Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

Busdepot wrote:
Alaskaberrys wrote:
If I have an aftermarket headlight relay kit already installed like GoWesty's or T3's, which kit would we order? I'm assuming the Ultimate kit would just be replacing these? Would the Upgrade kit too? Trying to avoid duplicating parts (I've got T3's headlight kit) but would like to maximize the light.

If you already have a relay kit, all you need is the "upgraded" kit (which still includes a better wiring harness than you have now, so I recommend it over the basic kit). However it comes with 55/60 watt bulbs rather than the 90/100 watt bulbs that come with the Ultimate kit, since it assumes you don't already have a relay kit that would support 90/100 watt bulbs. Since you do have one, you can use the brighter bulbs if you prefer. If you want them, they cost $14/pair more. On checkout, note that you'd like the 90/100 watt bulbs and are willing to pay the $14 upcharge. When the kits come in you'll get an email or call, and you may want to reiterate it then too just to make sure the comment isn't overlooked in the hustle of packing and shipping so many of these kits all at once.

Hi Ron. I have an "upgraded kit" on order, and have been talking to Jay & Ryan trying to get my order noted to include the 90/100 watt bulbs, but they're having difficulty adding that to my order without a part number. Can you help?

I already have relays installed in my van so that's why I didn't order the "ultimate" kit.
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

Bus Depot shipped my E Code lights last week. I’m excited to get them in hand and try them out.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

Same here! Except I'm on the West coast and they don't arrive until Friday...

I'm looking forward to better light looking forward!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

T3 Pilot wrote:
No smarter than your average bear..... taking note of the degree of difficulty required to line things up using an alternate lamp bucket, I thought why not use the VW lamp "bucket" which requires sawing apart the reflector portion of the VW lamp assembly.

I liked your idea of tapping those corner mount points, so my goal was to see if they would sit inside the VW lamp "bucket" that I fabricobbled with my die grinder. They fit perfectly. As you noticed, the front face of the headlamp sits well back from where the original tapered glass lens followed the curve of the grille, and the original adjustment points are intact, so no modification of the grille is necessary for clearance of the lense or accesss to the headlight adjusters.

Kudos to those before me that came up with the general idea.....

T3, how did everything turn out for you ? So, you used the vanagon oem modded headlamp bucket, stock adjusters, the beams from the Ford Focus ? I think I need to read back through the posts again make sure I got a bit of a shopping list based on how you did this mod ....
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

oooops this is the e-code/Ford buckets DIY thread.

Edited my post & copied over to Bus Depot New Vanagon Rectangular headlamps

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
xavior12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After reading this post and all the other versions of doing this upgrade I thought I'd give a go at my idea of making the conversion.

I had two broke lenses already and so i broke out all the glass. I cut the mounting flange off the back of the broken lens but only enough to fit over the new H4. As you can see in the photos that the new H4 fit just right in the original lens housing. I carefully marked and drilled out the corners of the housing to mount it to the back of the H4 in the corners. The H4 corner holes needed to be drilled to an 1/8" hole to use an 1/8" steel pop rivet. As you can see fits just right. I then purchased all the new stock headlight adjusters and mounted the new conversion. I did just barely clearance the grill on the drivers side low beam but the fit is nice and uses the stock adjusters. I have yet to adjust but will report back and with close side shots.
So really the only cost is the new lights, bulbs, adjusters and pop rivets.

Hope this can help others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

xavior12 wrote:
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2162707.jpg[/im
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2162706.jpg[/
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2162705.jpg[/
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2162704.jpg[/
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2162703.jpg[/
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2162702.jpg[/
[img]https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2162701.jpg[/

After reading this post and all the other versions of doing this upgrade I thought I'd give a go at my idea of making the conversion.

I had two broke lenses already and so i broke out all the glass. I cut the mounting flange off the back of the broken lens but only enough to fit over the new H4. As you can see in the photos that the new H4 fit just right in the original lens housing. I carefully marked and drilled out the corners of the housing to mount it to the back of the H4 in the corners. The H4 corner holes needed to be drilled to an 1/8" hole to use an 1/8" steel pop rivet. As you can see fits just right. I then purchased all the new stock headlight adjusters and mounted the new conversion. I did just barely clearance the grill on the drivers side low beam but the fit is nice and uses the stock adjusters. I have yet to adjust but will report back and with close side shots.
So really the only cost is the new lights, bulbs, adjusters and pop rivets.

Hope this can help others.

Wow!
Back on March 16 I posted this, getting ready to reuse the VW headlamp bucket! ........

Now I don't need to blaze the path but simply follow your trail!

djkeev wrote:
Didn't do much today.
Other responsibilities and crappy weather.

I did investigate mounting my Hella eCodes using the original VW headlamp frames.

I smashed out the glass and used a heat gun to remove the sealer and glass shards adhered to the metal reflector.

No cuts, no blood!

Normally one would get headlamps from an old Ford Econoline or similar.

Now really? Where's the challenge in that?

Dave

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimnto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

I have my rectangular lights out and i don't want to cut them. What about using a 'U' on either side of a replacement 6x7 headlight - to 'sandwich' the edge and then use the existing headlight adjusters except mount them in your new 'U' one for either side.

Would the 'U' on either side - and perhaps install and extra adjuster (so you are using 4) and perhaps a spring to draw the "U's together would that not be easier to fabricate??
I am sure I am not seeing something - and I am not a fabricator - but I am imagining I can get a piece of metal bent into a 'U' and shape it with my angle grinder
jimnto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

Cutting and shaping the fire buckets seems like a bad idea.
I bought two buckets and three retaining ring and I do not think it makes sense.
I am going to use aluminum plywood 'U' channel and sculpt it to sandwich the lip on either end of the new sealed beam. I am going to rivet these onto aluminum angle and either I will use the existing VW headlight adjusters or I will rivet a step off metal across the back of the headlight assembly and use rivet nuts to make my own adjusters

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

I am in the process of making the stock VW rectangular headlight metal bits accept a Hella E code head light.
Let's see how it goes..........

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rectangular E Code Headlight Upgrade-Hella Kit/Ford Buckets Reply with quote

jimnto wrote:
Cutting and shaping the fire buckets seems like a bad idea.
I bought two buckets and three retaining ring and I do not think it makes sense.
I am going to use aluminum plywood 'U' channel and sculpt it to sandwich the lip on either end of the new sealed beam. I am going to rivet these onto aluminum angle and either I will use the existing VW headlight adjusters or I will rivet a step off metal across the back of the headlight assembly and use rivet nuts to make my own adjusters

Dear god don’t use the hecho in PRC lights you shown, get some tried and trued E-code glass lamps. https://www.danielsternlighting.com/products/products.html
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: