Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reupholster Seats
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reupholster Seats Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
Onward ...

Remember this old upholstery? Such aesthetic beauty and a fine rodental domicile. That was just the passenger side.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After stripping the seats down to the bare frames I could see some of the more serious damage. I knew the driver side had a broken spring - it ripped my pants the first time I drove the bus. Kind of like getting bit by a puppy before bringing it home.

I also found a "repair" that was just waiting for another ass to kiss. Yankee ingenuity, I guess.

Nothing a welder couldn't fix. So once properly repaired, I degreased and painted the frames and springs with a rust-neutralizer then spray canned them with a good coat of semigloss black to seal everything up. Lastly, shot the exposed parts in good 'ol Grey-Black so they'd appear as original. Nothing too exciting to see. Just lots of tedious cleaning and spraying.

Everything painted, it was time for reassembly. Here you can see the frames, new BusDepot seat covers, WolfsburgWest coconut pads, black fabric to place between the frames and pads, and (the wrong) jute padding to glue over and around the pads.

I cut the black fabric to size and positioned it inside the pad. The texture of the pad really keeps the fabric from moving around - no need to hog ring it to the frame as some have shown. Getting the first coconut fibre pad installed though was really kind of a b Crying or Very sad tch. They're understandably not made in real close tolerance and it really took a lot of pushing and pulling to get completely over the frame. Believe me, I tried several different ways and only one was successful. The second seat base pad went on much more easily.

Next was spray-gluing the cotton batting over the pad. I'm sparing you the photo of me using too-thick jute padding, running all around town trying to find something thinner, and locating the right stuff right back at Wolfsburg West. I don't know if they didn't carry it back when I bought the fiber pads or I just stupidly missed it, but I was sure glad they had it.

Now for the "fun" part. All the heating and stretching. Definitely a two person job and I can imagine VW had a special machine just for this. At last. One seat base reupholstered.

The base wasn't done without the track and adjustment mechanisms back in place. They beckoned in their freshly-painted Grey-Black glory...

Installing the tracks is a piece of cake. Installing them with the seat back and getting the pivot torsion rod in place and the pivot tube engaged with the adjuster ratchet mechanism is not. Crying or Very sad I figured it out eventually, but it is neither intuitive or easy. (No, I don't know the real names for these parts. Then again, I don't speak German.)

A seat base was complete! Very Happy

eche_bus wrote:
It takes more than a base to make a seat. Time to build a back.

Same basic construction. Black cloth under pad to isolate it from the metal springs. The back pad went on pretty easily, but didn't seem to really want to stay in place over the top where the headrest goes. Fortunately the rest of the stuff keeps it well in place.

I don't show the cotton batting that is glued over the coconut fiber pad. It's very much the same as the base, just a little more involved as it extends over the top and midway down the back of the seat frame. I guess we (my wife helped immensely with cutting/gluing the corners so they would be smooth) got busy and didn't think to take a picture.

I was told the back cover would be fairly easy to install. It was not, nor could I see how it would ever be. It's tight, real tight and it took every trick we could come up with to finally get everything in place and attached through the little metal hooks at the bottom of the back. No fun was had. Crying or Very sad
Still. The results ... not bad, right?

Now, I have to say, cutting holes in the nice new upholstery to fit the headrest guides ... kind of worrisome. To get this far and mess it up. Hard to even ponder. Survived the experience though. First VW seat reupholstery I've ever done. Very Happy What ya think?

streamr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work, well done. They look as new.
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done!
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Derek Cobb
Annoying

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice straight seams and no wrinkles or lumps. Outstanding job!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, my seat upholstery job is "famous"! Very Happy I didn't set out to make a tutorial or would have taken more photos of the steps. Anyways ... you can see the other seat come together in my build thread and am happy to answer questions any time!

Thanks for the nice comments, folks!
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did mine about 15 years ago I went with this route...

Great thing is they still look and feel like I did them yesterday. They are also not hot during the summer and warm during the winter.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes my fingers ache just lookin at this. Very Happy
philbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am doing the exact same thing and just got my covers from BD.. i need to get the pads and will follow your learnings

One of my seats is broken in the middle of the back rest, i need to take apart and weld. Ill check out your build thread for any more details i can leverage.

Thanks & great work!!!

phil.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philbur wrote:
I am doing the exact same thing and just got my covers from BD.. i need to get the pads and will follow your learnings

One of my seats is broken in the middle of the back rest, i need to take apart and weld. Ill check out your build thread for any more details i can leverage.

Thanks & great work!!!

phil.

Hopefully your not welding springs? That doesn't work as it makes the metal brittle.
orange540
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIce Job.

I have been search high and low to find an old seat for my 1977 Microbus (22) Type 2 to fix the couple of broken springs I have.

You're saying that a weld will hold on the springs??
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philbur wrote:

Thanks & great work!!!

phil.

any report on the quality of the BD covers?

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of things:
One of my springs was broken and I had it welded. Didn't see a problem where it would be likely to break again, although it likely depends a lot on where and how the repair has been made.

The covers you see in the photos are from BD. I had a problem with one set where it had been sewn crooked, such that the plaid pattern was noticeably skewed relative to the vinyl. BD exchanged it, even though it had been months since purchase. The other problem is a difference from original Westys. As best I can tell from photos of original buses, the major direction of the plaid pattern runs across the width of the seat. On the BD ones, the major direction runs along the length of the seat. This makes alignment of the back and the base more critical and will likely not come out exact. For what its worth, the BD covers are the only ones available. You could pay a shop to custom build a set to get the plaid oriented right, but the cost would likely approach 2X what the BD covers go for.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I saw GoWesty also has covers, and for those of us with blue/green plaid they are the only covers that feature the green vinyl (like my originals), not blue vinyl like in the Bus Depot covers. You may have to contact them to specifically ask for the green vinyl with the blue/green plaid covers...that's what I did.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=2758&category_id=162&category_parent_id=

Here's the response I received from GW-rep, Samatha, when I asked about getting blue/green plaid with green vinyl:

Hello Doug,

we can special order them for you. If you place your order online, please contact us immediately after with you order number. We can make sure the PO gets sent with the special order notes.

Please let me know if I can be of more assistance, thank you.

Samantha Wayne
Go Westy
1119 Los Olivos Ave
Los Osos, CA 93402
Ph: 888.469.3789 xt 140
Fax: 805.903.1048
[email protected]

Once again, this is a specific gripe for the blue/green plaid covers. Your green ones look great, and you did an excellent job!
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Cool Nice looking work! As said, the wrinkle-free and tight coverings look great. There is an old upholstery guy here in town who re-upholstered one of our overstuffed chairs. His iron handshake grip nearly caused me injury! Your comments about how strenuous the work is made me reflect on the old guy. Can't wait to get mine redone!

orange540 wrote:
...You're saying that a weld will hold on the springs??

I think what is trying to be conveyed is that welding a spring won't work in the long run.

It is my opinion that welding spring steel is something that is not generally done by the layman because the high carbon content of spring steel does not lend itself to the high temperature swings of electric or gas welding repairs. The weld becomes a soft spot in the works and will often fail again. If I am not mistaken, tooled steel and spring steel repairs need to be normalized and/or re-tempered in a kiln process based on the carbon content of the steel. Other folks here with more experience may clarify my point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These seat covers came out awesome ! I will be following what was done in this thread when I do mine.

I can't understand why a company that goes through the effort of reproducing parts ( or selling them ) wont have those parts reproduced EXACTLY as original. The blue vinyl on the blue plaid is ridiculous, WHY?? And orienting the plaid in the wrong direction? WTF ? These are two VERY minor issues that could easily be rectified by talking to the manufacturer.

My champagne edition westy uses the brown plaid and right now there seems to be a problem finding it. I hope this isn't a permanent issue. I will need that material in the near future.

In hope bus depot and go westy are reading this thread and make the corrections and get MORE brown plaid !!!!!

Same goes for those god damn pedistal mats !! If your not going to make a proper length swivel seat mat, then make them longer so that the guys with non swivel seats can just cut them to length rather than us with a swivel seat having to buy two mats and cobbling them together.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith, couldn't agree more about how crazy it is that things get reproduced wrong. After spending months and months ranting and raving about the crap that fills the VW repro market, I finally gave up and just stopped buying any reproduction stuff I didn't absolutely have to and switched to buying good used and NOS. In the case of the seat covers, they were the best solution available as I had no originals for someone to even use as reference to build a correct set. Throughout the bus I've had to make compromises that I wouldn't have considered for a minute when I restored my Mustang. Garbage in ---> garbage out. It's a hard pill to swallow, but sometimes settling for "doesn't suck quite as much" is all one can do.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you mentioned the primary direction of the plaid pattern...I never thought that it would be something to check, that repro'd parts might not get that right. I guess if you can request a certain vinyl color from GoWesty you might also be able to have them position the fabric has the plaid pattern in the appropriate direction.

The seats look really really nice, though! Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Keith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougB, my thought exactly on requesting they put the plaid on the correct way when ordering a set of covers. Hopefully they don't have some stupid reason for why they can't do it the correct way.

Just a note for some of you that are recovering everything in new plaid. The stools plaid runs the opposite direction of the seats ( or, the same direction as the aftermarket seat covers that are going in the wrong direction from factory) That's how Westfalia did it and it makes no sense.

"I firmly believe that some villagers from Botswana could probably build a better road than PennDot."- Splitty

"If you do anything to your car someone will hate on you for it. People absolutely love to complain and find fault with others. Don't let it bother you. Just live and have fun."- Lind
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Plaid Upholstery Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the Plaid upholstery, but like others have found, it's hard to find the color combos that best match your bus. Even then, the quality can be questionable. The cheapest and best thing I found to do was buy the appropriate color vinyl you need from a local upholstery store, get the appropriate color OEM Plaid fabric from Bus Depot, and the sisal (hair/coconut fiber) pads from Wolfsburg West. A reputable upholstery shop can sew the new covers using your supplied fabric and vinyl, using your old covers as a pattern. Mine came out absolutely awesome, so I did all of my seats. I can also share that the middle and back seat covers are way more difficult to install than the front ones, but still something the average do it yourselfer can handle. As for durability, the busdepot Plaid fabric has been in my car for about a year now and wears very well. It has faded a little, compared to some leftover scrap pieces I still have, but I live in an area that gets 300+ days of sunshine a year, so I'd say it has fared well.

LFL3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
Hey, my seat upholstery job is "famous"! Very Happy I didn't set out to make a tutorial or would have taken more photos of the steps. Anyways ... you can see the other seat come together in my build thread and am happy to answer questions any time!

Thanks for the nice comments, folks!

Yes, indeed, your seat upholstery job IS "famous" and I for one and mighty grateful for it!!!

About that...the roll of black fabric on your work table; and the finished product, (seat back) is a source of disagreement between Lynn and me. I 'know' this fabric as 'cambric' and Lynn says the examples I've shown him on the internet don't look the same. Could you help us resolve this disagreement and tell us what that fabric is? What weight is the product you purchased? Lynn had some guy tell him he needs 'jute felt' but that product is thick and the wrong color from every seat re-upholstery image I've seen. You're a rockstar Jon and I really appreciate the photos and your immaculate work!

lfl3
Lynn and Chandra
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: