Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jbugs or CIP1?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or CIP1? Reply with quote

Normally I wouldn't revive an ancient thread. But having made many purchases with Jbugs and many other VW retailers, I figure my experiences might help others who are considering an upcoming purchase.

Given the choice between JBUGS and anywhere else, I would definitely go with anywhere else. Though their items are pretty much equal to others in terms of quality, I've been given the run-around with Jbugs time and time again.

This isn't a case of sour grapes because of one bad transaction. The truth is, I'm from the San Diego area and try to support the local businesses. Much the same as Lingwendil I have had to endure several god-awful instances with Jbugs. Finally, I learned my lesson and moved on to other suppliers. I haven't experienced a single sub-par issue since then.

When it comes to dealing with Jbugs, do so on a "buyer beware" footing. Or better yet... just save yourself the hassle and shop elsewhere.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or CIP1? Reply with quote

whale wrote:
Normally I wouldn't revive an ancient thread. But having made many purchases with Jbugs and many other VW retailers, I figure my experiences might help others who are considering an upcoming purchase.

Given the choice between JBUGS and anywhere else, I would definitely go with anywhere else. Though their items are pretty much equal to others in terms of quality, I've been given the run-around with Jbugs time and time again.

This isn't a case of sour grapes because of one bad transaction. The truth is, I'm from the San Diego area and try to support the local businesses. Much the same as Lingwendil I have had to endure several god-awful instances with Jbugs. Finally, I learned my lesson and moved on to other suppliers. I haven't experienced a single sub-par issue since then.

When it comes to dealing with Jbugs, do so on a "buyer beware" footing. Or better yet... just save yourself the hassle and shop elsewhere.

Tag that onto their Seller feedback thread here too, will help everyone to make their informed choices regarding sellers.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=134927
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
whale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or CIP1? Reply with quote

Wow! Some of the stories shared in the link were pretty darn horrendous.

It's amazing how some companies treat their customers with such little respect. You'd think they would want their customer service to be as good as possible since the customers are, after all, their prime source of income.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or CIP1? Reply with quote

whale wrote:
It's amazing how some companies treat their customers with such little respect. You'd think they would want their customer service to be as good as possible since the customers are, after all, their prime source of income.

Much easier to keep a customer than to find a new one !!!

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or CIP1? Reply with quote

Listen - I have dealt with a BUNCH of the vendors out there over the years. Crap happens sometimes with any of them. CIP1 is my primary, but have been happy with J-Bugs as well.

Aircooled.net is a real good one - just a lot slower, BUT John is an amazing help and if I have something challenging, I definitely use them.

Hell, I was pissed off at CB Performance for 10 years over someone not replacing a defective sway bar bushing. All good now, but got the wrong person on the wrong day.

There are at least 7 or 8 other popular vendors that I use on occasion and have no problem with any of them. The only place I will not use unless someone is holding a gun to my head is Mid America.

Typically, if you have a problem with a part or order, act in a reasonable manner and treat your vendor with respect and courtesy, you will get things resolved. It didnt work for me only twice. And if you are looking for the cheapest parts you can find.....don't bitch if they are crappy...
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or CIP1? Reply with quote

cip sends knock offs counterfits of counterfeits. it's entirely your choice. can you tell the difference? they may also send the real deal, but Ive never seen it from them. hmm...CIP??? China Impostor Parts .! Wink
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or CIP1? Reply with quote

Just getting back into the air cooled world after a long hiatus. My first few orders for random tune up stuff and German running boards was through Jbugs. I quickly learned my lesson.

Wtf are these Bosch plug wires they sell?? Certainly not what I remember. All molded one piece and the engine tin seals do not fit whatsoever. Complete crap.

Would also be nice if when you placed an order for items that “seem” like they are in stock, but aren’t, they might let you know that you payed for something that you aren’t going to receive. Found out weeks later that the running boards aren’t in stock and no eta.

Sorry for the rant, I hate bad mounting. But....these plug wires, though. Wtf.

Edit:
I’m using the wires, temporarily until I find real ones. Good thing I checked the plug ends to see if they snapped on with or without the screw on tip on the plug. These require the tip to stay on the plugs. Boots had to be trimmed to allow clearance to be pushed down on plug as well. Very Happy

I’ll have to take the plugs back out to unscrew the tips once I find good wires. Very Happy Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or CIP1? Reply with quote

Everyone has those crappy wires. They USED to be really nice until a few years ago. Been buying these anymore. https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2D111%2D998%2D031%2DA

It's not J-bugs fault - You assumed that the Bosch wires were as good as they used to be and didn't know better. I still have a set in my inventory that I only will use in the shop on the test stand, but wont use on a customer car.

Gotta watch and check parts. Honestly for the most part things seem to be getting better. There are some really good body panels available now. Some decent low priced carbs, etc. Just try to shop more carefully. Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brando90gl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or CIP1? Reply with quote

These are the Bosch wires that I got from Jbugs....

https://www.jbugs.com/product/09001.html

However, studying the pic, those actually look like the “three pice” old school wires, just not the brown Bakelite ends? The ones I received are Bosch, but are all one piece molded rubber. Not modular like I remember. Part#09001 made in USA on wire insulation.

The link from Cip1 looks the part, but are these Empi? I’m assuming so. They may actually be better than the so called 09001 that I have?

I know, it’s not really Jbugs fault. It’s me, I should have known 09001 weren’t really 09001. I’ll get back in the groove sooner than later, I’m sure. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Jbugs or CIP1? Reply with quote

The packaging does not say Empi anywhere on the ones I got. The wire quality looks really good for a mid grade wire. Then ends look no different than the old Bosch ones. And contrary to what has been going around for a while, EMPI is not always junk. I use a lot of their stuff and its been getting better over time.

I am with you on how disappointing those Bosch wires are. I double and triple checked my order the first time I got them. There are other wire options out there. Just saying what I have started using and they seem good. I would run them in my own cars. And if I wouldn't, I sure as hell wouldnt in a customer's car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: