Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Convertible 1965 pigalle restorations problems
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.oe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Convertible 1965 pigalle restorations problems Reply with quote

Hi everybody!
I am Roe from Germany...so sorry my english is not always perfect Confused
My bug is a convertible from 1965 with pigalle interior and now the time has come to bring my old lady in shape again Wink
The problem is the interior of the bug was exclusively build for the export, so nobody in Germany knows any details or can help me to find a new carpet and pigalle seat cushion.
Maybe one of you knows where to find and buy parts which are as close to the original as possible and also from decent quality.
I would be very very (!) happy for any kind of help.

Cheers from Germany Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was your car manufactured between Aug 1965- Dec 1965? Here in the USA, your car is considered a 1966 model.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
R.oe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouw that was quick Laughing
Yes, it was produced in august 1965 so after the summer break at Volkswagen. So it is year built 65, but 66 model.
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im no cabrio expert and could be totally wrong, but, I have an early 1966 pigalle/Pearl white 1300 deluxe beetle. I think your seats are 67 seats and the seats in a 66 saloon have plain vinyl bolsters and basket weave centres. They also have the seat tilt lever on the seat at the base near the rake adjusters. It also looks like your carpets are repros too, no big problem. I think West coast metric or TMI do reasonable repro seat covers in the original style
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
R.oe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your hint to West coast metric!
I knew TMI but the guy from Volkswagen Classic Part Center here in Wolfsburg told me that the quality is not very good Crying or Very sad
Jule is was built in 1965 but as a 1966 model, so with the interior from 1966, but you are right in mentioning that the carpet is not original.
At the moment it is a velour (?) carpet and I'm sure there must be a boucle (?) carpet (I hope it is the same word in english).
Do you have any idea where to buy a suitable carpet in the right color and material?
THANK YOU!!!!
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few pics of my '66 Kabriolett. I used TMI seat and door panels ($400US) and Wolfsburg West coconut fiber seat pads ($200US) Stainless door panel trims ($59US). The carpet is Red German Squareweave ($380US)

I am very pleased with the finished product

1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
notsnarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a number of '66 interiors, what I have learned is that the seat covers from all (TMI) US suppliers are as close as you will find. The front seats are accurate in their pattern, the rear is not as it has two individual panels of basketweave and it should be a single full width panel see here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1586938

Pictured is an original '66 only Pigalle rear seat, and in the same ad I have original carpet pieces. I searched high and low for the correct parts and finally gave up changing my interior to Ivory. I just don't have the heart to trash these pieces and hope someone would need them.
LEO66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Convertible 1965 pigalle restorations problems Reply with quote

Hi Roe and everyone else,

I know this is an older thread, but I've been googling the exact same topic and just came across your question! Great Bug you've got, and guess what - I just bought one just like yours (do you still own it though?).

Although I can spot a few differences, mostly regarding some additional chrome trim and the headlamp covers, in general our cars are like twins. Pearl white exterior, red interior ("luftdurchlässiges Kunstleder" - that's what VW-Classic says, but I am pretty sure it is pigalle), F-code engine, build date 18.11.65, shipped to the US one week later).

Unfortunately the original seat covers have been replaced with plain red TMI covers, and the carpet is of the cheap variety as well. Looking at your pics I can't see much wrong with your seat covers- But I am curious whatever happened since Feb. 01 2014. Did you restore it like you planned?

Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible 1965 pigalle restorations problems Reply with quote

Some nice 'vets in this thread!
If y'all haven't seen the Pigalle thread you might want to check it out and contribute if you can. Smile

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647414&highlight=pigalle

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LEO66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible 1965 pigalle restorations problems Reply with quote

That's a great thread, I had not seen it yet!

I'm no expert by any means, I got into bugs just a few weeks ago, but I keep noticing a few things. For once, the color name "pigalle" does not show up much in Germany, and I have not found out what it's called over here. Red I suppose.
Regarding the quality of repro seat covers I hear that TMI stuff is ok, but there are superior alternatives. WCCR has far more expensive covers, however without the basket weave texture if I stick to their recommendations. As the convertibles don't necessarily share all details with the coupes, do the seats differ as well? What I'm trying to say is, will a 66 coupe seat cover be ok as long as it is vinyl?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible 1965 pigalle restorations problems Reply with quote

Not sure if this helps in Germany. But here you go.

Look at this post. Find your year and model for paint and color combinations.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodestype1.php
Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Convertible 1965 pigalle restorations problems Reply with quote

this is the 66 only TMI seat cover set that is a faithful repro of the original

http://www.tmiproducts.com/volkswagen/browse-by-ve...sedan.html

and here it is fitted to my 66 saloon

the quality is good, the fit excellent and the customer service impeccable
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: