Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reupholster Seats
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFL3 wrote:
eche_bus wrote:
Hey, my seat upholstery job is "famous"! Very Happy I didn't set out to make a tutorial or would have taken more photos of the steps. Anyways ... you can see the other seat come together in my build thread and am happy to answer questions any time!

Thanks for the nice comments, folks!

Yes, indeed, your seat upholstery job IS "famous" and I for one and mighty grateful for it!!!

About that...the roll of black fabric on your work table; and the finished product, (seat back) is a source of disagreement between Lynn and me. I 'know' this fabric as 'cambric' and Lynn says the examples I've shown him on the internet don't look the same. Could you help us resolve this disagreement and tell us what that fabric is? What weight is the product you purchased? Lynn had some guy tell him he needs 'jute felt' but that product is thick and the wrong color from every seat re-upholstery image I've seen. You're a rockstar Jon and I really appreciate the photos and your immaculate work!

lfl3
Lynn and Chandra

That black cloth is indeed called "Cambric". I can't tell you the weight I used as its darn near impossible to find anything in my piles of receipts right now. You just want to use a real light weight stuff, as all it does is keep the loose fibers from the coconut fiber (horsehair) seat pad from getting out. You don't want to add bulk with the cambric.

That jute felt stuff I mentioned in my original post as being wrong. Too thick! The thin padding that goes over the horsehair seat pad is relatively thin stuff. I mentioned getting the right stuff from Wolfsburg West, but can't for the life of me find it on their website right now. Call them and tell them you need the stuff that wraps over the horsehair seat pads they sell. Its the only place I could find it and ran and looked all over before stumbling upon it there.

FYI, I have extra Cambric on hand, more than enought to do two seats. I have enough of the thin padding stuff to do about 1 1/2 seats. PM if you run into trouble getting anything and I can give you a good deal.
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like it could be 'interfacing'.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
benrusso
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Reupholster Seats Reply with quote

I'm redoing my '76 seats using Wolfsburg's horsehair (coconut) pads. The back has been a huge challenge for fit. Major issue is the padding's headrest holes are nowhere near the frame's holes. Has anyone else encountered this? Any solutions out there?
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
You could pay a shop to custom build a set to get the plaid oriented right, but the cost would likely approach 2X what the BD covers go for.

Like these?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

These were done by an upholsterer in Santa Fe who is now gone (RIP) and for a very reasonable price. I was delighted that he got the plaid all aligned so nicely, without my even asking.

I know the green vinyl is not a great match. This was done years ago before the better green was available.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busboytom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster Seats Reply with quote

We found a set of roached Vanagon seats and had a local upholsterer outfit them with appropriate plaid over the winter. She too matched the plaid perfectly. Searched high and low for the green vinyl but couldn't find a good match. We agreed black was acceptable. Leaving arm rests off for now because they conflict with door arm rests, especially on the passenger side when rotated. Was fairly expensive but oh so comfortable. Ready for some extended windshield time!

JaimeH Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster Seats Reply with quote

benrusso wrote:
I'm redoing my '76 seats using Wolfsburg's horsehair (coconut) pads. The back has been a huge challenge for fit. Major issue is the padding's headrest holes are nowhere near the frame's holes. Has anyone else encountered this? Any solutions out there?
I had the same thing with one of my pair. The first one I did was off by over an inch. I ended up cutting and reshaping the top to align the holes. The second one fit perfect. I wish I would have just sent the first one back as it didn't turn out as well as the other.
thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Reupholster Seats Reply with quote

Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I'd ask here.

Has anyone used these GoWesty seat covers?
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=2763

These are the correct seat pads right?
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211881369C
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211881775C

These are my seats also. The bus is a 1973 with square backs and headrest holes:

60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ives676
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster Seats Reply with quote

thewalrus wrote:
Rather than starting a new thread, I figured I'd ask here.

Has anyone used these GoWesty seat covers?
http://www.gowesty.com/product-details.php?v=&id=2763

These are the correct seat pads right?
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211881369C
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211881775C

These are my seats also. The bus is a 1973 with square backs and headrest holes:

I also have the '73 seats with headrest holes. I used the wolfsburgwest cushions you linked. They worked well. For seat covers I went with Sewfine. Sewfine also had the headrest covers.

I had everything installed over my freshly restored and painted seat bases at an upholstery shop because the seat covers were so tight I was afraid I would rip them and I knew the upholstery shop would have some tricks to get everything to fit.
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster Seats Reply with quote

I also used the WW pads...with my original '75 blue/green plaid covers (still in good shape), some thick separation between the springs and horsehair pads and also a set of Install Bay back/bottom seat heater pads. If you live in a cold place wiring in seat heaters is easy, not very expensive and, well, now would be the time to do it.

- Doug Smile
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
L51C_75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster Seats Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
Onward ...

Installing the tracks is a piece of cake. Installing them with the seat back and getting the pivot torsion rod in place and the pivot tube engaged with the adjuster ratchet mechanism is not. Crying or Very sad I figured it out eventually, but it is neither intuitive or easy. (No, I don't know the real names for these parts. Then again, I don't speak German.)

Any advice on how to do this part of the reassembly? I am restoring the seats in my 77 Westy and cannot figure this part out. Currently I have the seat assembled but without the torsion return spring in place. Do I need to take it all apart and install the spring prior to attaching the backrest on? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
bus68us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster Seats Reply with quote

L51C_75 wrote:
eche_bus wrote:
Onward ...

Installing the tracks is a piece of cake. Installing them with the seat back and getting the pivot torsion rod in place and the pivot tube engaged with the adjuster ratchet mechanism is not. Crying or Very sad I figured it out eventually, but it is neither intuitive or easy. (No, I don't know the real names for these parts. Then again, I don't speak German.)

Any advice on how to do this part of the reassembly? I am restoring the seats in my 77 Westy and cannot figure this part out. Currently I have the seat assembled but without the torsion return spring in place. Do I need to take it all apart and install the spring prior to attaching the backrest on? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Maybe you already figured this out but in case you haven't. My wife and I just completed this job for our 77' Westy. The ratchet side of the torsion bar needs to go under the cover plate with the adjustment handle on the first tooth.

The way I did this was to attached the seat tracks by the front bolts loosely, then insert the torsion bar into the right side hooking the tensioner to the right cover plate. Secure the back of the right track and tighten both right track bolts. Take the ratchet side of the torsion bar and use to screwdriver or your thumb to slide it under the left cover plate while holding down the adjustment handle and pushing the cover plate toward the seat and seating the torsion bar in the hole. Hold it there and bolt down the back of the left track.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster Seats Reply with quote

would it make things easier to compress the springs a bit, and wrap some string around the frame to keep it compressed? then after slipping on the covers, reach in and cut the string and pull it out? for the base at least. where you can have some access after the cover is on?
bus68us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster Seats Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
would it make things easier to compress the springs a bit, and wrap some string around the frame to keep it compressed? then after slipping on the covers, reach in and cut the string and pull it out? for the base at least. where you can have some access after the cover is on?

We just flipped it over and sat on the bottom to compress the springs and secure the lip of the seat cover Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster Seats Reply with quote

Anyone know the correct amount of fabric to order to cover the both front seat and middle console top?

ALSO
Any difference between Go Westy and Bus Depot?
Quality or ?

Likes or dislikes (brown for a 78 if you got extra)
Thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1speed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster Seats Reply with quote

I am in the process of reupholstering my seats and ordered fabric from Wolfsburg west.

For comparison, I laid the old covers over the new fabric. I ordered 4 yards (folded in half for the photo) but you can see that if you want the black lines in the plaid to line up like the original, it takes up more than half.

My front seats and center stool will probably use up the 2 yards, if I try to get the plaid patterns of the old and new lined up.

FYI, the fabric is a perfect match and has a nice lining on the back. Can't wait to get them stitched up. And the service was fantastic.

Hope that helps
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Reupholster Seats Reply with quote

I used 5 yards of plaid from Bus Depot for my front, middle, and back seats. A local upholstery guy sewed them up and lined up all plaid perfectly and I still had some left over. You don't have to align your plaid exactly the way the factory did it, just align your first piece to whatever pattern is centered across the seat bottom, and keep that consistent with the seat back. repeat that for additional seats.

Page 7 of our restoration thread below describes the upholstery work we did.

Baywindow Plaid Upholstery
JPSummers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster Seats Reply with quote

I'm in the process of removing the Brown Plaid and replacing w/ Porsche Red Tartan #45. The back seat/bed is done, the other cushions are being finished as I write this.

Though I have a temporary hang up on the Front Seats. A P.O. replaced them with I don't know what, they're just wrong and don't fit or work properly. So finding original Front Seats is a current issue. I'll also need Upholstery Patterns for them.

Does anyone have Patterns, Links to Patterns or know who to contact?

highlandmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster Seats Reply with quote

Just did the first of my Westy seats, with covers from Sewfine.

The seat backs, did not come with the metal rods at the bottom where the ends go over the hooks.

I took them out of my old ones. You can slide it into the green vinyl of the sewfine cover. Made it easier to hook the vinyl over the spikes on the seat frame.

The plaid side of the back cover is not folded over to accept the metal rod, but is reinforced with another layer of fabric.

Last edited by highlandmurf on Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster Seats Reply with quote

What company did you purchase those covers from?
highlandmurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Reupholster Seats Reply with quote

Sewfine.
Really nice fit and quality.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: