then left stock bug engines in them Rolling Eyes

mascrappo wrote:

I know you would show up Joel. How about Cibie? I am using your series Hellas now, stock setup. I am a sucker for brand name headlights on sale, hard to pass up a deal...

I've never used Cibie headlight inserts, only spotlights.
Ive had a few Cibie Oscars on various cars over the years and if they make their headlight inserts as good as their driving lights they should be good.

Although from earlys pics the lense patterns of the cibies are so close to the hellas it's not funny.

BugMan114 wrote:

Be careful with some of those LED bulbs. The ones with the plastic round titty lookin bulbs are damn near invisible with the sun on them. The high intensity ones that look like a tiny round disc on a circuit board, are the real deal. They are usually 20-30 bucks a bulb, and are super bright. If you look at the bulb when it's on, you'll be seeing spots for a few minutes after, XD

That is the reason I took my turn signal LEDs back out.
I replaced every bulb in my car except the H4s with LEDs many years back but in the mid day sun LED turn signals were just too easy to miss.
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cibie H4 headlights? Reply with quote

early wrote:
mascrappo wrote:
Any of you use Cibie E-code H4 headlights? RockAuto has new for $38 each, I think that is reasonable, but don't anything about Cibie (except usually very pricey). I use Hella now, and no complaints, but 4x4 crowd says Cibie even better? Now let's hear the real (VW) experts opinions.

I have an OLD pair of CIBIE E lamps that I had in a box for the last 30 years. installed them in my sport bug project. I like them over the stock sealed beams for sure.

A Sports Bug! Yeah, now I know what it will look like installed. Is the pattern at night as good as they say?
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cibie H4 headlights? Reply with quote

mascrappo wrote:
Any of you use Cibie E-code H4 headlights? RockAuto has new for $38 each, I think that is reasonable, but don't anything about Cibie (except usually very pricey). I use Hella now, and no complaints, but 4x4 crowd says Cibie even better? Now let's hear the real (VW) experts opinions.

I have an OLD pair of CIBIE E lamps that I had in a box for the last 30 years. installed them in my sport bug project. I like them over the stock sealed beams for sure.

my 73 sports bug project build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497088
Current Projects :
73 Sport Bug - L13M gone now
67 Westfalia
57 oval window ragtop - sold june 2021
61 sedan
68 Corvette Roadster - Small Block, 4 Speed
86 GMC Sierra Classic- 4x4, Shortbed
94 Harley Flstn
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Be careful with some of those LED bulbs. The ones with the plastic round titty lookin bulbs are damn near invisible with the sun on them. The high intensity ones that look like a tiny round disc on a circuit board, are the real deal. They are usually 20-30 bucks a bulb, and are super bright. If you look at the bulb when it's on, you'll be seeing spots for a few minutes after, XD[/quote]

Thanks, you are correct, I was behind a Suburban in broad daylight and could barely see their aftermarket LED bulbs!
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insane68 wrote:
I don't exactly but I do remember the ones I used in the tail lights were 1157 socket for the brake/parking light socket, 1156 socket for the turn signal and reverse lights and they were all red LED for the rear. The front was 1157 socket that was amber. They don't offer too many if not but one brand LED replacement lights which I believe Pilot was the brand name.

Be careful with some of those LED bulbs. The ones with the plastic round titty lookin bulbs are damn near invisible with the sun on them. The high intensity ones that look like a tiny round disc on a circuit board, are the real deal. They are usually 20-30 bucks a bulb, and are super bright. If you look at the bulb when it's on, you'll be seeing spots for a few minutes after, XD
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

insane68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I still have original wiring, flasher relay, and still running the generator and I have had zero issues. Yes we were talking about headlights. lol
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest $2???????????? You suck! Smile Maybe I will shop around the swap meets and see what turns up!

I like the rounded look on a bug, round bug, rounded headlight! The flat Hellas are OK, but personal preference is rounded.

insane68, pay no attention to hitest, I appreciate your LED input, albeit, I think we were talking about headlights? LOL

I will drop by Autozone this weekend and see what they got. The last thing I want to do is go through flasher issues, bike was a pain in the a$$.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mascrappo wrote:
hitest wrote:
mascrappo- funny you mention the 4x4 crowd with these lights. I've cibies in a bug- with stock 6v bulbs behind nonfluted lenses and they were okay. However, I bought a pair of 12v cibies for my '77 FJ-40 and they turned night to day! They were clearly up higher- and had a terrific period-correctness to them. I sold that rig and forgot to pull them! Otherwise- they would be in my '66 deluxe already. Buy the Cibies.

I wonder if the height to center of headlight is playing a key role?

I also forgot to pull a set of lights out of a truck I sold, still regret it 20yrs later LOL.

I like the Cibie look better than Hella in that Cibie has convex/rounded lense, not flat. But I am not sure for that alone I am willing to shell out $100.

That's awesome! In all fairness, my Cibies for the FJ came from scrapyard- got them for $2 a pair. The FJ's height may have helped- but I expect the 12volts in a bug to be just as effective. The set I have waiting in the wings are flat Cibies from a swap meet that will go in my '71 beetle- but they do lack the cool convex look. Any swaps in your area? I'm sure a pair will drop in.

In a side note: sorry insane68 thinks this is his show... he'll learn about threadjacking I'm sure.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
insane68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't exactly but I do remember the ones I used in the tail lights were 1157 socket for the brake/parking light socket, 1156 socket for the turn signal and reverse lights and they were all red LED for the rear. The front was 1157 socket that was amber. They don't offer too many if not but one brand LED replacement lights which I believe Pilot was the brand name.
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
Don't expect miracles from the blue bulbs, they throw off a nice cool blue light but that blue glass actually acts as a filter and reduces light output in most cases.
Not only that most of them are cheap garbage made in China.

I got a comparison pic somewhere of my bug with a blue bulb in one side and standard but same wattage in the other, the clear bulb had far more intense light and range.

Theres plenty of reviews on the net of all the different type H4 bulbs.
I'm very fussy with my lighting doing so much country driving at night.

I've found 100/90w H4s through relays and 6000K HIDs in hella driving lights leaves even the upmarket euro cars lights in the dark so to speak.

I know you would show up Joel. How about Cibie? I am using your series Hellas now, stock setup. I am a sucker for brand name headlights on sale, hard to pass up a deal...
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BugMan114 wrote:
I went with HID's, and some projector conversion lenses off ebay. the projectors distribute the light evenly, and don't blind the oncoming car. Its a radical difference from the old style glass headlights, and much better then regular H4's

I've used both 4300K and 6000K. 4300K is called OEM white which is as the name suggests just pure white light, and 6000K have a slight tint of blue. 8000K and up are just progressively deeper/ darker blue. 3000K is yellow, for that rally look I suppose. I stayed with the 6000K as it matches with my sky blue paint.

I would like to see a pic of it, sounds like a nice setup.
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
mascrappo- funny you mention the 4x4 crowd with these lights. I've cibies in a bug- with stock 6v bulbs behind nonfluted lenses and they were okay. However, I bought a pair of 12v cibies for my '77 FJ-40 and they turned night to day! They were clearly up higher- and had a terrific period-correctness to them. I sold that rig and forgot to pull them! Otherwise- they would be in my '66 deluxe already. Buy the Cibies.

I wonder if the height to center of headlight is playing a key role?

I also forgot to pull a set of lights out of a truck I sold, still regret it 20yrs later LOL.

I like the Cibie look better than Hella in that Cibie has convex/rounded lense, not flat. But I am not sure for that alone I am willing to shell out $100.
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

insane68 wrote:
I still have the original flasher relay in the car, the bulbs I used were all LED 1157 and 1156 from Autozone. Flashers and turn signals work fine without anything extra. I am not sure if this is something they fixed with the bulbs itself or not but everything seems to be okay. I even put a LED tag light bar from Autozone on it which I am about to swap for 4 LED license plate fasteners as soon as weather permits me to do so.

I am reaching, do you know which ones you got at Autozone, part #? My moto gave me fits when I changed to LED is why I asked.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: